News   Apr 15, 2024
 882     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 641     0 

North York City Centre (Yonge & Sheppard)

^They'll probably have to relocate again in a few years when Centerpoint is redeveloped

A couple months ago, at community consultation for Yonge Street North Secondary Plan (Yonge corridor between Steeles to Cummer/Drewry) City Staff emphasize they spoken to CenterPoint Mall and reassured the community CenterPoint Mall would be staying - the mall acts as a community hub!

Of course, CenterPoint Mall itself haven't had any major renovations in decades,... parts of it looks like a time warp from the 70's - especially the food court. It's basically waiting for demolition! Any redevelopment of CenterPoint Mall in say 10 years time when Yonge Subway is closer to completion???,... would likely involve redevelopment of the huge amount of surface parking space surrounding CenterPoint Mall - probably with the mall itself relocating closer to the corner of Yonge & Steeles where new Subway station & new bus terminal would be,... with the new CenterPoint Mall acting like a podium mall for towers above,...

So it'll be incorporated into the new redevelopments

I'm pretty excited at the prospect of a subway station at Steeles and a redevelopment of CenterPoint Mall.

Regardless of other failures (e.g. delay of the Relief Line), such a change to the Yonge & Steeles intersection can only be regarded as positive change.

What's up with the Yonge street project (remaking Yonge from Sheppard -> Finch) ? Is there a new timeline ? I haven't heard any discussions about it in ages now.

Of course, CenterPoint Mall itself haven't had any major renovations in decades,... parts of it looks like a time warp from the 70's - especially the food court. It's basically waiting for demolition!

Wow; I just got hit by another nostalgia trip when you mentioned CentrePoint Mall.

During my childhood and throughout my teenage years, I visited the place at least twice a month. Known as 'Towne and Country Square' back then I primarily visited 'Oceania' that sold Marvel and DC Comics. That was before 'Shooting Star' opened its location a few blocks south of Finch on the east side of Yonge. There was another comic book store right at the southeast corner of Yonge and Finch. My memory suggests the place was called 'Paradise Comics', and its owner at the time, Joel, had a falling out with the owner of 'Shooting Star' apparently.

Silver Snail, formally at, 367 Queen St. West will always be my favourite comic book store. I must have spent many hundreds of dollars and many, many dozens of hours there from the late 1970s through the mid 2000s.

What's up with the Yonge street project (remaking Yonge from Sheppard -> Finch) ? Is there a new timeline ? I haven't heard any discussions about it in ages now.

City Council likely don't have the votes to support TransformYonge (4-lanes plus bike lanes) so City Staff keep delaying when it'll come back to council - was supposed to be early last Spring, then summer, now later this Fall - maybe!. Meanwhile, none of City Staff recommended options for Yonge Street downtown includes bike lanes - City Staff recommending more cycling infrastructure on Church St, Bay St and/or University Avenue downtown.

Anyways, for North York Centre, whether City Council goes for TransformYonge (4-lanes plus bike lanes) or EnhanceYonge (keeping 6-lanes) with TransformBeecroft (adding bike lanes to Beecroft),... construction won't be for another 5 years (and City Staff are trying are stalling Doris extension south of Sheppard to Avondale as they try to time it with possible TransformYonge lane reduction),..... so now they're doing temporary patch work to fix road & sidewalk on Yonge Street - the same type of temporary patch work they did about 5 years ago!!!!

err, why 5 years away ? Was that always the plan i.e. ~ 2025 construction ? It sucks as Yonge street is a mess (both from a driving and a pedestrian standpoint).

err, why 5 years away ? Was that always the plan i.e. ~ 2025 construction ? It sucks as Yonge street is a mess (both from a driving and a pedestrian standpoint).

The plan keeps on getting pushed back - the unofficial plan now to get approval is City Staff delaying debate at City Council,.... and pro-Councillor getting deferrals,... until they can get a favourable vote at Council.

City of Toronto has no money,....
- Yonge Street in North York Centre was rebuilt in early 1970’s (probably 1973-1974) for Yonge Subway extension from Eglinton station to Finch station (Wilson station opened 1973, Sheppard & Finch Station open 1974) - City is now stretching the next rebuild of Yonge Street to it’s 50 year lifetime - making rebuild for 2024
- Last Spring, City recently approved budget for next 5 years,... it does NOT include Yonge street rebuild in North York Centre as City Council still haven’t decided between $50million TransformYonge (4-lane with bike lane) VS $49million EnhanceYonge (6-lanes) with $9million TransformBeecroft (adding bike lanes to Beecroft)
- that 5 year City budget does include Beecroft Extension north of Finch to Drewry/Cummer with some smaller expense starting in 2023 (design?) and majority of expense in 2024 (construction) - which is about the time M2M phase 1 with it’s J-road going east of Yonge at current 5800 Yonge North York Hydro building would be completed - but just north of there the Beecroft extension north would need land conveyed/expropriated from Conservatory Group’s Ruby condo proposal - which is not officially an active development file - they’re still holding everyone by the balls!

If you think Yonge Street was a mess before,... you should come check it out now - its chaos with the recent lane reduction due to the recent road & sidewalk patching work - bringing Yonge Street road & sidewalk up to city’s standard of “state of good repair”,... making rebuild less necessary,...

It's huge, so odd though, it has a large grocery section, not 4 steps away from a full fledged Loblaws ...

I mean there are many options of course; Narrow down the search criteria i.e. what location specifically / what amenities / what size unit / what price range ... for older buildings with large floor plans (of which there are many), my only suggestion is too carefully review the reserve fund. It's a bit difficult to do without prior experience (and your lawyer will take a quick glance).

I mean there are many options of course; Narrow down the search criteria i.e. what location specifically / what amenities / what size unit / what price range ... for older buildings with large floor plans (of which there are many), my only suggestion is too carefully review the reserve fund. It's a bit difficult to do without prior experience (and your lawyer will take a quick glance).
Looking for very central North York with underground subway access, pool, gym, good maintenance and management. I was doing some research and saw Ultima and Broadway are these good buildings have they been renovated recently the common corridors as they are more than 15 years old

Except for pool, the Pinnacle right at Empress Walk checks all the boxes, you can always go to the public pool beside the Meridian Arts center. Sleep country is gonna take over the old Shoppers location near Ultima

Back