Toronto Hospital For Sick Children: Patient Support Centre | 99.06m | 22s | Sick Kids | B+H

i like the curves, that's about it. the replacement is way better. will bring some color to the area.

It's not glass. It's doesn't have any protrusions or bright colours. The replacement is as generic as they come. I do like the replacement more but, there's too much of that being built already. Variety is spice.

Was the McMaster Building expanded to the north at one point? I don't understand the column of precast

Doubtful, it's likely just a small design feature. It's also not precast but insulated metal panel.

In the end, sure, it's not a huge 'loss' architecturally, but as @maestro states above, what's replacing it isn't really blowing the doors off the conservative architectural establishment either.

I'm just going to be the contrarian here and say I both love the old building (those rounded corners are great and with a bit of TLC and maybe a few updates it could really shine) and the new one too (love the fins, the shifting stacked floor plates, and the splashes of colour). ?

Today.
B27E82B0-CD49-446E-BBDF-02085910DC3E.jpeg

Good upside and future impacts with the new building for sure, but I do find some interesting institutional and streamlined industrial (almost moderne) qualities to the former.

Disagree. I love it.
Replacement is fine but the curved, opaque edges here are too awesome. Very early-Grimshaw-esque.
I'm just going to be the contrarian here and say I both love the old building (those rounded corners are great and with a bit of TLC and maybe a few updates it could really shine) . ?
but I do find some interesting institutional and streamlined industrial (almost moderne) qualities to the former.

Thank god for UT that 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, :)

UT has nothing to do with it. Our species probably owes its continued existence to beauty being in the eye of the beholder. Taste is measurable. We wouldn't have star architects if it weren't.

Back