News   Mar 28, 2024
 326     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 265     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 298     0 

Toronto Tech Boom

..but I don't think I classify as a millenial (38). Maybe Gen X?

You're a Xennial (microgeneration; very late 70's/early 80's), at that transition period between analog and digital which separates Gen X from Millennial.

Sounds like what I'm doing..but I don't think I classify as a millenial (38). Maybe Gen X?

It's true though, I don't want to raise a family downtown in a condo which is really all we can afford. Also didn't want any parts of $1M for a tiny house with sloped floors... so moving up north. I'm sure some will stay downtown and try to make it work but we'll see a good amount of people move out of the core for cheaper housing. Mississauga, Etobicoke, Oshawa, Whitby, etc... Much cheaper housing.

Lots of reasonably priced housing stock on Danforth East (Woodbine/Vic Park) and all along South Scarborough. No need to go as far as Oshawa. A lot of Tech is located along the DVP/404 corridor (up to Markham) so the commute is nicer from the east side.

I also suspect that Mimico/New Toronto area is still relatively affordable, but I don't know the area as well.

Lots of reasonably priced housing stock on Danforth East (Woodbine/Vic Park) and all along South Scarborough. No need to go as far as Oshawa. A lot of Tech is located along the DVP/404 corridor (up to Markham) so the commute is nicer from the east side.

I also suspect that Mimico/New Toronto area is still relatively affordable, but I don't know the area as well.

Yea, I wouldn't go as far as Markham but not a big fan of Danforth/Woodbine area. I get the attraction, just not for me.

<shrug> not sure why not. Good schools, nice parks, close access to great beaches, TTC and GO. And brewpubs out the yin yang :)

Markham is closer than Oshawa to downtown, btw

If we are talking tech though I think, and I know this sounds weird, millennials are starting to get old. Future trends are more about the millennials kids. It can easily take 10 years to plan and execute a transit line here. In that time frame some millennial kids will be in university or college

Last edited:
A vast array of articles in the US on Toronto as the new tech hub.

Only noticed this when seeing the The Star's reprint of a WSJ article on the subject.

Googling to see reaction........I found many additional pieces.

I'm happy to see positive publicity for our City; but the series of articles w/similar headlines, not all attributed to one source, and different authors suggest someone at work to get our fair town some mention.

I'd be fascinated to know who decided this should be a story this month.

Of note in a Reddit thread in response to the WSJ piece.......someone saying they are an employee of Amazon in Toronto suggests they have exceeded 1,000 Toronto-based staff in 2 buildings that are now at or near capacity and hiring is continuing apace.

I don’t understand why people put so much personal information on Facebook. It strikes me as insane to let the world know you’re going to be out of your house for two weeks. For that matter, if you publish the names of your kids and pets, as well as your birth and high school graduation dates, the world has a pretty good start on cracking your security questions for things like online banking.
It's the same as giving out your mobile number. People have no idea the privacy risk, since two step authentication almost always uses your phone. All someone needs to do is use your Facebook personal details and impersonate you to get a phone sim swap, (here's how) and then they request a password change from your bank, which of course results in a verification text to your now stolen phone. That's why two step verification should never be set up to go to your phone.

Right, to add, most of these "satellite" offices that are opening here are small when compared to satellite offices of the same companies in larger US cities. That is I think this whole thing is being blown out of proportion. With that said, all the pieces are here for this to actually happen i.e.
- Extremely cheap labour, Toronto tech salaries are still likely the lowest when comparing it to the larger US cities (and this not due to currency differences i.e. even when compared at par) ... they have been increasing over the years but still ...
- A huge talent pool, both local and international, I'd argue amongst the top 5 in NA

Anyway I'd argue most of this "tech-boom" has been driven locally, despite what articles would have you believe (by locally I mean local smaller companies, and/or larger international companies that have been here for years )

It's the same as giving out your mobile number. People have no idea the privacy risk, since two step authentication almost always uses your phone. All someone needs to do is use your Facebook personal details and impersonate you to get a phone sim swap, (here's how) and then they request a password change from your bank, which of course results in a verification text to your now stolen phone. That's why two step verification should never be set up to go to your phone.
There's a good reason to include at least one obviously incorrect answer that the rightful owner knows for the security questions.

One common security question (aside from mother's maiden name) includes the year one met his/her significant other for the first time. For those who choose to be celibate, one could use that question and have the answer be in the distant past or the distant future. This will confuse anyone attempting to use social engineering. The same can be done with the name of the first pet despite never owning a pet, the college graduation year despite not having any post-secondary education (not even freshman), etc. One could even say that his/her favourite colour is 3.141592653589793.

Toronto dubbed Canada's top market for tech employment: report

Ainsley Smith Nov 26 2019, 1:03 pm

CBRE has released its latest Canadian Tech Talent Ranking and it revealed that Toronto is far outpacing Canada’s other leading tech centres.

To make its ranking, CBRE analyzed 20 Canadian cities to create a scorecard that ranks their tech talent offerings.

The scorecard uses 13 metrics to measure each market’s depth, vitality, and attractiveness to tech employers and potential employees, including the availability of talent, quality of labour and gross operating costs.

To generate an overall score, each metric has been weighted by relative importance to companies seeking tech talent.

Toronto claimed the top spot with an overall score of 88.1, followed by Ottawa, Vancouver, Waterloo Region, and Montreal, respectively, to round up the top five spots.

The report revealed that Toronto is home to 228,500 tech workers, which make up 8.3% of the total employment.

1574869137798.png

Last edited:
Stepping aside from the Calgary thing, any guesses as to which firm it could be?

"We as an organization just lost a 1,000-person company that didn't come to Calgary, selected another city, because they're concerned about Wexit," she said. "So we need to tell a unified story about Calgary."

The city was high on the unnamed firm's shortlist of potential hosts until alarms were raised over Wexit, she said in an interview after the speech.

The company was also unhappy about the removal of some tech-friendly tax incentives in the United Conservative government's recent provincial budget, she said.

The Canadian digital company can't be identified because it has not yet announced the community that made the winning bid to host its new headquarters, said Moran.

Stepping aside from the Calgary thing, any guesses as to which firm it could be?

There's no way they were spooked by "Wexit" which is not a real thing (you read that here first, folks!...don't forget your source ;) )

The tax incentives cancellation is what spooked them.

I'll bet on it.

As to who it might be....what's that online retailer headquartered in Ottawa run by that German dude called? They run online shops for retailers or something and are now growing faster than Amazon and are actually competing with baldy's company in a lot of areas.
I can't remember the name but I'll place another bet that it's them.

Back