News   Apr 25, 2024
 358     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Once T.I.F.F. returns and closes king for the festival street again it would be useful to have an easy way to get around it with out the king cars going on to Queen or Dundas

Cheaper solution, have the Red Carpet folks arrive by the King Streetcar, leave the street open (to Streetcars)

Cheaper solution, have the Red Carpet folks arrive by the King Streetcar, leave the street open (to Streetcars)
Unfortunately the organizers of it want to close the street during weekdays for it they think that the festival street is more important than inconveniencing transit riders.

There's one quote there that bugs me:

“We will always need weekend closures... but the number we immediately require will go down,” he said.

I know we're not NYC and we're not going to get 24 hour subway service, but it's disappointing that we can't consistently rely on having full use of the subway system. Over the past five years I've frequently gone to the nearest TTC station and been caught off-guard by closures of sections, to the point that I've accepted driving as a more consistent alternative.

When these closures were instituted half a decade ago by Andy Byford, they were sold as a temporary measure for the ATC resignalling and to fix a dangerous backlog of maintenance. For instance, in this article from 2017 warning that the closures would continue all the way through to 2019:

"Once we've got the system back to a state of good repair and get it into a modern state, then we should be able to maintain it overnight."

So it looks like the TTC has taken weekend closures as their new way of work for maintenance.

There's one quote there that bugs me:

I know we're not NYC and we're not going to get 24 hour subway service, but it's disappointing that we can't consistently rely on having full use of the subway system. Over the past five years I've frequently gone to the nearest TTC station and been caught off-guard by closures of sections, to the point that I've subconsciously accepted driving as a more consistent alternative.

When these closures were instituted half a decade ago by Andy Byford, they were sold as a temporary measure for the ATC resignalling and to fix a dangerous backlog of maintenance. For instance, in this article from 2017 warning that the closures would continue all the way through to 2019:

So it looks like the TTC has taken weekend closures as their new way of work for maintenance.

In theory, with full ATC, during low-frequency service periods, it should be possible to route around closed sections that are being worked on.

Infrequent cross-overs remain a big problem; but you also need sophisticated signally to allow trains to head in opposing directions on the same track (at a substantial distance), and feel safe about it, while doing it a reasonable speed.

The areas closed are often far larger than those actually being worked on.

It might mean reducing weekend service to every 10 minutes over an affected section but should be workable.

Line 1 is pretty close to enough cross-overs, if they are all operational, and ATC to do this now.

Line 2 would almost certainly require some expensive changes to add a couple of cross-overs that are not currently present.

Unfortunately the organizers of it want to close the street during weekdays for it they think that the festival street is more important than inconveniencing transit riders.

I agree that's a problem; and the answer to their request/demand needs to change to "No"

TIFF is important to Toronto; but its most important for three reasons:

1) The people, locals and tourists attending the movies and spending $$$ in local restos and such.

2) The brand-recognition the City gets from international coverage

3) The deal-making that goes on behind close doors, but brings many a high-roller to town and keeps Toronto in the mix on major deals in cinema.

Only #2 links in any way to the 'Red Carpet' phenomenon.

To which there is a simple answer.

The Elgin/Wintergarden can do red carpet w/o requiring closure of a major transit route.

So can Roy Thomson Hall

So can Elizabeth Bader

There's no need for the Red Carpet in front of TIFF's building.

Its far from the most attractive venue or streetscape we have.

The ego-play for TIFF bosses needs to end.

Most of the subway closures is on Line 1. The extra-time for the closures would be of benefit reducing the time needed for the work on Line 1.

The bad news is that the TTC will not have the "benefit" times when they have to do the same ATC installation and asbestos removal for Line 2.

The bad news is that the TTC will not have the "benefit" times when they have to do the same ATC installation and asbestos removal for Line 2.
Is there much asbestos on Line 2? It was mostly in the tunnelled sections of Line 1 that opened in the early 1970s. There's very little of non-cut-and-cover tunnel on Line 2; a bit near Sherbourne and a bitt between Woodbine and Main ... and both from much earlier periods (perhaps other sections that I haven't noticed?)

Is there much asbestos on Line 2? It was mostly in the tunnelled sections of Line 1 that opened in the early 1970s. There's very little of non-cut-and-cover tunnel on Line 2; a bit near Sherbourne and a bitt between Woodbine and Main ... and both from much earlier periods (perhaps other sections that I haven't noticed?)

It may not be in the tunnels. Think about all the nooks and crannies surrounding them.

Keep in mind that there are access hatches at the end of every platform. You can quite literally climb out of the station.

1617886571173.png

The Agenda for next week's TTC meeting is up.

From the CEO's report (assorted highlights):

Full report here: http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...April_14/Reports/1_CEOs_Report_April_2021.pdf

1617901298252.png

1617901340210.png

Also a list of what the TTC says it accomplished during last months closure of the University Line:

1617901474328.png

On ridership:

1617901537594.png

On, the perils of building a subway station at the bottom of a floodplain:

1617901737021.png

On the perils of seemingly not having installed backflow preventers:

1617901799021.png

Back