Toronto Love Park | 3m | 1s | City of Toronto | CCxA

They are on schedule.
5C4B3230-F60D-440E-BB2C-2739233AB502.jpeg

I guess the first step will be removal of those remaining pillars (bents?). Good they finally decided to exclude them from the design. We already have these relics on Lake Shore East, where the Gardiner used to be. Preserving them would be like preserving a corner of the parking lot in, say, CIBC Square - just so you can remember there used to be a parking lot there.

I guess the first step will be removal of those remaining pillars (bents?). Good they finally decided to exclude them from the design. We already have these relics on Lake Shore East, where the Gardiner used to be. Preserving them would be like preserving a corner of the parking lot in, say, CIBC Square - just so you can remember there used to be a parking lot there.
I think the ones on Lake Shore are going to go too once the easternmost section of Gardiner goes.

I think the ones on Lake Shore are going to go too once the easternmost section of Gardiner goes.
I don't mind them, and am indifferent to their fate. The strip of land where they stand is too narrow to be a park. Besides, that stretch is mostly industrial - I don't foresee people flocking to the area even if that strip is redeveloped into something more attractive.

Are they saving any of those trees?
I thought some of them were to remain and only the ones in poor condition are being cut back.

I think I found the answer below,

As part of this work, a total of 7 trees will be removed. A separate special notice will be issued in advance of tree removals. In the fall of 2020, Waterfront Toronto had arborists undertake important maintenance of the trees on site to ensure the health and longevity of these remaining trees before, during and after construction. This work included: • Dead Wooding: common and important part of maintaining tree health that helps prevent the spread of rot throughout the tree. • Air Spading & Root Pruning: Air spading is a safer, less invasive way for arborists to maintain root health than manual digging and avoids damaging the root system. Pruning is done in advance of construction on the site to minimize the risk of doing damage to important root systems during construction. Root pruning helps to encourage growth of new feeder roots.

Find out how we are increasing Love Park’s tree canopy by 37 new trees, plus a wide array of other flora and fauna, through this blog. For more information about York Street Park (Love Park), visit our website: www.waterfrontoronto.ca.

Are they saving any of those trees?
I thought some of them were to remain and only the ones in poor condition are being cut back.

I think I found the answer below,

As part of this work, a total of 7 trees will be removed. A separate special notice will be issued in advance of tree removals. In the fall of 2020, Waterfront Toronto had arborists undertake important maintenance of the trees on site to ensure the health and longevity of these remaining trees before, during and after construction. This work included: • Dead Wooding: common and important part of maintaining tree health that helps prevent the spread of rot throughout the tree. • Air Spading & Root Pruning: Air spading is a safer, less invasive way for arborists to maintain root health than manual digging and avoids damaging the root system. Pruning is done in advance of construction on the site to minimize the risk of doing damage to important root systems during construction. Root pruning helps to encourage growth of new feeder roots.

Find out how we are increasing Love Park’s tree canopy by 37 new trees, plus a wide array of other flora and fauna, through this blog. For more information about York Street Park (Love Park), visit our website: www.waterfrontoronto.ca.

Yes, I think a few that are cut down are Norway Maples - an invasive species - that are otherwise "healthy".

AoD

No real progress in the last 2 months........... :confused:

Pics taken May 23rd, 2021:

1621880532653.png

1621880556313.png

So that we don't end this post on too sad a note; bonus shot of Harbour Street along the north side of the park.

Trees performing very well!

1621880622795.png

Have to say though.....not crazy about the parking job on display!

Nice - and handsome pooch! He/she will get a new place to play here soon.

AoD

As long as he/she is leashed and 'playing' on the path. There's zero point investing in nice parks if you can't enjoy them or the grass/trees get soaked with urine.

Last edited:
Have to say though.....not crazy about the parking job on display!
Sidewalks in Toronto = single "lane" side roads for vehicle drivers.

...I say this as I was almost run over earlier by a FedEx delivery van using one today. /sigh

Back