Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

^ Does that map above use the same number of properties? They also may have wanted to avoid crossing the CP Rail line and the complexity/grade that would have brought.

^ Does that map above use the same number of properties? They also may have wanted to avoid crossing the CP Rail line and the complexity/grade that would have brought.
I'm not sure but most of the properties between Commercial Rd and Industrial Rd nobody will mourn the loss of, and really can't be developed with any intensity without creating a traffic jam since there is a lack of north-south roads in the area, and it is near the limit of how far a person would be willing to walk from Laird station. The Ontario Line is supposedly already elevated through the whole area so going over the tracks doesn't seem like a big issue. The amount of land could be refined as it seems that the area in red here is greater than the proposed MSF. My main point is that the land around the Ontario Line station is prime land, and the future of the land between Industrial and Commercial Rd and the St Mary's plant has a future of becoming a big box parking lot potentially with a big traffic jam to go with it.

I'm not sure but most of the properties between Commercial Rd and Industrial Rd nobody will mourn the loss of, and really can't be developed with any intensity without creating a traffic jam since there is a lack of north-south roads in the area, and it is near the limit of how far a person would be willing to walk from Laird station. The Ontario Line is supposedly already elevated through the whole area so going over the tracks doesn't seem like a big issue.
Issue would be weaving it through the hydro corridor

Well that property is getting developed more appropriately for a site next to a subway / LRT / bus station. Perhaps it could have gone even more densely, but compared to a subway parking lot it is a far better use of land.
Well there is no reason we couldn't have done both, you can build the yard and then develop the air above it. It wouldn't be a new idea either considering there was a time when the TTC considered selling the air rights above the Davisville Yard, although that never happened.

It is very interesting the heart and soul of Thorncliffe Park will get expropriate including Iqbal Foods which is the largest South Asian cultural grocery store that every South Asian from the area and from far visit. Also seems as though the mosque "Masjid Darussalam" is getting expropriated which will send shockwaves in the muslim community in the area.

With that being said East York Town Centre is in a ripe position for a developer to take over and construct 20-25 condos on lol.

I am supportive of the MSF location as long as they address the community concerns.

View attachment 311390

It's actually a lot bigger than I thought. My hope though is that we can still have the archery range in tact, both during construction and after. A handful of postwar buildings are replaceable, but open park land big enough for free archery not so much.

Oof. It's like Metrolinx saying "hi there large important immigrant and lower income community! Do you mind if we bulldoze 3 culturally-important uses for a noisy railyard and develop what's left with some condos which will be out of your price range?"

It's disasterous PR and and a good way to promote wholesale gentrification even if it's unintentional.

Wonder if they ever considered shifting the hydro corridor so they could consolidated the parcels along the rail corridor into something useful? This split MSF seems like a massive headache to operate.

I suspect this is going to change quite substantially.

While it's not coming back. The benefit of the Relief Line using TTC vehicles was that Obico Yard was available for relatively uncontentious and easy yard expansion to service the vehicles But different fleet means different yard and here we are.

Oof. It's like Metrolinx saying "hi there large important immigrant and lower income community! Do you mind if we bulldoze 3 culturally-important uses for a noisy railyard and develop what's left with some condos which will be out of your price range?"
It's disasterous PR and and a good way to promote wholesale gentrification even if it's unintentional.
Wonder if they ever considered shifting the hydro corridor so they could consolidated the parcels along the rail corridor into something useful? This split MSF seems like a massive headache to operate.
I suspect this is going to change quite substantially.

Of course, it is Kathleen Wynne's riding and hasn't been PC since 2003. I doubt Metrolinx would care *that much* about it if their political bosses aren't super-concerned about it being a riding that matters. And of course history is replete with examples of LULUs getting dumped into communities with lower levels of political power.

re: Celestica lands

It was not owned by the province to begin with - if they want it, they'd have to expropriate it from Celestica long before it was sold to Aspen Ridge, because AR is owned by the DeGasperis family.

AoD

Last edited:
Metrolinx, facepalm - again.
It just seems so odd that the area seems to have been chosen from the beginning of the Ontario line - no consideration of other locations from the beginning (north of Science Centre, the Portlands, building the Obico yard for Line 2 so Ontario can have Greenwood etc).

Hopefully the train storage area will be designed for overbuild/built below grade - otherwise it would be a tremendous waste of space right next to a brand new rapid transit station...

"We've actually decided to build the line as far as Sheppard, because it gives us better access to some industrial land that the community doesn't care about so that we can build a yard" /s

Hopefully the train storage area will be designed for overbuild/built below grade - otherwise it would be a tremendous waste of space right next to a brand new rapid transit station...
Going by the plans for the Yonge North extension, and the fact that the OL is being VE’d - dollars to doughnuts it won’t be designed for overbuild.

I also think they’re gonna plow ahead with this location regardless of community concerns.

MX needs to tread carefully. Moving without regard for community concerns will breed opposition to any and all transit expansion in the GTHA
Metrolinx does often make community concessions without changing their core design idea, but just do it in the worst way possible from a PR management perspective. Look at Davenport Diamond, and what they are doing along the rail corridor in Riverdale now. Locals are still pissed, but metrolinx does make some major concessions often.

Back