News   Mar 28, 2024
 141     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 289     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 656     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

(removed the sillyness)

Instead of the fantasy ideas, we should introduce a dedicated transit tax, perhaps by increasing HST, paid by most of residents (the poorest will get a refund same way they are getting the HST refund). That will result in a predictable revenue stream and allow for planned transit construction. People are capable of making some sacrifices today for the sake of future benefits, when they have a clear vision of those future goals.

Many cities do have something. Vancouver has one added to their gas prices. That is why they can build so much so fast.

It would never be 'subway'. It would have to be mostly at-grade or above-grade.
Well whatever rt option comes to kingston rd sooner, the better
I mean, we are getting a LSE RER with 5, 10, 15 minute headways from Pickering Town Centre within this decade 😛 hopefully it is well integrated with the Kingston Rd/Dundas St. BRT
Thats true. Its so funny how this is the only rapid transit service in scarborough in some areas instead of getting provided with a convenient express service via ttc

What in god's name happened to this thread?
I thought this was the Finch West LRT thread. Been off topic for 3 straight pages. All the ways to make use of the Sheppard Line are all very interesting but other than an extension to Sheppard/McCowan and Sheppard West, I highly doubt we'll see an extension of Line 4 to Pickering Town Centre, the Airport or even MCC or Brampton Downtown in the near future. GO RER will bring rapid transit-like service to the distant suburbs for the time being.

Something actually Finch West-related now. What would stop spacing look like on an extension to Yonge, I wonder? Some of the blocks are easy, like Dufferin > Wilmington > Goldfinch > Bathurst. What about between Keele and Dufferin?

If Bolton GO service is ever introduced, and it involves taking the CN Halton - GO Newmarket route, it would be very convenient to have an exchange station right at the rail corridor... except it's a little bit of a walk to reach pretty much anything around here. Alness/Champagne is a nice corner but is it too close to Dufferin? This also all assumes that the fuel depots will stay where they are (which is likely but not certain) as opposed to intensifying development on Finch there. The street grid on this stretch of Finch is not ideal, but there's little that can be gained from making it more conducive to development.

I recall there were two alignments considered for Bolton Go, one went through Weston and Finch and the other went through I think near Finch and Chesswood, and the report considered the Chesswood alignment as preferred, I'll try and dig it up.

Not it feels real. Streetcar tracks in North York for the first time.
Keep in mind the portion between Sunnybrook Park and O'Connor on Line 5 is still in North York and those tracks were placed in long before Finch West. Even then, this is not the first time Streetcar tracks were placed in North York.

Not it feels real. Streetcar tracks in North York for the first time.

Wrong!

Tracks existing before the buses on Yonge Street. From link.

412a.jpg

TTC 412 northbound at Stop 16 (painted on pole, a common practice) in Thornhill.

412b.jpg

In this bucolic scene TTC 412, with its headlight lens swinging in the breeze, is southbound for Toronto immediately north of Centre Street in Thornhill.

411.jpg

Toronto Transportation Commission 411 is southbound on the North Yonge line nearing the crest of Hogg's Hollow hill; in a few moments it will swing east across Yonge Street into the Glen Echo terminal located at what was then the boundary between North York and Toronto. Except for street running through Richmond Hill, the entire route was on a private right-of-way, most of it on the side of the road. Note the simple railway crossing sign at the left. October 10, 1948. Julian Bernard

Back