Toronto Union Park | 303.26m | 58s | Oxford Properties | Pelli Clarke Pelli

Why is the winter garden like two small sterile looking trees in a lobby, come on. The lack of effort here is borderline absolute neglect of an important site, and the attempt to sell it as some sort of premier project is just insulting on top of it. If people who design these things have such low standards or give such low effort honestly why are they in these jobs. There's lots of people who would pour thoughtfulness into things like this if they could.

Why is the winter garden like two small sterile looking trees in a lobby, come on. The lack of effort here is borderline absolute neglect of an important site, and the attempt to sell it as some sort of premier project is just insulting on top of it. If people who design these things have such low standards or give such low effort honestly why are they in these jobs. There's lots of people who would pour thoughtfulness into things like this if they could.

It is the first review of a Rezoning application. Generally interiors aren't even remotely resolved at this stage. Why bother picking trees if the City is going to come back and say they dont even support the use or density and the City hasn't had it's open Houses? This will change through the process.

As an aside, the premier element is the dedication of the space as a walkway and POPS, I think, not necessarily the design of it at this point.

I wonder if this was their inspiration? ?

i think pink Bougainvilleas on the pillars of the garden will look nice too or any other kind of colorful climbers.

EDIT: just saw these new renders of Calgary's Art commons expansion. something like this would be amazing and I know Oxford has the pockets to do execute something like this.
r0zo8v8.jpg

Last edited:
When I first heard "winter garden", the one at 20 Fenchurch first popped into my head (imagine my disappointment upon then clicking through to the renders).

C25D512E-7959-4619-98D5-18288215D9F3.jpeg
C84AE365-725C-4071-95DF-6BE87F059300.jpeg

B854B1DC-226A-4D06-B0F3-4EAC4D5CEB64.jpeg

Attachments

• C69EA70E-073A-4D32-8342-D72B916574BD.jpeg
    C69EA70E-073A-4D32-8342-D72B916574BD.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 326
When I first heard "winter garden", the one at 20 Fenchurch first popped into my head (imagine my disappointment upon then clicking through to the renders).

View attachment 207097View attachment 207098

View attachment 207099
The "winter garden" here wont even come 1/100th of the way as it has over at the London Skygarden.

The current proposal at The Hub is the closest we're going to get to that, but upon each reiteration of that project, it's getting more and more watered down. I wouldnt be surprised if we end up with 4 trees at that location by the time all is said and done.

The "winter garden" here wont even come 1/100th of the way as it has over at the London Skygarden.

The current proposal at The Hub is the closest we're going to get to that, but upon each reiteration of that project, it's getting more and more watered down. I wouldnt be surprised if we end up with 4 trees at that location by the time all is said and done.
Hey come on... ?

^Dont worry at least there would be one tree for each corner of the building!

Unlike with this "winter garden" where all we'll be seeing are faux lookalike trees.

Last edited:
Why doesn’t Toronto know how to do things well. It never impresses. They always settle for mediocrity, nothing more nothing less.

The reason is London is an International Global City. Toronto is simply not in that league. Toronto is also overshadowed by New York City and Chicago to a lesser degree and thus there is really no need to go for such extravagance. Toronto does things which are economical and simple. Its mindset is simply not flashy or extravagant and Torontonians simply do not push the architects or developers to go for something more bolder.

Back