Toronto Vü Condos | 83.51m | 24s | Aspen Ridge | Hariri Pontarini

THIS is exactly what should have gone up in the Distrillery instead of two inappropriate point towers.

THIS is exactly what should have gone up in the Distrillery instead of two inappropriate point towers.

Distillery1995.jpg

Original Distillery Design, by Roger du Toit Architects, 1995. (I grabbed this from a slide show from my urban Design class)

Other than the lack of point towers how is that any different than what is going up now? Note the additions built on top of the older buildings, three of which were actually completed. Also note the absence of Rackhouse M. which is the one most people here complain about.

The lack of point towers is exactly what I was pointing out. The plan is conceptual from 1995, well before the DD opened in its current form. What the above plan shows is something different than what is actually getting built, something that I find more akin to VU than the Spirits. I'm not about to debate the merits of this plan vs. current plans more than that, frankly because I don't want to. Just take this as some other plan that never materialized.

Other than the lack of point towers how is that any different than what is going up now? Note the additions built on top of the older buildings, three of which were actually completed. Also note the absence of Rackhouse M. which is the one most people here complain about.

Well, even then there was heritage community protest, court challenges, etc--it was only buried in the mist because we didn't yet have this interweb thingy to spread the word beyond the same old Jane Beecroft types...

The tallest condo, at the left of the du Toit model, has about the same mass and height as one of the two Consumers' Gas gasometer thingys that stood immediately to the north of that site until the 1950s/60s.

Back to the VU site .... the third crane is going up today. At corner of Jarvis/Richmond. The number of workers on this site keeps increasing so I think we may see it moving ahead fairly quickly. Apart from removing the ramp I think the excavation is now all done.

March 6

Looking south from Richmond.
2320193852_10e018ce66_b.jpg

Adelaide and Jarvis looking east, third crane is being delivered.
2320193858_883e587362_b.jpg

Looking east from Jarvis.
2320193860_17c460652e_b.jpg

Adelaide looking west.
2320193864_ff2f9635e1_b.jpg

BAC is visible in the background to the left of Spire.
2320193870_33833c1225_b.jpg

Truck waiting for its turn on Adelaide at St. James Park looking east.
2320193888_0059dc858a_b.jpg

great picture update! this one sure is gaining momentum. It will be fun to watch that western view progress over the next year or so with BA filling in the gap between Scotia and Spire while Vu rises in the foreground!

Back