News   Mar 28, 2024
 968     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 543     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 838     0 

The Retail Apocalypse

Why would anyone in Europe want shitty American pizza?

Have you had Scandinavian food? ? Norway has the worst cuisine, I swear Norwegians were born without taste buds, but you won't go hungry, American food is pretty popular over there., burgers, fries, steaks.. and even poutine!!! And lots of pizza and Asian, Indian restaurants to choose from as well.

I remember several years ago, during my later years as a student, visiting Germany and the Netherlands. I pretty much lived off Turkish and Asian (Vietnamese/Chinese) food during those trips. Those were the only places that served good tasting and reasonably priced casual food (think student budget).

Went to Iceland last year, and although I did enjoy some of their local cuisine, I wouldn't say that food was a major highlight. More of just for the experience. Some of the more notable foods were actually pasta, pizza (restaurant made), fish and chips, and hot dogs. Which all have their influence from elsewhere.

From shows on Netflix, Copenhagen in Denmark does seem to have an interesting food scene happening right now though.

Last edited:
Went to Iceland last year, and although I did enjoy some of their local cuisine, I wouldn't say that food was a major highlight. More of just for the experience. Some of the more notable foods were actually past, pizza (restaurant made), fish and chips, and hot dogs. Which all have their influence from elsewhere.

Iceland had major US influence due to the presence of the Keflavik Air Base (and general US military presence from WWII to the end of the Cold War). Highest level of Coke consumption in the world, for one.

AoD

Have you had Scandinavian food? ? Norway has the worst cuisine, I swear Norwegians were born without taste buds, but you won't go hungry, American food is pretty popular over there., burgers, fries, steaks.. and even poutine!!! And lots of pizza and Asian, Indian restaurants to choose from as well.
Geography apparently plays a role in the flavourness of a particular region's traditional cuisine:

I remember several years ago, during my later years as a student, visiting Germany and the Netherlands. I pretty much lived off Turkish and Asian (Vietnamese/Chinese) food during those trips. Those were the only places that served good tasting and reasonably priced casual food (think student budget).

Went to Iceland last year, and although I did enjoy some of their local cuisine, I wouldn't say that food was a major highlight. More of just for the experience. Some of the more notable foods were actually pasta, pizza (restaurant made), fish and chips, and hot dogs. Which all have their influence from elsewhere.

From shows on Netflix, Copenhagen in Denmark does seem to have an interesting food scene happening right now though.

There's lots of great German food.

Borgen?

Copenhagen episode of Somebody Feed Phil. And episode of Mind of a Chef hosted by David Chang with Rene Redzepi from his reknowned Noma restaurant.

There was also an episode about Copenhagen on Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown before the whole series got removed.

Retail fails: 6 of the biggest blunders from industry history

Target's Canadian misadventure, the marriage of Sears and Kmart, J.C. Penney's misbegotten transformation — if only hindsight were foresight.

Crocs is also doing well with surgeons. Even Crocs' own website has a section for surgeons: https://www.crocs.com/c/shop-by/activity/doctor-shoes

Their collaboration with musicians like Post Malone and Luke Combs looks to have helped them rebound in the US. Along with design/fashion collaborations with PizzaSlime, Balenciaga and also artist Takashi Murakami. They've also just signed with actress Priyanka Chopra to be their global brand ambassador for their 2020 campaign.

Williams Sonoma are closing both of its Quebec stores in the suburban Montreal area. They're also looking to close its Vancouver store at the end of the year.

Their Edmonton store closed several months ago. While their sister brand, Pottery Barn will close their Edmonton store as well next month.

Lowe's is closing 34 'underperforming' stores in Canada, including 26 Ronas

The stores, which include Lowe’s, RONA, and Reno-Depot brands, will close in January and February of 2020

November 20, 2019 9:34 AM EST

Back