News   May 02, 2024
 291     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 167     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 221     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

They will NOT be installing this on any light rail, streetcar, or even railway crossing in Toronto. Spending money for the benefit of wheelchair users, cyclists, or non-automobile user is against their upbringing.

Here’s how to make railway tracks safe for cyclists

From link.

5AQZZYIE4Y3J5C3CULPWHVVELE.jpg

Your average train or streetcar track is built with little regard for those on bikes, rollerblades or in wheelchairs. Thin wheels can get caught in the flange gap unless it is carefully crossed at a 90 degree angle. Seattle, for one, has installed sharrows (shared-lane markings) to encourage those at risk to cross at a safe angle. However, a better more universal solution is available from a company in Southeast Germany.

The Kraiburg Group sells veloSTRAIL, a rubber strip that covers nearly the entire flange gap. The remaining space is too small for even the thinnest wheels to lodge in. Someone on a bike or wheelchair can cross the tracks at any angle without worrying about being thrown to the ground or stuck in the tracks. Trains and streetcars can still traverse tracks with veloSTRAIL provided they don’t exceed 75 mph.

CL6AFKXCHY3F5FLNEETP6KJNFI.jpg

Notice how the train wheel crosses veloSTRAIL and pushes the protective rubber downwards. A bike or wheelchair won’t have the same effect. (Kraiburg Group)

“The train wheel will simply deflect the rubber, because it is very flexible. Afterwards it pops back out,” explained Willy Molter, an export director at the company.

The idea came for veloSTRAIL came from a workshop in 2007 held with current and prospective customers to learn what they liked about its products, and what they didn’t like. After getting the suggestion, its engineers began designing a safer crossing.

In 2008, the technology made its debut in Austria. It’s now between 5 and 10 percent of the Krailburg Group’s railway crossing business. Motler say veloSTRAIL costs 15 percent more than traditional alternatives. For now, its business is focused in Europe and New Zealand, but it’s considering an expansion to North America.

They will NOT be installing this on any light rail, streetcar, or even railway crossing in Toronto. Spending money for the benefit of wheelchair users, cyclists, or non-automobile user is against their upbringing.

Here’s how to make railway tracks safe for cyclists

From link.

5AQZZYIE4Y3J5C3CULPWHVVELE.jpg

CL6AFKXCHY3F5FLNEETP6KJNFI.jpg

Notice how the train wheel crosses veloSTRAIL and pushes the protective rubber downwards. A bike or wheelchair won’t have the same effect. (Kraiburg Group)

my only concern is that it probably doesn't work very well at intersections where they're needed most but it's definitely better than nothing

Can overhead taking place in the tunnel from the west portal to Keele Station?? Noticed on Sunday 2 overhead lift outside the portal, with one on each track.

my only concern is that it probably doesn't work very well at intersections where they're needed most but it's definitely better than nothing
My concern is snow plows are going to destroy them in the winter assuming the material can stand a wide range of temperature swing. If they harden in harsh winter weather or ice builds up on the rail edges, then there is a fear streetcars will derail too. Who knows what road salt will do to them.

My concern is snow plows are going to destroy them in the winter assuming the material can stand a wide range of temperature swing. If they harden in harsh winter weather or ice builds up on the rail edges, then there is a fear streetcars will derail too. Who knows what road salt will do to them.

In some cases like at Birchmount and Eglinton the road has been raised and there is now a steep incline/decline on either side of the tracks.

It is very much noticeable on the sidewalk too as the bus stop is now below grade. This is because the road was raised up to meet the tracks. Sidewalk plows will have a hard time clearing the area and TTC passengers will have to climb up out of a pit to board a bus.

Snowplows navigating this will have a hell of a time.

All these issues only appeared AFTER the tracks went in.

I last shot that area on Aug 23, concrete not pour for the rails yet and it was ready except for a small area. That photo say no work has taken place since my last visit when it was that way and waiting splicing of the rail to the road section. They should be on the east side of Pharmacy setting up now with the west side completed

I await the day when this mess will be over and done with. Kennedy and Eglinton is a disaster.

Therefore, NEVER do repairwork, upgrades, improvements, nor construction of any kind that will disrupt traffic flow. Not even filling potholes, because they will block traffic in the process.

Therefore, NEVER do repairwork, upgrades, improvements, nor construction of any kind that will disrupt traffic flow. Not even filling potholes, because they will block traffic in the process.
it's the disorderly, mickey mouse approach to the project, lanes randomly ending with no warning, stuff scattered all over the place, the glacial pace of everything with no sense of urgency. Sad that our public infrastructure projects are now approached like they used to be in the developing world, whereas the developing world is able to get stuff done and build impressive stuff quickly.

it's the disorderly, mickey mouse approach to the project, lanes randomly ending with no warning, stuff scattered all over the place, the glacial pace of everything with no sense of urgency. Sad that our public infrastructure projects are now approached like they used to be in the developing world, whereas the developing world is able to get stuff done and build impressive stuff quickly.
This is the P3 approach to the infrastructure construction. They build to see what fits the budget the best while fulfilling all the contract criterias. They just have to finish by a certain date.

Although it looks like a disaster, they really have another full year to do this. There is no rush and thus I don't see why they need to rush this by hiring more people and spending more public funds.

This is the P3 approach to the infrastructure construction. They build to see what fits the budget the best while fulfilling all the contract criteria. They just have to finish by a certain date.

Although it looks like a disaster, they really have another full year to do this. There is no rush and thus I don't see why they need to rush this by hiring more people and spending more public funds.

If its the private P3 consortium fault for the delay, no public funds should be spent. Of course they will always try to blame the government to not have to pay haha..

If its the private P3 consortium fault for the delay, no public funds should be spent. Of course they will always try to blame the government to not have to pay haha..
I mean before ML approved the contract, Crosslinx would have proposed how much it will cost to build the surface section. If ML ask for work to be done quickly (let's say within 3 months), the cost would have been higher upfront. Of course the Libs was trying to keep the project cost as low as possible. So we see what ML brought to us and they are partially to blame for the project scheduling.

Back