Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Friday afternoon.
9A1CECCA-3915-4CAD-9E9E-7A13032A9E04.jpeg
E59813BB-C270-46B2-A794-DDA32B991385.jpeg

Drove by yesterday and was lucky to stop at a red light on Bloor so I could get in more than just a quick glimpse. Wow, the pics here are awesome but still don't do the structure justice fully. It has already transformed the dynamic and really the character of the intersection for me. The intersection just didn't feel the same – gave me NYish vibes and it already felt darker/shady too as if the tower was much taller and casting its shadow. On the NE corner there was someone on a loudspeaker making some sort of public announcement. His voice echoed in the intersection like in a concert hall. 1 Bloor E made the intersection prettier (and much taller obviously) but this is something else. It felt imposing, tough, enormous and slender all at the same time. As I’m sure has been recommended here already, you've got to see this in person if you can.

Last edited:
Drove by yesterday and was lucky to stop at a red light on Bloor so I could get in more than just a quick glimpse. Wow, the pics here are awesome but still don't do the structure justice fully. It has already transformed the dynamic and really the character of the intersection for me. The intersection just didn't feel the same – gave me NYish vibes and it already felt darker/shady too as if the tower was much taller and casting its shadow. On the NE corner there was someone on a loudspeaker making some sort of public announcement. His voice echoed in the intersection like in a concert hall. 1 Bloor E made the intersection prettier (and much taller obviously) but this is something else. It felt imposing, tough, enormous and slender all at the same time. As I’m sure has been recommended here already, you've got to see this in person if you can.
There probably won't be any sunlight on the street after this is built

There probably won't be any sunlight on the street after this is built
Do the way Yonge & Bloor intersection is situated, sunlight will always reach the street at certain points of the day regardless of how tall the buildings are around it. And more so at some points along the seasons than others. So we pedestrians won't be living under a constant New York shadow every time we cross this intersection as far as I am aware.

Do the way Yonge & Bloor intersection is situated, sunlight will always reach the street at certain points of the day regardless of how tall the buildings are around it. And more so at some points along the seasons than others. So we pedestrians won't be living under a constant New York shadow every time we cross this intersection as far as I am aware.

I posted the some of the shadow study images for 1 Bloor West, in this post: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...velopments-foster-partners.18167/post-1636800

Those are for March/September (so median sun height)

You'll see Yonge will still get some sun at mid-day, though only a couple of hours (at the Y-B intersection).

Bloor gets pretty much none.

Light levels will be even lower in December; but higher in Summer.

I'll add the June shadow studies for those who are interested.

It does show the Y-B area getting more light than in March/September, as one would expect.

Though you don't really get any morning sun at all. (that's mostly on 1 Bloor East)

1614003792416.png

1614003834737.png

1614003870456.png

So on the sunniest day of the year (if it's sunny); Bloor East of Yonge would see sporadic sun from Noon-2pm 'ish; and full sun from roughly 4-5pm. '

I posted the some of the shadow study images for 1 Bloor West, in this post: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...velopments-foster-partners.18167/post-1636800

Those are for March/September (so median sun height)

You'll see Yonge will still get some sun at mid-day, though only a couple of hours (at the Y-B intersection).

Bloor gets pretty much none.

Light levels will be even lower in December; but higher in Summer.
Thanks for the detail explanation and diagrams. To be clear, it my impression that a certain point during the day the sun directly lines up with Yonge St. (North and South) and during the year, lines up Bloor St, regardless what is built around it. Unless I am missing something...the understanding the sun never will reach this intersection because of The One would be false. I do agree that there'll likely be a lot less sunlight here outside of those points due to The One, however.

Thanks for the detail explanation and diagrams. To be clear, it my impression that a certain point during the day the sun directly lines up with Yonge St. (North and South)

This is true; though as shown in the June 21 imaging, that time is quite brief. At 12:18pm, the sun is still ever so slightly to the east, and so 1 Bloor East casts a partial shadow.

By 1:18pm, only an hour later, there is already a shadow from 1 Bloor West.

and during the year, lines up Bloor St,

True again, and Bloor does a bit better than Yonge, probably getting a full hour of sun between 4-5pm

regardless what is built around it. Unless I am missing something...the understanding the sun never will reach this intersection because of The One would be false. I do agree that there'll likely be a lot less sunlight here outside of those points due to The One, however.

Correct. There will be very little sun; a bit less than before; 1 Bloor East before this had a very large impact on sun levels here.

Though, it's important to realize that because Yonge Street isn't precisely straight, as additional tall towers are built further south, it may be the case that most remaining sun will be foreclosed.

Though, it's important to realize that because Yonge Street isn't precisely straight, as additional tall towers are built further south, it may be the case that most remaining sun will be foreclosed
Yes...that's the important detail I was looking for. Therefore, it now appears if we ever get a perma-shadow on that intersection it will unlikely be from The One only.

Thanks for explaining that all. /bows

Back