Toronto 2221 Yonge Condos | 192.62m | 58s | Tower Hill | Pei Partnership

This project is good in my books. I find the massing to be appropriate in its workable site dimensions, and I personally like the visual effect of the balconies. Both the clean lines when viewed at its east and west sides, and also the staggered patterning on the north and south. The colour also contrasts well with the darkness of E Condos.

I remember sitting with Sandi Pei in the old bar on top of the Park Plaza after a particularly raucous community meeting regarding this proposal and reassuring him that years down the line, regardless of what had just happened, it would get built. He was dubious, so it's particularly nice to see it almost topped out, six years later...

I remember sitting with Sandi Pei in the old bar on top of the Park Plaza after a particularly raucous community meeting regarding this proposal and reassuring him that years down the line, regardless of what had just happened, it would get built. He was dubious, so it's particularly nice to see it almost topped out, six years later...
Yup, I've also seen architects from other cities sit in on their first community meetings here and be surprised by the vituperative response they run into from some in attendance. Maybe they expect all Canadians to be nice? They also don't realize that every proposal attracts its share of detractors, whether it merits them or not. City staff seem to be fairly good at sorting out which complaints from those meetings to take to mind and which to ignore.

I think the building looks alright. It doesn't have that "wow" factor i've seen with projects elsewhere around the city but they can't all be like that i guess.

Photo taken from Holly St
2020-May-15

IMG_3055.jpg

Photo taken 2020-May-20

IMG_3305.jpg

Beauty.

So to be clear... heading up Yonge: the waterfront area will one day have a remarkable skyline, Southcore kicks some skyline butt already, the Financial Core needs no comment, Dundas to Wellesley fillin' in, Bloor/Yorkville environs working on 5th best skyline in North America (on it's own), St. Clair maybe chipping in with a tall and the exquisite Delisle, ^^the Yonge/Eg photo, and North York.

Whew. Did I miss anything... driving north in my Rolls Royce Phantom convertible?

Last edited:

Back