189     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 374     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 540     0 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Urban behavior is coming to Yonge Street near Gould.

Yonge Street north of Dundas will become into Queen Street between University and Spadina in 20 years, mark my words...

Izakaya has closed on Front St E. Sort of weird as it was always packed and had good food! Le Papillon will be moving into their location. They were formally around the corner on Church St.

Rumour has it that a second Le Papillon will open on Eastern Ave this Fall, but I can't figure out where that could be.

Izakaya has closed on Front St E. Sort of weird as it was always packed and had good food! Le Papillon will be moving into their location. They were formally around the corner on Church St.

Rumour has it that a second Le Papillon will open on Eastern Ave this Fall, but I can't figure out where that could be.

From chowhound.com...

Dear friends of Izakaya,

It is with mixed emotions that I write this letter to inform you that due to a number of circumstances Saturday the 23rd of February will be our last day of operation. It has been a truly wonderful experience to have operated Izakaya for that last three years. The entire team has put their hart and soul into making this restaurant a success and in so many ways it has been. Unfortunately, due to the economics of this particular location Izakaya Restaurant at 69 Front Street has seen its day.

I’d like to express my heart felt thanks to all or our loyal patrons over the past few years who have celebrated birthdays, weddings, and anniversaries or nights out with close friends and family. It has been an honor to have served you and I hope we were able to contribute to some fond and lasting memories. I have many of them.

So over the course of the next week or so we’d love to see you, even for a quick hello or drink at the bar. It’s business as usual around here until the end of next weekend.

On a more positive and exciting note, we are happy to create some anticipation for our next project. That's right, no rest for the wicked! We are just a few months away from opening a new neighborhood (Queen St.E) establishment that we are confident will build on the principles we set out to engender at Izakaya. We will continue to draw on our varied experiences and most importantly our love of hospitality, however we will also be "leaning on" our cultural backgrounds and European upbringing. Keep you all posted as this new venture draws nearer to completion this spring.

Again, I want to thank all of you for your support these past few years, Its been a fantastic ride and I’d do it all again. Well, most of it anyway….

Sincerely,

Izakaya Restaurant

Roberto Navarro in his great little gallery near Bathurst.

Roberto has a great eye and the most sophisticated 20th century store in town (although Filter has been churning out some pretty impressive merch). Roberto and I compare notes when we run into each other in the wee hours at the sunday market.

So US...what else is on your collecting agenda besides cuff links and jam?

I probably know you by sight. I used to prowl the Sunday market from about six a.m. onwards, though I "retired" from that particular hunter/gatherer obsession about five years ago.

Hmmmm .... Who could you be?

I probably know you by sight. I used to prowl the Sunday market from about six a.m. onwards, though I "retired" from that particular hunter/gatherer obsession about five years ago.

Hmmmm .... Who could you be?

Well, it looks like I got hooked on the Sunday market ritual about the time you "retired", but it is a rather small local clique, so perhaps we have crossed paths at one of the other regular haunts, as I don't believe one can easily "retire" from that particular obsession.

You mentioned a "thing" for cuff links (which isn't my specialty, so I may be totally off here), but there is a fellow you has recently been there who appears to have a good selection of that kind of thing...he used to have a vintage "gentlemen's shop" boutique at the antique market on King (and at its former incarnation..Harbourfront Antique Market). Small guy...bald head...round glasses. He told me he does a roaring business on-line with cuff links.

English bloke meets New York, flirts with T.O.

TheStar.com - living - English bloke meets New York, flirts with T.O.

July 31, 2008
The American-based British designer Andrew Buckler has opened his first Canadian location, at 700 Queen St. W. The 1,100-square-foot space will house the Buckler menswear collection described as "English bloke meets New York."

Launched in 2001, Buckler has two stores in New York and one in London. The Toronto location will be the brand's fourth store.

Buckler, who despairs over the "universal monotony that plagues menswear," plays with combinations of eccentric overtones and classic silhouettes. This fall look for leather bomber jackets, dangerously pointy shoes, skinny trousers, cool jeans and cardigans.

Final reductions at the Pace sale in Brookfield Place. Miraculously, the last pair of Allen Edmonds shoes in the store - at 50% off - were in my size.

Plenty of glum salesmen in the men's clothing stores I visited this morning to check out the sales. The guy in Stagioni practically forced me to try on an Alexander McQueen jacket I was only mildly interested in ( three button rarely suits me ) and then demanded, "Make me an offer". Gloom in Rego and Vassi at FCP too.

As usual, once the economy goes tits up the sales get better.

Plenty of glum salesmen in the men's clothing stores I visited this morning to check out the sales. The guy in Stagioni practically forced me to try on an Alexander McQueen jacket I was only mildly interested in ( three button rarely suits me ) and then demanded, "Make me an offer". Gloom in Rego and Vassi at FCP too.

As usual, once the economy goes tits up the sales get better.

You must be a good off the rack fit; I gave up on ready to wear years ago when I realized I would only look worse for the wearing of it (small slopy shoulders; wide hips):(

Back