News   May 06, 2024
 335     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 911     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 635     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

From the EMSF Open House yesterday:

I always thought sand was pumped in from the top, because, you know, gravity. Didn't expect it to get pumped through a tiny port beside the door.

really depends on where the tank is. I guess for the freedoms its located underneath the front seats maybe? would make more sense to have the port at mid level then as it is now

Judging by the sand you see in the TTC Flexity streetcars sometimes, then they do still manually fill them some times.

Do the TTC cars have such a port?

Judging by the sand you see in the TTC Flexity streetcars sometimes, then they do still manually fill them some times.

They fill them with sand at Leslie barns before they go out for service, the older fleet gets filed by the drivers at stations when needed.

The TTC's Flexities are filled the same way, from the same ports at the front and rear trucks. The sand you see inside is from loose piping allowing sand to escape, or from overfilling the cylinders.

Sorry but why are we pumping buses with sand ??

They're not filling buses with sand.

Streetcars and subways, on the other hand, use sand to increase traction.

Dan

The TTC's Flexities are filled the same way, from the same ports at the front and rear trucks. The sand you see inside is from loose piping allowing sand to escape, or from overfilling the cylinders.
Ah, interesting. I was surprised the first time I saw it - but have only seen it a couple of times!

Of course you see sand on some bus routes - the 92 Woodbine South comes to mind ... but there's other reasons for that. :)

What do the distress and vigilance buttons do?

The button positioning makes me visualize a driver using the distress button in a situation when someone is on the tracks, vigilance when someone may enter the tracks, and sand when they don't give a shit and just want people out of the way!

It looks like it is progressing quickly at Kennedy but it still very much a construction site. Nowhere near as complete as it looks.
It does seem optimistic that it will be open in 27 months - which you'd think would mean they'd be running trains that far in less than 2 years.

It does seem optimistic that it will be open in 27 months - which you'd think would mean they'd be running trains that far in less than 2 years.
apparently, they are supposed to open in September of 2021, at least that's what one of the people at the doors open event said.

I can tell you that site didn't look like that a couple months ago so i'm actually surprised at how much progress has occurred since then.

I don't think they have as much ppl working on this overall project as we expect, because they get a lot done in spurts at various locations

apparently, they are supposed to open in September of 2021, at least that's what one of the people at the doors open event said.
Metrolinx and IO have been saying September 2021 (27 months away) for years - I just have a hard time believing it, looking at the photos, the further east you get.

Back