News   Mar 27, 2024
 638     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

According to Wikipedia:
Toronto Line 1: 39 km (TYSSE included)
Toronto Line 2: 26 km
Montreal Orange Line: 30 km
Montreal Green Line: 22 km

So, Montreal lines are a bit shorter, but not much shorter.

Total area and population:
Toronto: 630 sq.km / 2.7 million / 4,300 per km
Montreal: 430 sq. km / 1.7 million / 3,900 per km

Actually, Toronto is a tiny bit more dense, but the two cities are certainly in the same category.

The west island is definitely as far or farther. The big mall in point claire is 26km from Victoria Square, which is the same distance of STC from Union

Montreal's suburbs are no where near as far as STC though. Unless I'm wrong Montreal is less spread out than Toronto.
Montreal's contigous urban area is smaller, but a good bit of Montreal's suburban population is in "towns" of 50,000-100,000 people that are separated by a few km of farmland from the main urban area.

The end of the Orange Line in Montreal in Laval is about 14km from downtown, STC is about 17km.

I read the staff report on the latest on the SSE but I'm still not clear/not remembering. Now that the Province wants it to be 3 stops and given the level of design we heard today at Council, how many more months/years will the Province need to get the three stop SSE version up to either a) the level of one stop version was and/or b) to the point where they can do the RFQ/RFP/make a procurement decision. Would it be at least one year from the RFP launch date to the RFP closing date and then the winner of the RFP picked? Or is it shorted because this isn't DBFOM it's just DB?

What Toronto needs is GO RER ASAP. Transit lines in Montréal are now being prioritised on commercial speeds. This basically rules out any LRT lines for the short/medium term. The REM is an express metro system (which is litterally the name REM - Express Metro Network)

I read the staff report on the latest on the SSE but I'm still not clear/not remembering. Now that the Province wants it to be 3 stops and given the level of design we heard today at Council, how many more months/years will the Province need to get the three stop SSE version up to either a) the level of one stop version was and/or b) to the point where they can do the RFQ/RFP/make a procurement decision. Would it be at least one year from the RFP launch date to the RFP closing date and then the winner of the RFP picked? Or is it shorted because this isn't DBFOM it's just DB?
I believe changing it again is estimated to bring another 2 year delay. So 2027 slips to 2029.

The 1 stop version was almost ready to start construction, I believe the City had planned to start early works in spring 2020.

Wow, good to hear there is progress. I thought EgWest would end up not getting built. It's something.
Eglinton West is the most straight forward route. There are no disputes about station locations, or the paths to take. Only real question is which parts are elevated, which underground, and which cut-and-cover.
SSE (or L2EE) is also quite set, so it also going earlier makes sense. I doubt there is appetite to find a better route - even though there likely is one.

SSE (or L2EE) is also quite set, so it also going earlier makes sense. I doubt there is appetite to find a better route - even though there likely is one.

Didn't the province previously say they were considering alternative alignments and construction methods, including potentially bringing parts of the subway above ground? Is this off the table now?

Didn't the province previously say they were considering alternative alignments and construction methods, including potentially bringing parts of the subway above ground? Is this off the table now?
I was thinking more about horizontal alignment. With change in vertical alignment, there is still no real difference in the people served.

19-177 - TA for Scarborough Subway Extension and Yonge North Subway Extension Projects

DESCRIPTION
Announced by the Government of Ontario in April 2019, the Scarborough Subway
Extension (“SSE”) Project and the Yonge North Subway Extension (“YNSE”)
Project (collectively the “Projects”) are each extension of TTC’s existing lines.
The SSE will replace the existing Scarborough Rapid Transit line and is an
extension of the existing line 2 to Scarborough Centre. The YNSE is an extension
of TTC’s existing line 1 from Finch Station through the York Region (including City
of Markham, the City of Vaughan and the City of Richmond Hill).

"Lawyer. Urbanist. Progressive." I thought the "elites" all lived downtown. Maybe he was confused when he moved back to the 6ix from NYC and didn't get the memo. Forget about the commute and try enjoying life with your fellow progressive neighbours such as OneCity.

Back