News   Mar 28, 2024
 984     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 554     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 847     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

Sheppard and Ellesmere will be intercepted, and not just from the east. Riders boarding between McCowan and Kennedy might find it faster to backtrack to McCowan (or STC in case of Ellesmere) and take the subway from there.

Finch is less obvious, but depends on the route design. If it gets Finch Crosstown LRT, then the eastern end can go south down McCowan and connect to the subway terminus at Sheppard. Again, quite a few riders will commute east and south in AM, north and west in PM, to take advantage of the faster subway ride.

Steeles, maybe not; but that's just one bus route.
Theoretical question, but if Finch East bus route is divided up at McCowan (buses east of McCowan terminate at McCowan/Sheppard), would it be faster to do line 2 > OL, or line 4 > OL?

Theoretical question, but if Finch East bus route is divided up at McCowan (buses east of McCowan terminate at McCowan/Sheppard), would it be faster to do line 2 > OL, or line 4 > OL?

My estimate is that Line 2 > OL will be faster: 19 km from McCowan/Sheppard to Pape/Danforth using Line 2, vs 23 km for the same trip using the Line 4 extension to Don Mills plus OL North from there.

Furthermore, we only need to add the missing 7 km to be able to make that trip using Line 2, while we would need to add the whole 23 km before the trip using Line 4 and OL becomes possible (or we just take express buses, but that will be definitely slower).

Line 2 is quite slow from Pape to Main however, which may slow things down a bit.

Not like it matters, that scenario is not likely to play out in our lifetimes.

^And there it has remained for the past 15 years.

Honestly this thing wont get built in any of our lifetimes with the current crop of politicians that we have.

^And there it has remained for the past 15 years.

Honestly this thing wont get built in any of our lifetimes with the current crop of politicians that we have.

This should have been built instead of the SSE but with the money sunk into that project it makes it that the Sheppard extension doesn't deserve to be built in my lifetime and I'm 40. Now my one year olds lifetime... maybe.

I dunno how sentiment in this forum has changed since the early years of last decade, but I am becoming way more supportive of a Sheppard Subway Extension, to the degree that I wish it was occurring instead of the Scarborough Subway Extension. Especially if combined with an Ontario Line extension from Eglinton to Sheppard to redirect Scarborough/North York passenger volumes away from Line 1.

A two stop extension with stops at Consumers and Victoria Park can be justified very easily with changing land use context, and I think that holds true all the way to Agincourt. From Agincourt, it would be prudent to find a way to connect to Scarborough Town Centre and with Line 2.

An infill station at Willowdale could probably pay for itself if you impose a TIF in the area.

I dunno how sentiment in this forum has changed since the early years of last decade, but I am becoming way more supportive of a Sheppard Subway Extension, to the degree that I wish it was occurring instead of the Scarborough Subway Extension. Especially if combined with an Ontario Line extension from Eglinton to Sheppard to redirect Scarborough/North York passenger volumes away from Line 1.

A two stop extension with stops at Consumers and Victoria Park can be justified very easily with changing land use context, and I think that holds true all the way to Agincourt. From Agincourt, it would be prudent to find a way to connect to Scarborough Town Centre and with Line 2.

An infill station at Willowdale could probably pay for itself if you impose a TIF in the area.
I too support the Sheppard subway over the SSE. But some people here are pressing for both. That's crazy talk with no talk of a DRL west and no plans of DRL north of Eglinton.

This should have been built instead of the SSE but with the money sunk into that project it makes it that the Sheppard extension doesn't deserve to be built in my lifetime and I'm 40. Now my one year olds lifetime... maybe.

I too support the Sheppard subway over the SSE. But some people here are pressing for both. That's crazy talk with no talk of a DRL west and no plans of DRL north of Eglinton.

I also think that if there has to be a subway built into Scarborough, this would be the natural choice.

It should be easier to build, could connect to two major Scarborough destinations (the zoo and Rogue National Park), along with the STC. It should also offer greater access for Malvern residents.

Combined with an Eglinton LRT extension into Scarborough and ending at Malvern (with a refurbished RT) and improved GO Service, you'd get far greater value than one expensive vanity project in the SSE.

Last edited:
Only build it as 100m length stations though. And possibly narrower rolling stock. Could run the same system as "Ontario Line". Anything beyond 100m isn't needed.

Only build it as 100m length stations though. And possibly narrower rolling stock. Could run the same system as "Ontario Line". Anything beyond 100m isn't needed.

Probably won't happen.

It doesn't matter what's needed. Anything 100m or below is disrespect! :p

I also think that if there has to be a subway built into Scarborough, this would be the natural choice.

It should be easier to build, could connect to two major Scarborough destinations (the zoo and Rogue National Park), along with the STC. It should also offer greater access for Malvern residents.

Combined with an Eglinton LRT extension into Scarborough and ending at Malvern (with refurbished RT) and improved GO Service, you'd get far greater value than one expensive vanity project in the SSE.
Living in Scarborough I do wish this would be the case instead... Out of curiosity, any thoughts if Del Duca would reverse Ford's transit plan back to the old plan?

Last edited:
Living in Scarborough I do wish this would be the case instead... Out of curiosity, any thoughts if Del Duca would reverse Ford's transit plan back to the old plan?

Tough to say. The SSE is so politically charged it's hard to see anyone cancelling it. Then again, they've started and canceled so many projects - if they can develop a better plan I'd never say never.

Tough to say. The SSE is so politically charged it's hard to see anyone cancelling it. Then again, they've started and canceled so many projects - if they can develop a better plan I'd never say never.
The skeptic in me says due to covid were going to have deferred spending on all projects except for Eglinton west because the airport which happens to be close to Doug's home is a vital transit hub.

Back