News   Mar 28, 2024
 107     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Uncovered at Queen Station Southbound DWA.

20200730_085813.jpg

Uncovered at Queen Station Southbound DWA.

View attachment 260635

I so dislike the penchant of the TTC (among others) for simply covering over previous work with new.

It doesn't meet my standard for how to renovate things.

I don't like multiple layers of flooring, tiling or roofing.

If something is past its due date and restoration is not a desired or practical option, please remove the old before putting up/down the new.

I know some would beg to differ; but I'm entitled to my high standards! LOL

Last edited:
Interesting. Looks like these UWE things are kind of bad, I had never heard of them before. I guess it would still be possible to move the employee parking a bit over and maybe extend the garage building to house a few extra buses indoors. Still seems like an easier way to expand bus garage capacity without buying up another property, especially since large industrial plots aren't super common these days in the 416.

The UWE system isn't inherently bad - when the system is designed and spec'd properly. Mississauga Transit has been using the system for years, as have other transit properties elsewhere (apparently it's particularly popular in Scandinavia). When set up and working properly, it does save a huge amount of money, as the transit property isn't heating humongous buildings storing the vehicles.

But the installations at Eglinton and Birchmount have been plagued with all sorts of issues since their inception, and anecdotally much of those issues stem from an under-spec'd boiler which is used to heat the glycol which then is recirculated throughout the parked buses.

Also, with all the winter and UWE issues people are talking about, why does TTC just park lots of buses outside at Arrow Rd garage? Do they move them somewhere indoors for winter? Or do they just deal with buses that don't start?

The TTC has a design standard for all of its garages, and with the exception of Queensway all have been built or modified to store and maintain a fleet of 275 vehicles.

The problem is that every single garage (save for perhaps Birchmount) is holding well beyond that number. And even with the addition of McNicoll later this year, the total storage and maintenance capacity of all of the TTC's garages will be well short of the size of the total bus fleet.

Because of this, buses will continue to have to be stored elsewhere on the garage properties. It won't be as bad as years previous, but it will be an ongoing issue until the next bus garage is opened.

Dan

The TTC is relocating its Photo ID Office to Bathurst station.

It's newer, more spacious, in a busier location, and is accessible, unlike its old location at Sherbourne station.

I wonder what will the space in Sherbourne station be used for after the move to Bathurst station?

It's newer, more spacious, in a busier location, and is accessible, unlike its old location at Sherbourne station.

I wonder what will the space in Sherbourne station be used for after the move to Bathurst station?

I am trying to place this in Bathurst. Where is it going to be located in the station?

As for Sherbourne I can see them putting a connection to the elevator in there. Don't forget they are putting in an elevator in Sherbourne station that would be right where the office was located.

@drum118 usually has a good beat on that sort of thing.
The last sections will not be completed until 2021/22 or when Roncesvalles/Queen/King/Queensway intersection is rebuilt. This includes the Queensway up to Parkside Dr, as well to the yard. Then, if I am not mistaken, Russell yard has to be rebuilt.

Otherwise, the system is basely done for 501L, 503, 504B, 505, 506, 509, 510, 511 and 512.

Everything east of Dufferin St for 501 & 504 is supposed to be done. Been months since I really looked at the overhead to see if the missing section have been done, and expect they have been.

There is a lot of room on the Bathurst concourse level for a Photo ID area and the station is accessibly where Sherbourne isn't at this time.

Last edited:

In Montreal you can have your school send your student I.D. photo to the STM and they will send your photo OPUS card to you.
Maybe the TTC could do this, in 2030-2040?

The last sections will not be completed until 2021/22 or when Roncesvalles/Queen/King/Queensway intersection is rebuilt. This includes the Queensway up to Parkside Dr, as well to the yard. Then, if I am not mistaken, Russell yard has to be rebuilt.

Otherwise, the system is basely done for 501L, 503, 504B, 505, 506, 509, 510, 511 and 512.

Everything east of Dufferin St for 501 & 504 is supposed to be done. Been months since I really looked at the overhead to see if the missing section have been done, and expect they have been.

There is a lot of room on the Bathurst concourse level for a Photo ID area and the station is accessibly where Sherbourne isn't at this time.
They still have work to do on the overhead on Church and on the Richmond-Victoria-Adelaide turning circle - as this is a fairly often used detour it seems odd it has not yet been done but.....

In Montreal you can have your school send your student I.D. photo to the STM and they will send your photo OPUS card to you.
The TTC usually has photographers go out to the high schools in Toronto at the beginning of September. When I was in high school it was the same day that they took the yearbook photos.

They've been doing it that way for well over 30 years in Toronto. In fact, you get your TTC student card the same day - no waiting.

This office is simply for students who missed their school dates, were not able to attend or people who need photo ID to accompany their special passes.

Dan

They've been doing it that way for well over 30 years in Toronto. In fact, you get your TTC student card the same day - no waiting.

This office is simply for students who missed their school dates, were not able to attend or people who need photo ID to accompany their special passes.

Dan
I don't know if things have changed but they charged more for on site university day visits so there is an incentive to actually go to Sherbourne (now Bathurst).

I don't know if things have changed but they charged more for on site university day visits so there is an incentive to actually go to Sherbourne (now Bathurst).

When I was in university they didn't have a student discount, so I have no idea what they did after that. I was referring to the student cards they handed out to high school students.

Dan

Back