Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I actually laughed when I read that. Are we to assume the Ontario Line will run 24 hours?

This line also caught my attention:

"For a system where capacity is the goal, the doors have the added benefit of being safer and cut down on debris littering tracks."

For a system where capacity is the goal, why not use the same, larger subway trains we use now and build it underground as was intended?

Metrolinx is becoming quite the purveyor of propaganda.

The one question about being above ground is how many weather related shutdowns will happen, especially on an automated line.

The one question about being above ground is how many weather related shutdowns will happen, especially on an automated line.
Above ground transit just has a bad repetition thanks to the SRT. Although it won't be none, it's not going to be as bad as what people think it will be. Some people even fear that the Crosstown won't work in the winter. Streetcars, subway and GO trains work in the winter.

The better question to ask is if ML is going to cheap out or not. Will they ensure the P3 does enough snow removal during snow storms and will install heating infrastructure for the tracks? The Confederation Line clearly suffered from these issues while the media went to blamed the trains. If they don't clear the snow, trains aren't going to move just like your car doesn't either. simple?

Above ground transit just has a bad repetition thanks to the SRT. Although it won't be none, it's not going to be as bad as what people think it will be. Some people even fear that the Crosstown won't work in the winter. Streetcars, subway and GO trains work in the winter.

The better question to ask is if ML is going to cheap out or not. Will they ensure the P3 does enough snow removal during snow storms and will install heating infrastructure for the tracks? The Confederation Line clearly suffered from these issues while the media went to blamed the trains. If they don't clear the snow, trains aren't going to move just like your car doesn't either. simple?

Snow is easy to deal with, there's just lots of other items that can cause a shutdown more often than a fully underground line. The question is how much thought they have put into shuttle service. The twisty-turny route means shuttle service will be extra dreadful due to the routing buses would have to make to hit the stations.

Imagine the potential future decision to have trains short turn at Laird station indefinitely and run to “shuttle buses” in mixed traffic on the east portion of the line.

Why would we do that?

In case of disabled trains, fires, or other problems.

From link from crosstown.ca.

A “turnback” is a rail crossover that connects the two tracks together allowing the light rail vehicles (LRVs) to change directions as needed. There are a total of 12 turnbacks along the line – seven at stations, and five on the surface section. Avenue Station is one of the two turnback stations that will also feature a storage track.

“Both Avenue Station and Laird Station will include a short storage track in between the easbound and westbound tracks,” said Luis Fernandez, Trackwork Project Manager, Crosslinx Transit Solutions. “This will allow the LRVs to not only change directions, but also be stored in the middle track in case of an emergency or change in service without disrupting operations.”

Sloane, a surface stop that will be located near Bermondsey Road and Eglinton Avenue East, will also feature a crossover and storage track like that at Avenue and Laird Stations.

In case of disabled trains, fires, or other problems.

From link from crosstown.ca.
That's on the crosstown. I'm thinking on the Ontario Line, where it's going to cross the Don Valley is an issue. A break in the line there is going to be a long detour for a shuttle bus, there really is no parallel road route

That's on the crosstown. I'm thinking on the Ontario Line, where it's going to cross the Don Valley is an issue. A break in the line there is going to be a long detour for a shuttle bus, there really is no parallel road route

The EA for the Ontario Line should include locations for crossovers, pocket tracks, connection tracks, and storage yards. Likely the information of such information could be copied over from the Downtown Relief Line that we were working on already, until recently.

Sorry, from out of town here. I forge whether I've asked this before. What is actually wrong with the SRT?

Many, many, many things, although in fairness very few of the issues are directly derived from the technology used on the line. The two largest issues stem from age - the rolling stock and computers used to operate the line are both long past their best-before dates - and from the fact that the line was originally intended to be operated with streetcars rather than the rolling stock that does actually operate today, and so the alignment, geography and track configurations are not ideally designed. The second point is such a concern that the current off-the-shelf versions of the rolling stock will simply not fit on the line. Due to both of these points, the ridership of the line has been artificially constrained for the better part of 15 years.

Dan

In the meantime the TTC really should aquire some of the rolling stock Vancouver is retiring. They are slightly less ancient Mark I's which might buy a bit more time.

I'm still wondering when they'll announce more details about this project though and what they are actually envisioning.

They're envisioning studying, studying, studying, delaying, delaying, delaying, getting re-elected on a last minute announcement, and then defering spending until the next election. So start construction in 8 or so years. Sounds great to me.

In the meantime the TTC really should aquire some of the rolling stock Vancouver is retiring. They are slightly less ancient Mark I's which might buy a bit more time.

Younger in years, but many are older in miles and require non-trivial modification (installation of cabs) to work on the TTC line.

Vancouver has no plans to retire any rolling stock for the immediate future.

That's not to say that the TTC didn't try almost 20 years ago. The answer they were given was "thanks, but not interested".

Younger in years, but many are older in miles and require non-trivial modification (installation of cabs) to work on the TTC line.

Correct on the first two counts, but the third point - the cabs - is actually far less of an issue than you'd think.

Dan

Back