News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 682     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 309     0 

The Retail Apocalypse

Indigo has had a strong online presence for a number of years, but they also rely on impulse buying from in-person shoppers, so it would indeed be interesting to see how their numbers from the past two months. There are two stores near me, both of which are opening up this week.

Indigo has had a strong online presence for a number of years, but they also rely on impulse buying from in-person shoppers, so it would indeed be interesting to see how their numbers from the past two months. There are two stores near me, both of which are opening up this week.

I used to visit the Eaton Centre store during lunch or after work sometimes to check out their displays. I'm signed up for their rewards program and newsletters and they do have a pretty extensive online presence. But yeah, they're a hybrid experiential in-store and ecommerce company. I find they do a good job with the in-store arrangements for books mixed in with other lifestyle products. Pretty common that I'd pick something up just because it piqued my interest while browsing.

Last edited:
Indigo is good times. Used to walk up to Eaton Centre through the PATH on random weekday evenings with my roomie when we lived in Queens Quay.

"Hey, wanna go get some magazines?"

Damn skippy.

I do prefer a local bookshop up Roncesvalles way these days though. They have stacks of antiquarian binding books. The place reminds me a bit of Bernard's shop in Black Books (Bernard is my spirit animal, by the way) though it's missing it's own Bernard and Manny.

They got me things they didn't have without problem so I know I can get anything I want to read there (I'm trying to amass the entirety of the Malazan books).

Books and records forever. <3

Indigo is good times. Used to walk up to Eaton Centre through the PATH on random weekday evenings with my roomie when we lived in Queens Quay.

"Hey, wanna go get some magazines?"

Damn skippy.

I do prefer a local bookshop up Roncesvalles way these days though. They have stacks of antiquarian binding books. The place reminds me a bit of Bernard's shop in Black Books (Bernard is my spirit animal, by the way) though it's missing it's own Bernard and Manny.

They got me things they didn't have without problem so I know I can get anything I want to read there (I'm trying to amass the entirety of the Malazan books).

Books and records forever. <3

Ah yes, good times checking out the magazines. I'd go flip through the soccer ones and catch up on all the latest news and articles back then. I still remember being a kid in the 90's reading Sports Illustrated at the library was the way to go before the arrival of mainstream PC's at home.

I miss the Indigo location at Scotiabank theatre, that was a great hangout before movies or just for fun. That and the former location on Bloor in Yorkville, before they moved to the Manulife Centre.

Before COVID-19 hit, Indigo expanded to the United States, mainly to former Borders locations.

Yes, Indigo in the United States had to compete with Amazon (obviously and worldwide), Barnes & Noble, and Books a Million.
Indigo only opened one store in the US. They opened in the Short Hills Mall in November of 2019 to test the market. 50% of Indigo's revenue is from non book categories. They compete with Amazon (as every retailer does) but not really other book stores like Barnes & Noble, which still skews heavily as a book-seller.

On the topic of the bookstore business in Canada:

Stokes to Permanently Close 40 Store Locations in Canada

May 25, 2020

Stokes, a Montreal-based tableware, kitchenware, and home décor retailer with 147 stores across Canada, intends to permanently close about 40 of its locations after it sought protection recently under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act.

What will bring consumers back to brick-and-mortar stores?

Published May 28, 2020

The most obvious losers will be those retailers who believe they can reopen without making major changes to the way they do business. My contacts in China feed me data all the time, and here's what they show: Chinese retailers are 85% open but seeing only 30% of their former foot traffic. In China at least, there is no V-shaped recovery.

So what will bring consumers back to brick-and-mortar stores? Safety is a given, just as it was with air travel after 9/11. In this case, the analog to the confidence-building ceremony of ID production and shoe removal will be temperature scanning, tightened disinfection protocols, and rearranged physical layouts that promote social distancing. Such accommodations will help customers feel more comfortable in the retail space, but they won't be sufficient.

In order to analyze the retail industry in a more quantifiable, less subjective way, I've developed a tool I call the Consumer Engagement Index, which measures seven specific criteria ranging from store design to employee training. The most important criterion, however, is the human touch. To a great extent, the success of our species has depended on the human need for connection, out of which has developed our ability to network effectively with each other. The human touch reflects a retail staff's ability to empathize with the needs of customers. Retailers will have to train even their part-time staff as thoroughly as flight attendants if they expect to help their customers feel secure in an insecure world. If they don't, they will suffer the same declines in foot traffic currently being seen in China.

Moreover, the shopping center itself will have to change from a collection of proximate stores to a place where the experience pulls you in. This mirrors what Walt Disney figured out 75 years ago when he created Disneyland. You can buy Mickey Mouse ears, for sure, but the real draw is the experience. The same will have to be true of shopping centers.

Reitmans to lay off 1,400 as it closes two of its brands

June 1, 2020

Reitmans Ltd. will shutter two of its fashion brands and lay off 1,400 employees as the clothing retailer restructures its business.

The Montreal-based company, which filed for protection from its creditors on May 19, announced on Monday that it will permanently close 77 Addition Elle and 54 Thyme Maternity stores over the course of the summer. The retailer will also lay off 1,100 employees at its retail stores and 300 workers at its head office as it continues the restructuring process.

The decision leaves Reitmans with its namesake brand, Penningtons and RW&Co.

I would not be surprised to see The Source close all its doors in the coming months. I've had to make two trips to different locations for home office needs since April and they've been ghost towns both times.

It would be interesting if American electronics retailers such as Best Buy, MicroCenter, and WB Mason's (and B&H Photography and Adorama) can survive both the pandemic and Amazon's ascendancy.
I will never buy online from Best Buy again. I bought an unlocked BB Key2 on their website and was shipped an Indian market phone, so no Canadian warranty. When I pushed back, Best Buy said I bought it from a third party on their site and I was SOL.

When we see any these boarded up retail stores on Queen St. East and elsewhere we might ask ourselves, why don't they lower the rent to get some rental income. Apparently one reason is that the hypothetical higher rent keeps the valuation up on the property, allowing the equity and loans. If the rent is lowered, then the valuation is lowered, reducing the equity of the property.

Back