News   Apr 19, 2024
 481     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.6K     2 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

what you lose in "wasted space" you gain in operational flexibility. There's very little need to run a 3 car train at 11 PM most of the time.

This is something we always hear with systems . . . we can run shorter trains and save money etc. I don't see it being done very often. In Vancouver yes but the M-Line isn't changing its config at rush hour.

If this was the case too then I am sure we could safely run Line 2 as 4 car trains for much of the day too . . .

They should take a cue from.... VIVA and build fully covered stations.

Viva should take a cue for this and improve the 40 minute headways haha

This is something we always hear with systems . . . we can run shorter trains and save money etc. I don't see it being done very often. In Vancouver yes but the M-Line isn't changing its config at rush hour.

If this was the case too then I am sure we could safely run Line 2 as 4 car trains for much of the day too . . .

Viva should take a cue for this and improve the 40 minute headways haha

While the TTC runs only 4-car trains on the Line 4 Sheppard theses days, they did run 4-car trains on Lines 1 and 2 on weekends and late at night.

If you are referring to the TTC here....

A quick look at the service summaries or the schedules would make is pretty obvious that no, they couldn't.

Dan

New date for opening is now 2025 if no more accidents happen.

The recent few accidents are really worrying - the dangerous engineering is supposed to be nearly over with tunnelling and station excavation nearly done...

I do hope it's not a sign of anything worse - lax standards, shoddy management or rushing to get the job finished...

New date for opening is now 2025 if no more accidents happen.

Fact-checking time....suddenly everybody is speaking in the plural. I know of only two recent incidents, the Leasiide landslide and now this. Are there others that I have overlooked?

This incident while serious is not necessarily of the nature of the fatality that triggered a lengthy stand-down and investigation back in the TYSSE project. I don’t see it slowing the project unduly..... depending on what the investigators find, of course. We should not speculate.

Having said that, this is the point in a major project where competent management teams pause and assess, looking for signs of shortcuts being taken and production pressure taking priority over sound judgement.... and to consider “weak spots” in their safety system. Project-wide stand-downs to recalibrate safety expectations and review procedures are not unusual in such circumstances. These take days, not months.

Any pattern of near-misses ought to be viewed as precursor events, but the project schedule isn’t necessarily at risk in a big way. The challenge is keeping the pace from accelerating through shortcuts or lack of attention to detail.

- Paul

Last edited:
Photo from BlogTo:

1606231862048.png

Back