News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 859     0 

Loblaws

Maybe they called them customers because they took the time to bag their "order"?

Someone's in trouble. You know when you leave and can't remember if you locked the door? Always a good idea to go back and double-check!

It's interesting though, because there is a close-up procedure, especially when it's for longer than just the overnight period.

Maybe they called them customers because they took the time to bag their "order"?

Someone's in trouble. You know when you leave and can't remember if you locked the door? Always a good idea to go back and double-check!

It's interesting though, because there is a close-up procedure, especially when it's for longer than just the overnight period.

I'm surprised the alarm isn't on a timer; and the locks tied to the alarms.

I know a few supermarket managers. I've never asked about this specific scenario.

But I know that if a store refrigerator or freezer malfunctions, the system pages the store manager 24/7 at at least 2 different chains.

My understanding in at least one chain is that this is true if any store alarm is activated.

But I've never asked if the store system is set up to question a door not being locked, or the alarms not turned on for the night.

I'm surprised the alarm isn't on a timer; and the locks tied to the alarms.

I know a few supermarket managers. I've never asked about this specific scenario.

But I know that if a store refrigerator or freezer malfunctions, the system pages the store manager 24/7 at at least 2 different chains.

My understanding in at least one chain is that this is true if any store alarm is activated.

But I've never asked if the store system is set up to question a door not being locked, or the alarms not turned on for the night.
A store that size likely has a night crew so timing an alarm system could be tricky.

A store that size likely has a night crew so timing an alarm system could be tricky.

In what seems like another lifetime ago; I had a p/t job in my college days, where crews came in overnight to do deep-cleaning that day staff did not perform.

For day staff, standard procedure was to activate all alarms at closing, and you used, an RFID card to exit without tripping the alarm.

Night crew had the same cards and waved them at a reader to enter through only one door.

The door auto-locked behind you when you entered/exited and re-alarmed.

You could come/go during an overnight shift, but the access was time-limited to a 5-hour window each night.

That was .... more than 2 decades ago now.

Loblaw sees $751 million sales spike due to COVID-19

Yahoo Finance Canada April 29, 2020

Loblaw Companies Ltd. saw sales surge due to the COVID-19 pandemic, which prompted demand at grocery stores and pharmacies to skyrocket in the last two weeks of March.

Canada’s largest grocery retailer said on Wednesday that it generated $751 million in revenues in the 12-week period ending March 31, or 14 cents per diluted share. This came as overall sales grew by $1.1 billion when compared to the same time last year to $11.8 billion in 2020, an increase of 10.8 per cent.

---------------
“As it turned out, (the first quarter) was a tale of 14 days, when the government offered their pandemic warning and suggested Canadians prepare for a long stretch at home,” Loblaw president Sarah Davis said on a conference call with analysts Wednesday shortly after financial results were released.

“In a matter of days, customers counts and basket size spiked fourfold. Sales of paper, frozen and meat products skyrocketed, e-commerce traffic tripled, restaurants closed and our prepared meal business and recipe making categories took off. Pharmacies were lined with patients filling prescriptions seeking health essentials and advice.”

As a former grocer, I can tell you that the old adage about the two best businesses to be in during tough times still rings true. Even more true for the middle man like Loblaws than for the grocer in the store.

Went to Loblaws Queens Quay for the first time since the plague hit and was loving their cash queue system! No more creepy bell-end breathing down your back as you're offloading your cart. I was in love <3. Me and the cashier had an intimate moment, it was great.

On the other hand, I haven't brought home that many plastic bags......ever. They won't let you use their boxes or your own reusable bags which is pretty bunk as my local Metro does....as did my Longo's the last time I was in, which is also at least a month though.

The cashout experience was the best though. 10/10

Put your stuff in your cart, no bags, take it to your car and bag it there ... if you drive there, that is.

??

My brain doesn't work like it used to.....and now that we're talking about it, I did this exact thing you mention three weeks ago because I forgot my bag in the car.
I'll be alright....sleepy time tomorrow evening, after the week's "essential" work is done.

I miss the cardboard boxes Food Basics and No Frills used to have up near the front. My local stores got rid them a few years go. (I asked the cashier , she said head office wanted them gone.) I used to throw all my items in the box, made it easy to walk home, instead of carrying 4 or 5 bags. I don't know why they got rid of them, maybe people weren't buying enough plastic bags? :rolleyes:

I noticed that there is construction at the Maple Leaf Gardens Loblaws where the Nutella Cafe used to be. Anyone know if it’s being torn out, rebuilt, repurposed, etc?

I noticed that there is construction at the Maple Leaf Gardens Loblaws where the Nutella Cafe used to be. Anyone know if it’s being torn out, rebuilt, repurposed, etc?

Sadly, it's being down-graded.

To a Starbucks

Back