News   Apr 25, 2024
 293     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

It's more important to distinguish between different types of service than different agencies. Tourists don't care about who runs the trains, they just want the system to be easy to use.

The problem with the TTC logo is that it doesn't identify rapid transit. It never has. It's found on subway stations, streetcar stops, and bus shelters. It's just a corporate logo. All it says is that there's some kind of transit run by that agency, nothing more. Sounds like the Metrolinx T isn't going to be much better.
Absolutely different services would ideally be more important but they need to know the operator so they know whether their transfer or day pass is valid, or if they'll have to pay again. The operators will have to be listed until the fares are completely integrated so people know what they'll be paying and if they've already paid for it.

Well in pretty much every case around the world its the same. Any transit agency that uses a T or an M does so because that's literally the agencies logo. Metrolinx to me is literally trying to re-invent the wheel here. TfL is probably one of the only agencies that distinguishes its services and even then they all use the same roundel since they are all owned and operated by the the same agency.
There are only a few agencies that use T as an agency logo and put it on all modes of transit. The only ones I can think of are Boston and Minneapolis. Translink puts T everywhere but does not use T as its logo. (Also, Scandinavia doesn't count, because there, T just stands for T-banen/T-bane, just like german U for U-bahn.)

And as for M, you'll pretty much never see M on a bus. Only on the metro network. M means metro, i.e. subway, not just any transit. If you see an M in Paris, or Shanghai, or Moscow, or Tokyo, that is always a metro station. Never a bus, or streetcar, or anything else.

And yes, sometimes the M is the agency's logo. But, that's typically only the case when the agency operates only the subway and not any of the other modes, so effectively the M still just means "metro/subway". For example, Shanghai Metro's logo is M, and so is Tokyo Metro's logo, but neither of those operate buses and thus M is only found on subways.

The only exception for M that I can think of is LA Metro, which puts M on everything and uses it as a logo.

The problem with the Metrolinx T is that it conveys no information - nothing about modes (unlike, say, a bus icon, or an M) and nothing about fares (unlike the TTC logo). Not even anything about the agency operating the service (even though that isn't really useful information)! It just takes up space.

There are only a few agencies that use T as an agency logo and put it on all modes of transit. The only ones I can think of are Boston and Minneapolis. Translink puts T everywhere but does not use T as its logo. (Also, Scandinavia doesn't count, because there, T just stands for T-banen/T-bane, just like german U for U-bahn.)

And as for M, you'll pretty much never see M on a bus. Only on the metro network. M means metro, i.e. subway, not just any transit. If you see an M in Paris, or Shanghai, or Moscow, or Tokyo, that is always a metro station. Never a bus, or streetcar, or anything else.

And yes, sometimes the M is the agency's logo. But, that's typically only the case when the agency operates only the subway and not any of the other modes, so effectively the M still just means "metro/subway". For example, Shanghai Metro's logo is M, and so is Tokyo Metro's logo, but neither of those operate buses and thus M is only found on subways.

The only exception for M that I can think of is LA Metro, which puts M on everything and uses it as a logo.

The problem with the Metrolinx T is that it conveys no information - nothing about modes (unlike, say, a bus icon, or an M) and nothing about fares (unlike the TTC logo). Not even anything about the agency operating the service (even though that isn't really useful information)! It just takes up space.
It really seems like Metrolinx trying to bring about some sort of unity where none exists. Like you said either the logo is specific to a service or all services are operated by the same agency. In our case we have multiple agencies and multiple services offered so this half-assed attempt at unified way-finding means nothing as you said. We can look at Tokyo and New York as opposite ends of the spectrum. In the case of Tokyo there are multiple agencies operating transit and so there is not single unified logo since that won't work due to each service being independent from the next. On the opposite hand you have New York City where all service fall under the operation of the MTA and thus all use the MTA logo. Metrolinx is in essence trying to apply a New York solution to a Tokyo problem if you catch my drift.

Last edited:

I like it. Toronto/GTHA has always lacked a generic "there's transit here" symbol - and the T will do. The "London Transport" roundel used on bus flags, outside Tube stations and at Docklands Light Railway/Tram stops in London means nothing, it's just a shape - but around 100 years of use has etched the meaning of the roundel into London, and Londoners.

Hopefully the T is rolled out sooner rather than later - and y'all get used to seeing it everywhere. Makes perfect sense to me to have a T sitting proudly next to a TTC logo and a Line 1 bubble.

Yes I know Ottawa's O is much more attractive, stylish and nice looking - too late, you can't steal it

Attachments

• twitter_EshyCsiXUAEHKK5.jpg
    twitter_EshyCsiXUAEHKK5.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 171

I like it. Toronto/GTHA has always lacked a generic "there's transit here" symbol - and the T will do. The "London Transport" roundel used on bus flags, outside Tube stations and at Docklands Light Railway/Tram stops in London means nothing, it's just a shape - but around 100 years of use has etched the meaning of the roundel into London, and Londoners.

Hopefully the T is rolled out sooner rather than later - and y'all get used to seeing it everywhere. Makes perfect sense to me to have a T sitting proudly next to a TTC logo and a Line 1 bubble.

Yes I know Ottawa's O is much more attractive, stylish and nice looking - too late, you can't steal it
And therin lies the problem. Its not replacing the TTC logo or any other agency logo, so what is its purpose? It's not a notification that there is transit nearby because the TTC logo already does that and will have been doing that for 100 years come September 1st.

That's the idea - that the T is a unifying thing, wherever you are in the GTHA, and whatever mode/agency you're looking for.
If they wanted unification, they'd use an orange line 5 logo. The T is just confusing, as elsewhere GO is using it for bus stops. If you start sticking it on the doors of a subway station, then people will start wandering inside looking for bus platforms. Elsewhere, I've seen GO using it on maintenance facilities, that have no transit stop!

If they wanted unification, they'd use an orange line 5 logo. The T is just confusing, as elsewhere GO is using it for bus stops. If you start sticking it on the doors of a subway station, then people will start wandering inside looking for bus platforms. Elsewhere, I've seen GO using it on maintenance facilities, that have no transit stop!
I am almost certain Metrolinx's incompetence here is going to lead to people questioning if Line 5 is part of the TTC network since unless I am missing something there appears to be no TTC signage. So by the looks of it we have a line that is fully part of the TTC network with TTC fares but has no signage indicating such and infact has a completely different logo from what may appear as a completely no existent agency. Looking at the picture you gotta ask "Who owns/operates the line? I thought it was the TTC". Well it is but Metrolinx's ineptitude knows no bounds.

Something like this should've been implemented at the very least.

View attachment 295935
I get what they're trying to do. Like when you see a lowercase i in a circle you'd probably think it's an information sign, they're doing the same but with transit. I don't understand though why they didn't follow their own guidelines and but the operator underneath like that^. No one would be complaining if the ttc logo was under the T. Let's hope it's a sticker they put on later.

I get what they're trying to do. Like when you see a lowercase i in a circle you'd probably think it's an information sign, they're doing the same but with transit. I don't understand though why they didn't follow their own guidelines and but the operator underneath like that^. No one would be complaining if the ttc logo was under the T. Let's hope it's a sticker they put on later.
Well Metrolinx not following there own guidelines is nothing new, need I remind you about their "Crosstown Naming guidelines" which they for some reason needed. Sure anybody could have just opened Google Maps to pick out station names, but why do that when we can piss away tens of thousands of dollars on know-nothing consultants who are just gonna tell us what we already knew! Hows about such wonderful names like "Aga Kahn Park and Museum"? Short and to the point right!!!! Can I interest you in some "Cedarvale (formerally known as Eglinton West)? Our guidelines said we won't rename existsing stations but by-god we did it anyway :))))))!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or what about Sloane? everyone said it should be named Bermondsey but that sounded to "corporate". What does that mean? Hell we don't even know ourselves. METROLINX!! We make you loose faith in the idea of a unified Transit network in the GTA!

I am almost certain Metrolinx's incompetence here is going to lead to people questioning if Line 5 is part of the TTC network since unless I am missing something there appears to be no TTC signage. So by the looks of it we have a line that is fully part of the TTC network with TTC fares but has no signage indicating such and infact has a completely different logo from what may appear as a completely no existent agency. Looking at the picture you gotta ask "Who owns/operates the line? I thought it was the TTC". Well it is but Metrolinx's ineptitude knows no bounds.
How the hell is a random person supposed to distinguish a GO bus stop from a TTC bus stop, if all they’re putting is this useless generic “T” on the stop signage. The obvious solution is to put the agency name, but judging from these images, it appears that they’ve opted not to do this??

Pretty sure the lack of the TTC logo here has nothing to do with improving way finding, and everything to do with convincing the public that Metrolinx can be a real transit operator, in case a future government ever wants to revive the subway upload proposal.

How the hell is a random person supposed to distinguish a GO bus stop from a TTC bus stop, if all they’re putting is this useless generic “T” on the stop signage. The obvious solution is to put the agency name, but judging from these images, it appears that they’ve opted not to do this??

Pretty sure the lack of the TTC logo here has nothing to do with improving way finding, and everything to do with convincing the public that Metrolinx can be a real transit operator, in case a future government ever wants to revive the subway upload proposal.
They're going to have the agency name as the first thing visible under the T, like so.
1611540259365.png

Back