News   Apr 16, 2024
 369     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 726     0 

Amazon Alternatives?

MetroMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Over the past few years, I've really gotten used to the convenience of Amazon's subscription shopping paired with my condo's mail concierge. The prices on Amazon are unbeatable, specially on subscription, shipping is often free when you spend over $35 and being able to just go downstairs to my concierge to pick up a box once a month is as convent as it gets. But I'm troubled by Amazon's labour practices and am growing weary of contributing to Jeff Bezos' filthy wealth.

Are there any alternatives in Canada? Target is increasingly looking like a good Amazon alternative and they also have discounted subscriptions but they retreated from Canada and as of February, even stopped shipping here.

I'm primarily looking for grocery items but is there an online retailer that can come close to competing with Amazon on prices and convenience?

I've found Staples online to be useful for household and cleaning items like toilet paper, paper towel, hand soap refill, along with pandemic essentials like gloves. They don't charge anything extra for shipping, even for small orders.

Well.ca is alright for health/wellness, household/cleaning items, groceries, and also carries miscellaneous online merchandise but the prices are a bit higher. They offer free shipping for orders over $35.

My cousin, who currently lives with me, has just tried Instacart for groceries on a free trial. Full membership has fees included but the service seems pretty reliable based on what my cousin ordered.

Over the past few years, I've really gotten used to the convenience of Amazon's subscription shopping paired with my condo's mail concierge. The prices on Amazon are unbeatable, specially on subscription, shipping is often free when you spend over $35 and being able to just go downstairs to my concierge to pick up a box once a month is as convent as it gets. But I'm troubled by Amazon's labour practices and am growing weary of contributing to Jeff Bezos' filthy wealth.

Are there any alternatives in Canada? Target is increasingly looking like a good Amazon alternative and they also have discounted subscriptions but they retreated from Canada and as of February, even stopped shipping here.

I'm primarily looking for grocery items but is there an online retailer that can come close to competing with Amazon on prices and convenience?
I've found Staples online to be useful for household and cleaning items like toilet paper, paper towel, hand soap refill, along with pandemic essentials like gloves. They don't charge anything extra for shipping, even for small orders.

Well.ca is alright for health/wellness, household/cleaning items, groceries, and also carries miscellaneous online merchandise but the prices are a bit higher. They offer free shipping for orders over $35.

My cousin, who currently lives with me, has just tried Instacart for groceries on a free trial. Full membership has fees included but the service seems pretty reliable based on what my cousin ordered.
I've been using instacart for over a year now with the full paid membership. While the shoppers don't always do a great job with selection, customer service is very responsive and refunds are easy to get when you're brought the wrong item.
The only real issues I had were during the panic shopping weeks, when I couldn't get a delivery window scheduled. Otherwise I 100% recommend.

For non-perishable grocery items, I recommend the Avril supermarket chain in Québec; free deliveries for 75$+, at https://www.avril.ca/en/. Last time it took 4 days from ordering to delivery.

Well.ca also has a good selection of food products, though they are now owned by the American company Rexall.

I've also ordered from my grocery store at Manulife through Instacart, and the service has been great so far, though obviously expensive with the delivery charges and tip (which I insist on adding, especially these days).

For non-perishable grocery items, I recommend the Avril supermarket chain in Québec; free deliveries for 75$+, at https://www.avril.ca/en/. Last time it took 4 days from ordering to delivery.

Well.ca also has a good selection of food products, though they are now owned by the American company Rexall.

I've also ordered from my grocery store at Manulife through Instacart, and the service has been great so far, though obviously expensive with the delivery charges and tip (which I insist on adding, especially these days).

Thank you. That's all very useful.

My goal right now is to replace Amazon for my subscription items. Things like regularly used items like toilet paper, dish and laundry detergents, dog treats, dog bags, and then also non perishable food like canned goods, nuts, rice and other seeds and grains. I do enjoy shopping for fresh produce in my local markets. It's just nice to get all the big and heavy stuff I use routinely out of the way and dropped at my door so I can focus on enjoying buying the fresh stuff that I can carry in a single bag once a week.

I had never heard of Avril. I'm eating healthier lately and Amazon has been taking the trouble out of keeping healthy foods in stock. Avril seems right up my alley! Thanks for the recommendations.

Should go without saying that Indigo is preferable for books. I've never actually ordered a book on Amazon if Indigo was an alternative, even if Indigo cost a buck or two more.

I received an employment anniversary gift from work recently. A certain number of "points" to spend via an online service. Could get various electronics, luggage, etc... or gift cards from a number of retailers. Amazon would probably have been the most "useful" from a "I can spend this on anything" perspective (and it's the most popular choice). But I spent it all on Chapters/Indigo gift cards. Would have liked to get gift cards to a local indie book store, but this was the best option. Anyway, I have a bit of a ridiculous pile of books now...and more on my wishlist, with more cards to spend.

I sign up for these online surveys where the Aeroplan rewards can go towards a gift card of choice after I collect a certain amount of points. One of the options is for Indigo which is a pretty solid choice as there's so many items I can get. Although, I cut myself off from that as I've already gotten so many books through the years that still remain unread. So I tend to go for the Sportchek one instead to contribute towards an annual new pair of running shoes.

I sign up for these online surveys where the Aeroplan rewards can go towards a gift card of choice after I collect a certain amount of points. One of the options is for Indigo which is a pretty solid choice as there's so many items I can get. Although, I cut myself off from that as I've already gotten so many books through the years that still remain unread. So I tend to go for the Sportchek one instead to contribute towards an annual new pair of running shoes.
Once the pandemic is over, buying running shoes would be an excellent investment.

I don't buy anything online except maybe the occasional plane ticket and pharmaceuticals so I don't know what's good, but I keep reading about how Shopify is going up directly against Amazon, so maybe them?

I don't buy anything online except maybe the occasional plane ticket and pharmaceuticals so I don't know what's good, but I keep reading about how Shopify is going up directly against Amazon, so maybe them?

Shopify provides a platform for others to sell, it doesn‘t sell goods itself. It competes with Amazon Marketplace which allows third party sellers to set up shop on Amazon.

Back