Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Yes, you're correct, but until Saturday night/Sunday morning, it was only visible from the ramp from Via to the Great Hall. Overnight, they removed the hoarding on the lower paths from Via to the Lower Great Hall and now the sunlight reaches down to the lower levels of the Via concourse/Great Hall.
I hope I didn’t miss something — where is the “Lower Great Hall?”
After the covering above the ramp was cleared — where light now floods in — I began anew to anticipate the opening of the two areas on either side of the ramp. I can recall seeing blue/turquoise ceiling tile-work but I can’t figure how these spaces will be used. They used to house a variety store on the east side and a sandwich shop on the west, IIRC.

I hope I didn’t miss something — where is the “Lower Great Hall?”
After the covering above the ramp was cleared — where light now floods in — I began anew to anticipate the opening of the two areas on either side of the ramp. I can recall seeing blue/turquoise ceiling tile-work but I can’t figure how these spaces will be used. They used to house a variety store on the east side and a sandwich shop on the west, IIRC.
The two spaces with the nice turquoise ceiling tiles and lights (currently obstructed by plywood hoarding) are open areas as the side ramps going to the VIA Arrivals are double height. The two areas you are talking about are at the top of the main ramp to the Great Hall. One is used as a waiting area and the other has a display of VIA memorabilia.

The two spaces with the nice turquoise ceiling tiles and lights (currently obstructed by plywood hoarding) are open areas as the side ramps going to the VIA Arrivals are double height. The two areas you are talking about are at the top of the main ramp to the Great Hall. One is used as a waiting area and the other has a display of VIA memorabilia.

No.. I think he means the rickety makeshift shacks on either side of the ramp. One was a convenience shop and the other was a sandwich shop.

These were south of the two little alcoves you mentioned.

I believe back in the 70s they were direct access to Track 1 via the Great Hall.

No.. I think he means the rickety makeshift shacks on either side of the ramp. One was a convenience shop and the other was a sandwich shop.

These were south of the two little alcoves you mentioned.

I believe back in the 70s they were direct access to Track 1 via the Great Hall.
OK, I think these are not returning but I guess we will see once the hoarding is removed.

I ate at the market for the first time on Sunday. Great selection of food but we had to leave as we couldn't hear each other speak over the music. Would be hell to work there all day, like working at a jeans store in a mall.

And those jersey barriers that line the street look like hell, they aren't even postioned in an orderly manner just plunked willy-nilly.

^ I can't remember where but I'm sure I read this City is studying a more permanent solution to those barriers.

^ I can't remember where but I'm sure I read this City is studying a more permanent solution to those barriers.
Yes, this was stated about 6 months ago and repeated to me recently by the Mayor's Office. H]ow much time does the City need to buy and install bollards, planters or ANYTHING better than the Jersey barriers - which are not even much use!

I ate at the market for the first time on Sunday. Great selection of food but we had to leave as we couldn't hear each other speak over the music. Would be hell to work there all day, like working at a jeans store in a mall.

And those jersey barriers that line the street look like hell, they aren't even postioned in an orderly manner just plunked willy-nilly.

Those barriers are the worst. They severely impact pedestrian traffic flow during rush hour with people crossing to get to Union station. They just placed them there randomly. I also don't get why there aren't any barriers on the other sides of that intersection since they get just as busy.

The hoardings are mostly gone along the ramp from the Great Hall to the VIA Concourse. You can see down to the corridors leading from VIA toward the so-called Arrivals area and toward the supposed-to-be-called Front St Promenade.

The tile ceilings above these corridors are amazing and the lamps are most welcome to see.

The locations of those former stores off of the ramp are a bit of a mystery though. The short balcony/walkway spaces seem to terminate in cinderblock walls.

Yes, this was stated about 6 months ago and repeated to me recently by the Mayor's Office. H]ow much time does the City need to buy and install bollards, planters or ANYTHING better than the Jersey barriers - which are not even much use!

I am not even sure what's there is to study. It isn't something they need to invent a sh*tty Toronto-specific solution for. It's just bollards, not putting a man on the moon (or electrifying GO trains).

AoD

I noticed today that most of the plywood has now been removed from the sides of the ramp going from the Great Hall to the VIA concourse. You can now look over into the lower "VIA arrivals" ramps on both sides. The two narrow 'passageways' that apparently used to lead to platform 1 are still boarded off and it's hard to see what they could/will be used for. I assume the western of the two (lower) passageways to the VIA arrivals area will re-open soon (it looks as finished s the already open east one - though both still need to have their terrazzo floors polished.

Union Plaza looks great for the summer!

Back