Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

lol because weaponizing transit politics has worked so well for Toronto. For the record, I hate it when any party does this.
I suppose it can goes both ways, the same way a major sporting event usually opens the infrastructural purse pockets.

The issue in Toronto is that no one could decide if they wanted an idealistic or pragmatic transit plan and tons of time, money and politicking were wasted in flipping back and forth between the two.

Now that the province has more or less overridden the city and selected an idealistic plan, it really now falls to them fulfilling those plans- if the government is willing to push through, or drag out those plans as election points (like what's happened to RER and HSR).

If I've taken your comment out of context, then please explain...who is "they"?

The politicians. Instead of telling us how they will make things better for all, they say how they are different from the other guys. They bash each other. So, their comment is the best they can do. Sheer has not released much of anything, but will go after Trudeau for all the things he hasn't done well at. Why not instead tell us something concrete of how you would do it different. This is how politics have been done for at least the last 20 years.

I'm still waiting to see what rapid transit projects in the Toronto area have started under Trudeau's watch, and with his extolled Infrastructure Fund money specifically. Hmm...

Well, if Ford and Tory can sort things out, this line could be started. Realistically, nothing new. Part of that is due to the desire to finish one project at a time. If they are going to do that, they need to make sure that each new project is shovel ready.

Sorry Michael, you're still talking in circles.

This is down to Ford. Not Trudeau, not Scheer, not Ronald McDonald. What is it you don't understand about:
Ontario also expects the Government of Canada and the City to help fund these projects to te tune of $17.3 billion, but, the Premier said yesterday that if other governments don't step up, that the Province would be prepared to 'back stop' the work, especially the extra costs for the Line 2 extension into Scarborough.
http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2019/04/ontario-government-lines-new-toronto-transit-plan

Sorry Michael, you're still talking in circles.

This is down to Ford. Not Trudeau, not Scheer, not Ronald McDonald. What is it you don't understand about:

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2019/04/ontario-government-lines-new-toronto-transit-plan

Whit the way I am doing it, I could be a Mayor, Premier or even a Prime Minister. Politicians never have concrete answers. They have promises that get broken or canceled due to them not doing the funding check on them.

So, lets see who can get a new line built.

lol because weaponizing transit politics has worked so well for Toronto. For the record, I hate it when any party does this.

Municipally I agree, It was all map drawing to attract voters. That was the game because there was no chance to seriously fund at the municipal level and no sustainable plan from upper levels even being discussed. No matter how many corners were cut in the inner Toronto plan it wouldn't matter as there was little discussion or pressure up above.

The current Provincial admin is looking to opportunistically capitalize on both drawing a better map as the City butchered in their very limited capped funding environment and now hoping to capitalize politically in the Federal election on the overdue funding. This is far different here as Provincial & Federally is now a discussion about real funding thats getting turned up a notch.

These political games should have been going on decades at our upper levels. It's great news for the GTA that a voice for transit expansion funding has escalated up above and will begin set the tone for all parties moving forward to be pay more attention. No matter what party going forward is in power this political escalation is very a good thing in the long run and the discussions are longggggggggg overdue.

Last edited:
As much as I detest this Conservative government, Yurek isnt nearly as close to being as bad as Del Duca was regarding photo ops. Del Duca was just a pure embarassment holding press conferences for useless things such as: Tim Horton's opening in select GO Stations, and Loblaw's initiating grocery pickups from select GO Stations among many others.

To be frank, Del Duca was the worst Ontario Transportation Minister that i've seen in my time.

I dunno, for me I'd rather hear Del Duca's monotonous drone vs this "for the people", "putting the people first" garbage line all the ministers are spewing. That got old, pretty much immediately. It's just so tacky and stupid and everyone knows it.

^ It's like having to choose who's going to babysit your kids: The Woos or the Whimp. (I originally used stronger terms, but in the interest of not overstepping bounds, I neutered them)

I must admit that Yurek does have flashes of likeability to him. It's just the kids he hangs out with that really concerns me...

Ontario's Government for the People Taking Action to Get Subway Lines Built Faster
The Getting Ontario Moving Act will Upload Responsibility for Subway Expansions and New Builds, Improve Road Safety, Cut Red Tape and Find Efficiencies
May 1, 2019 8:00 A.M.
Ministry of Transportation

Transit users and commuters who have been stuck on overcrowded subways, frustrated by delays and left waiting for transit improvements will see real relief thanks to the Ontario Government's comprehensive plan to get Ontarians moving.

Jeff Yurek, Minister of Transportation announced that the Getting Ontario Moving Act will be in introduced in the Legislature tomorrow, May 2, and if passed, would make sure new subways lines are built quickly to get Ontarians to work faster, to home sooner, and to family and friends quicker.

"We campaigned on a promise to take action to transform public transit and that is exactly what we are doing," said Minister Yurek. "And that is why tomorrow, our Government will introduce legislation that if passed would upload the Toronto subway infrastructure, allowing us to get shovels in the ground and get new subways built faster." Minister Yurek made the announcement to members of the Toronto Board of Trade in a breakfast speech at the Westin Harbour Castle Conference Centre.

The Getting Ontario Moving Act will also include measures to cut red tape and burdensome regulations, save business and taxpayers time and money, and help keep Ontario's roads among the safest in North America. Ontario's government is making life easier for people and businesses in the province by delivering simpler, faster, and better government services.

"Whether you are a parent whose children ride a school bus each day, a worker whose job is on a roadway or a driver who wants our roads to be safer, each person who uses our province's roads will benefit from our government's action to protect Ontarians and invest in transportation," Minister Yurek said.

Back