News   May 03, 2024
 947     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 575     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 278     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

A trip from the centre of Scarborough to downtown via Line 2 is more direct than a trip via Sheppard subway and Yonge/Sheppard. Line 2 partly runs on the diagonal and "cuts the corner".

Furthermore, shifting many riders to the Sheppard / Yonge route would add more load to the Yonge line.

A trip from the centre of Scarborough to downtown via Line 2 is more direct than a trip via Sheppard subway and Yonge/Sheppard. Line 2 partly runs on the diagonal and "cuts the corner".

Furthermore, shifting many riders to the Sheppard / Yonge route would add more load to the Yonge line.
No it would add more load to the DRL/OL line.

Only if the OL goes all the way to Sheppard.
I thought even the good people of Scarborough acknowledged the need for the DRL/OL to go as North as possible. Or have the good people of Scarborough decided to be at war with the downtown elite and the prestigious entitled North York folk at Fairview?

I thought even the good people of Scarborough acknowledged the need for the DRL/OL to go as North as possible. Or have the good people of Scarborough decided to be at war with the downtown elite and the prestigious entitled North York folk at Fairview?

Anyone can "acknowledge" the need. How much is that acknowledgement worth if there is no funding.

The current round of debate started with trying to find an alternative to SSE. And we invariably hit the fact that every workable alternative is a package more expensive than SSE.

Anyone can "acknowledge" the need. How much is that acknowledgement worth if there is no funding.

The current round of debate started with trying to find an alternative to SSE. And we invariably hit the fact that every workable alternative is a package more expensive than SSE.
The LRT conversion was an alternative and was less expensive than the SSE. Just because a vocal minority petitioned for a Subway doesn't mean that an cheaper alternative didn't exist.

The LRT conversion was an alternative and was less expensive than the SSE. Just because a vocal minority petitioned for a Subway doesn't mean that an cheaper alternative didn't exist.

It was.

I responded to the alternatives proposed here in the last day of two, all of them involve Sheppard subway extension + SRT refurbishment, and possibly the OL extension to Sheppard. That means, a package with a total cost considerably higher than for SSE.

If we look at all alternatives ever proposed, then yes, options "just refurbish the SRT", "build SLRT", or "built the combined SLRT - Eglinton line" are all cheaper than SSE.

There have no only been cheaper alternatives proposed, but those of far greater value.

Cost and value are not necessarily one and the same.

There have no only been cheaper alternatives proposed, but those of far greater value.

Cost and value are not necessarily one and the same.
As a former Scarborough resident I am disgusted with the abandonment of three lrt lines for one subway extension. But no one believes I genuinely have Scarboroughs best interest in mind now that I moved and am closer to being a downtown elite. I do own a bike and I like lattes although I don't think I own any pink.

As a former Scarborough resident I am disgusted with the abandonment of three lrt lines for one subway extension. But no one believes I genuinely have Scarboroughs best interest in mind now that I moved and am closer to being a downtown elite. I do own a bike and I like lattes although I don't think I own any pink.

It's too late, you're almost fully elite. You can't relate to the plight of Scarberians, who will need what is almost certain to be a $7 billion extension to fix all of their problems.

I hope everyone enjoys this extension, as it's probably the last major transit investment we'll see in Scarborough for a long, long time.

It's too late, you're almost fully elite. You can't relate to the plight of Scarberians, who will need what is almost certain to be a $7 billion extension to fix all of their problems.

I hope everyone enjoys this extension, as it's probably the last major transit investment we'll see in Scarborough for a long, long time.
But they promised the Eglinton East LRT to be built at the same time!!!!! Are you suggesting they said something and then didn't do it? Does that mean this SSE may have been promised but never constructed? That can't be.... The people in Markham are expecting an extension!

Your opinion can be incorrect, and at the same time you can be sincere in your beliefs.

Your opinion can be incorrect, and at the same time you can be sincere in your beliefs.
For the record when my best friend from Scarborough and I were buying homes (we were both big etc users) he chose to stay in Scarborough and buy on Sheppard with the knowledge of the Sheppard LRT being built. I bought beside a subway line near Eglinton. I have been happy for 10 years. He has since sold his house in frustration over the cancelled LRT gave up on transit and moved to pickering. We're no longer in touch but he wasn't the only person in Scarborough looking forward to LRTs

For the record when my best friend from Scarborough and I were buying homes (we were both big etc users) he chose to stay in Scarborough and buy on Sheppard with the knowledge of the Sheppard LRT being built. I bought beside a subway line near Eglinton. I have been happy for 10 years. He has since sold his house in frustration over the cancelled LRT gave up on transit and moved to pickering. We're no longer in touch but he wasn't the only person in Scarborough looking forward to LRTs

Good for you, and unfortunate for your friend.

That said, when a choice of transit network affects many tens of thousands of people, there will be winners and losers for every possible choice.

But they promised the Eglinton East LRT to be built at the same time!!!!! Are you suggesting they said something and then didn't do it? Does that mean this SSE may have been promised but never constructed? That can't be.... The people in Markham are expecting an extension!

It's easy to forget the Eglinton East LRT was supposed to be included with the 1-stop extension, until the budget ballooned and it had to be scrapped. Now there's no talk of it at all.

A refurbished RT and Eglinton East extension would've been far more beneficial for Scarborough than just the SSE.

Back