News   Apr 25, 2024
 260     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 387     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 582     0 

The Weather

I just noticed this thread. I for one have been loving all the snow. I am a huge snowboard enthusiast and this season has been the best I can remember in Ontario. My Blue MOuntain pass has been so worthwhile. There's been many days where I've gone to the expansion area to ride the untracked powder. My friends and I have also ventured into many of the glades that seem to have never been touched before (some with a bit of hiking involved). All the snow this year has renewed my desire to move out west like to Revelstoke. I've also thought about hiking up some of the hills in the Don Valley alongside the DVP where there are many places with tons of snow and attempting some backcountry riding, Toronto style!. Too late now since a lot of snow has melted. But the season is not over yet and with the temperature supposed to be lower than normal for the next few weeks I will need to wax my snowboard a few more times.

The only reason we aren't registered as having that 20cm or anything close to it now is because in that last big snowstorm, Pearson registered with only 15 or so cm--half the figure for downtown Toronto or wherever else...

Weather Network Opens Facebook Page

The Weather Network and MétéoMédia have launched an interactive weather application on Facebook, the social networking site.

Available in English and French, the application allows users to view recent conditions and short term forecasts for cities of their choice within their Facebook profile. Users can also access long term forecasts, weather warnings and alerts, and other valuable weather information for over 5000 cities in Canada and around the world.

In addition to weather data, the application offers the ability to send messages and recent forecast information to Facebook friends. This messaging function was created by a team of in-house developers at The Weather Network and MétéoMédia and is described as an easy and useful tool for making plans, travel arrangements or setting dates with friends, developers describe.

"We believe this new application will quickly become a favourite among Facebook users," says C. Lysenko, Manager of Online Applications for The Weather Network and MétéoMédia.

Over 61 million people are active users of Facebook worldwide. Canadians are among the most active users with over seven million people said to regularly use the site.

==============================

The application is here.

How can you personalize the Weather Network?

Well technically any group can form on Facebook, person or not, but it just seems to personalize a tv network. LOL

It starts to get ridiculous. Why can't I just visit Environment Canada's website, instead of logging into Facebook (if I can even access it at work) and see the next 5 day forecast? There are also plenty of gadgets, toolbars and dashboard applications as well.

Me thinks FB applications are jumping the shark.

I haven't read this thread, but I just wanted to comment that I found it funny on TV yesterday people were saying "Oh I've had enough of winter already" and such and I'm thinking to myself, "Well then, just for you, just because your poor little soul has had enough of winter, we'll start spring off right away!"

More snow Sunday night, more snow today... (wet snow counts, right?)

How close are we to the record now?

I remember hearing a few days ago we needed just a little over 20cm to break the record. The record can't be broke any longer, as it was only for Winter and Winter, officially, is no more.

I remember hearing a few days ago we needed just a little over 20cm to break the record. The record can't be broke any longer, as it was only for Winter and Winter, officially, is no more.

Meteorological record keeping is often based on the period between July 1 to June 30 of the following year. Any snow that falls between July 1, 2007 and June 30, 2008 would be added to this winter's total snowfall. Same goes for total heating degree days. Cooling degree days on the other hand, are based on the January 1 to December 31 period.

Back