News   Mar 28, 2024
 363     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 276     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 306     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

Is it me or does it seem like there's a few too many accidents on this project?

This is at least the third major accident with this project, including one accident that I personally witnessed, where more than half a dozen pedestrians were trapped under rubble. I'm not going to say Crosslinx is being reckless (accidents are always going to be a risk, regardless of the precautions taken), but they really do need to take a long hard look at their safety procedures here.

Traffic Change at Don Mills Rd and Eglinton Ave E
November 30, 2020
What Work is Taking Place?

As early as November 30, the traffic configuration at Don Mills Rd and Eglinton Ave E will change to accommodate the next stage of construction. Two eastbound traffic lanes traffic lanes will be open. East of Don Mills Rd, a single lane will be maintained for traffic travelling westbound. The pedestrian crosswalks on the west and south side of the intersection will close, while the east pedestrian crosswalk reopens. The sidewalk along the northeast corner of the intersection will reopen. All turns at the intersection will be reinstated. This stage will be in place until July 2021, approximately eight months.

What to Expect

The work zone on the southwest corner will be reinstated. The work zone on Eglinton Ave E will be reduced. The pedestrian crosswalk on the west and south side will be closed and the east pedestrian crosswalk will open.
Traffic Details
  • Two lanes will be reopened for traffic travelling eastbound.
  • One lane will be maintained for traffic travelling westbound, east of Don Mills.
  • All turns will be reinstated.
Pedestrian Impacts
  • The south and west pedestrian crosswalk will be closed.
  • The north and east pedestrian crosswalk will be open.
  • No impacts to TTC bus service.
Hours of Work
  • The traffic configuration will be implemented as early as Monday November 30
  • This stage will remain in place for approximately eight months
  • Work may occur from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., seven (7) days per week, Monday through Sunday
  • The contractor may not always work during the permitted hours but may do so at its discretion
  • Work may be rescheduled due to weather or unforeseen circumstances
  • This work may be longer or shorter than expected
Other Impacts
  • Due to the nature of this work, at times there will be noise and vibration around the work area

This is at least the third major accident with this project, including one accident that I personally witnessed, where more than half a dozen pedestrians were trapped under rubble. I'm not going to say Crosslinx is being reckless (accidents are always going to be a risk, regardless of the precautions taken), but they really do need to take a long hard look at their safety procedures here.

Say what now? Can you provide more details?

Looks like they got the crane out.
IMG_20201124_131723.jpg

Say what now? Can you provide more details?

April 18, 2016. Crosslinx was performing demolition at the Northwest corner of Eglinton/Bathurst to make way for Forest Hill Station. An excavator accidentally push a brick wall onto the sidewalk below. There were more than half a dozen people on the sidewalk below, including a newborn baby and her mother (you can see the stroller in the picture below). Fortunately the scaffolding formed a protective bubble around the pedestrians, meaning that none of them were left with anything more than minor injuries. This incident could’ve easily had multiple fatalities given the circumstances.

I was walking on the south side of Eglinton Ave, directly across the street, when the accident happened. I could’ve very well been trapped under that rubble as well if had I decided to walk on the north side.

IMG_4980.JPG

Back