Toronto 483 Bay | 226.63m | 69s | Northam | IBI Group

Massing tower sketch aside, always thought Bell Trinity Square was a soul-sucking bunker. So in principle I say why not... assuming IBI architectural excellence ;-)

I somewhat agree about BTS. Typically anti-urban, oppressive 70's monolith. I'm fairly ambivalent regarding its fate.

Found a high res rendering:

Northam realty is the same that proposed 2 Carlton right? do they really build stuff or just flip it like Kingsett?

The dead zone along BTS's Bay Street frontage will unfortunately continue, as long as its form remains the same, despite the addition of a residential tower in the back.

Site should be 100% demoed and redesigned from the ground up. Adding a tower only locks in the existing anti-human design.

Site should be 100% demoed and redesigned from the ground up. Adding a tower only locks in the existing anti-human design.
Wow! That's all we need some more all glass podiums ! The city needs to preserve some of the icon ones.

Northam are the same folks who are also behind 250 University Ave. Another plop-a-tower-on-top project featuring a design by IBI.

Last edited:
Northam is like the Concord of combined office/residential development. Always interested in proposing soulless, uninspiring developments that somehow find a way to make the existing site they want to develop look even worse.

I'm sick of seeing their disgusting proposals. Between this, 250 University, and 2 Carlton, I cant tell which one is the most horrific of them all.

None of them have been built though, right? So far, these are just upzoning exercises.

Personally, I'm most worried by 250 University as it would wreak havoc on a genuine treasure… but then 2 Carlton has the most ridiculous space-holder design. To me, this one is easily the least offensive of the batch in terms of location of the tower vis-à-vis the original structure, and what it would do to the original structure. I think I even welcome this one as an interesting adaptation, pending further fleshing out and refinement of the design.

I'm not architect or designer but, as someone who spends time in that area of the city, I sincerely hope they demo BTS and start from scratch. That stretch of bay should be a fantastic opportunity to connect Nathan Phillip's with the Eaton Centre and on to Yonge and Dundas. Instead, it is a terribly unfriendly and imposing block. Adding residents would be great for reanimating the area but they should go all the way and reconfigure the street level.

The Mariott doesn't help that block but I think the bulk of the blame is on BTS

Back