• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
November 6, 2020

IMG_20201106_115248508_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201106_115657270_HDR.jpg

Even this beauties days are numbered from Polson Pier

IMG_20201106_111202819_HDR1 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Slightly off topic but I am disgusted that first Canadian place is entirely blocked out by the atrocity that is Daniels.

If the city is gonna block all the gorgeous bank towers with waterfront condos, there has to be some minimum standard.

In this place, I'm ok with pinnacle blocking out CIBC square because it should also be nice, but some of these other towers are just a disgrace

Slightly off topic but I am disgusted that first Canadian place is entirely blocked out by the atrocity that is Daniels.

If the city is gonna block all the gorgeous bank towers with waterfront condos, there has to be some minimum standard.

In this place, I'm ok with pinnacle blocking out CIBC square because it should also be nice, but some of these other towers are just a disgrace
1000% agreed. I despise all of these waterfront condos/monstrosities blocking out all of our best buildings and destroying the skyline in the name of profit. Even the best ones like CIBC Square and Pinnacle ideally should have been built further north. In another few years all of the bank towers and nearly all of the CN Tower will be blocked from view of what was once our city's best vantage point.

Ironically back in 2007 I was excited for all the upcoming developments and now I wish we could reset the skyline back to that era. We really should have planned the skyline out better.

Toronto Skyline from the Docs by Light Forger, on Flickr

Sorry for the off topic rant.

I think these concerns are over-rated. Cities change; skylines change. I'm sure people used to routinely freak when another tall building went up in Manhattan, supposedly ruining someone's cherished view. I'm sure the sky was falling then too. NYC survived. Toronto will survive. It's not something fixed in time, forever immaculate. Twenty years from now the skyline will likely be different yet again and the concerns of this era will likely have been rendered irrelevant. I dunno, I think there are better battles to pick.

I think these concerns are over-rated. Cities change; skylines change. I'm sure people used to routinely freak when another tall building went up in Manhattan, supposedly ruining someone's cherished view. I'm sure the sky was falling then too. NYC survived. Toronto will survive. It's not something fixed in time, forever immaculate. Twenty years from now the skyline will likely be different yet again and the concerns of this era will likely have been rendered irrelevant. I dunno, I think there are better battles to pick.
Seriously. Some people are freaking out over the pencil towers on Billionaires Row in NYC or they're freaking out over subpar Hudson Yards. Fifteen years ago, fanboys were clamouring for the Twin Towers to be rebuilt. So, what? Gotta move on.

Except that there's no more room along the waterfront to block the banal condos that have gone up.

Yeah, well, them's the breaks.You may take some consolation that at some point even those will come down and more stuff will go up in their place. You have to think long-term. I'm working on a series set in Toronto in the 1920s and that was a very different skyline, too. Buildings come down; new ones go up.

Yeah, well, them's the breaks.You may take some consolation that at some point even those will come down and more stuff will go up in their place. You have to think long-term. I'm working on a series set in Toronto in the 1920s and that was a very different skyline, too. Buildings come down; new ones go up.
We don't live forever. What is going up now will dominate for the majority of our lives so this is what we're stuck with. Yes cities change but it could have been better.

It may seem trivial to worry about stuff like this but it's a part of Toronto's identity. Cities like Chicago, Paris and London have no problems planning around issues like this and I wish we were more careful as well. In the grand scheme of things it may not matter but it's disappointing to say the least. I take solace in the fact that I can still enjoy older pics of the skyline and my own memories of it as well.

I get that, but the quality of what's been built in the last 20 years to dominate the skyline from the lake is a significant downgrade over what it's blocking, and now due to lack of remaining land, there's no way to fix that within the lifetime of anyone on this board (which is why it's a relevant topic to us, not future generations).

Back