News   Mar 28, 2024
 87     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

The only why this will be done on time is of they start doing 24 hour shifts. Things look like they'll open in late 2022 to mid 2023. In fact the Finch West LRT could even open before the crosstown at this point as excavation is much simpler there.

Concrete actually cures over much longer periods of time, but in terms of the optimum required to wait before other major work can be done is closer to 28 days.
Cements in the old days did take longer to cure and strength gain progressed well after 28 days. Nowadays, the cement is ground finer, so the reaction occurs quicker. The 28 days strength is basically the final strength. The permeability of concrete does improve beyond this age - so it's quite important to not allow newer concrete to be expose to chlorides (salt) during this early period. Generally, concrete needs about 7 days (at above 10 degrees C) of moist curing covered in burlap. This is more about shrinkage cracks that absolute strength. In this 7 days, it typically reaches 70% of the 28 days strength - and usually the next construction activity can continue after this time.

Concrete actually cures over much longer periods of time, but in terms of the optimum required to wait before other major work can be done is closer to 28 days.

The concrete grain silos along the Buffalo NY are only just reaching their full hardness - after 100 years. Today’s concrete is much different.

I did a cross-town bus trip today. There were indeed some small signs of progress- they are backfilling at Keelesdale. East of that.... not so much. Caledonia is still a hole in the ground. Yonge? A huge hole.

- PAul

The concrete grain silos along the Buffalo NY are only just reaching their full hardness - after 100 years. Today’s concrete is much different.

I did a cross-town bus trip today. There were indeed some small signs of progress- they are backfilling at Keelesdale. East of that.... not so much. Caledonia is still a hole in the ground. Yonge? A huge hole.

- PAul
Caledonia is done digging and the platform level is covered, It should be ready for train testing next year and can open in 2021. Yonge, not so much.

Caledonia is done digging and the platform level is covered, It should be ready for train testing next year and can open in 2021. Yonge, not so much.
Might as well operate from Mount Dennis to Caledonia with 1 train per tunnel?

I want Eglinton cleaned up, if the LRTs are running are not is less important.

Actually, as I was riding the 32 and 34, what struck me yesterday was that, if it weren't for all the lane jogging and haphazard pylon placement and dodging of construction vehicles, and the blocks where stores are hidden behind a wall of construction containers and machinery, traffic on Eglinton might survive as a more streamlined but just as narrow two lane road.
Instead of just removing all the construction gear when the work is done, and returning the roadway to its old state, we might be further ahead to really push the envelope on the streetscape. Dare I say King Street 2.0? If all the currently unusable roadway space at Yonge and Eglinton were turned into a street mall, it would be a very attractive place.
I know there was a proposal some years ago, which I seem to recall the Ford Brothers killing when they were Councillors....and it seemed pretty ivory tower at the time... but maybe a revisit is in order.

- Paul

I feel the same way about a lot of 4-lane urban streets. Even if it's not going to happen much any time soon, we need a cultural shift away from lane inflation, especially around intersections. First there's 4 laning, then turning lanes, then left turns are basically impossible for getting into driveways so drivers want a centre lane, etc.

^I am ok with turning lanes, because it maintains throughput of the through lane. Especially if you are increasing the emphasis on turning cars yielding to pedestrians and cyclists.... You gotta store those turning vehicles somewhere until it's their turn. There's a diference between just inconveniencing motorists, versus trying to make a more constrained auto infrastructure work as efficiently as possible.
My point was more, do we need to go back to two through lanes each way, and (once the construction materiel and machinery all vanish) how much can we apply to other purposes as opposed to returning it to the automobile? Do we even need on street parking ever again?

- Paul

Back