News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 662     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 305     0 

Eglinton East LRT | Metrolinx

Altered? Or didn't do a full build-out? Presumably the ultimate design is the same or similar, with minor modifications to deal with a smaller initial capacity.

Probably leaving some open grass space for future expansion. Could even take over employee parking spaces should they be desperate.

This project has dropped down in priority. To me it's pretty much dead at this point.

but all the eglinton east lrt would have done was conveniently brought people to two go stations. Plus if we get one extra subway stop at mccowan and eglinton where there is no go stations but a strip club we will all be better off for it.

but all the eglinton east lrt would have done was conveniently brought people to two go stations. Plus if we get one extra subway stop at mccowan and eglinton where there is no go stations but a strip club we will all be better off for it.

I actually agree. Scarborough is Ford's mess. If he wants to improve transit there now, its in his hands. Good to see Bloor/Yonge move up on the priority list. What happens when the Province takes over Scaborough Subway and the DRL though? Do the federal funds get redirected or do they move with the project to the Province?

I actually agree. Scarborough is Ford's mess. If he wants to improve transit there now, its in his hands. Good to see Bloor/Yonge move up on the priority list. What happens when the Province takes over Scaborough Subway and the DRL though? Do the federal funds get redirected or do they move with the project to the Province?

Ultimately, since the municipality isn't a separate legal entity for the feds to negotiate with, the funds and responsibility to adhere to the contract are the provinces responsibility. The province typically delegates all or part of that work to one of their internal municipal organizations (like Municipality of Toronto).

In short, whether the province delegates that work to the city or not doesn't matter to the feds. They're happy provided the money is spent in a manner compliant with the contract (specific projects, minimum matching funding, deadlines, advertising/billboard mentions, etc.)

Last edited:
i think ford should host his transit announcement from caddies in honour of the mayor of heaven, his subways subways subways, his respect for Scarborough, his respect for tax payers, and his stopping the gravy train..

I actually agree. Scarborough is Ford's mess.
By Ford, I assume you mean Kathleen Wynne, who pushed for subways behind the scenes to kill the Ford LRT plan.
Or maybe Karen Stintz, who stabbed Ford in the back and proposed the subway over the Ford LRT.
Or maybe City Council, or John Tory, who voted for subway over the Ford LRT.
By the time Rob (and Doug) Ford was promoting the subway - all of the above already endorsed it.

The Eglinton East LRT was already DOA (Dead on Arrival) from the moment it was announced. The whole thing was a ploy by Tory to push through his idiotic 1 stop subway extension to STC by "appeasing" councilors who stated the subway would do nothing to improve transit for the majority of Scarborough residents and it would increase travel times for most of those residents.

^Far from DOA. Right now there is political theatre going on with the Mayor during the subway upload period that does makes it seems like the line wont be built. IMO the outcome of the upload "negotiation" is already well known between all Conservatives, Tory and Ford.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...brown-would-change-toronto-transit-plans.html

"In return, the Tories would ask the city to make a “significant financial investment” to extend the Eglinton Crosstown LRT to the University of Toronto’s Scarborough campus. The line is unfunded and estimated to cost $1.7 billion."

There is little difference between the Brown transit plan and Fords. Lots of optics being played from Tory in the media when everyone already knows the one stop subway is not going to be built by the Province. Removing the subway funds and keeping the EELRT promise will make Tory and a few other councilors look good as a "win-win" and Torys just acting the part of looking tough on the Province until they finalize matters and announce the details.

This the only LRT line which is politically supported within Scarborough, the design is moving ahead and I fully expect this trade off of as the outcome

Last edited:
These LRT lines are far from dead.

Tory Twitter

"I will also be asking our city and TTC staff to identify a way in which we can accelerate work on the Eglinton East LRT and Waterfront transit projects as a city. These are important community and employment connectors and I want to see us continue to move them forward. "

I don't see Doug supporting a non grade separated LRT in the east. I guess the city could pay for it itself, but it is an extension to a line the province owns, so I'm not sure how that would work. Its possible this may yet live but I don't see it being built any time soon

I don't see Doug supporting a non grade separated LRT in the east. I guess the city could pay for it itself, but it is an extension to a line the province owns, so I'm not sure how that would work. Its possible this may yet live but I don't see it being built any time soon
I doubt it considering the Province is asking the City to pony up cash for the Subway plan. Considering the City and Feds will be on the hook to fill in the remaining $17 Billion for the Subway plan I think we can be certain any contribution we make will eat into our finances to such a degree that funding the EELRT and Waterfront Lines will be out of the question for decades. If the City seeks to fund these projects themselves then we will have to make the unappealing choice to either raise taxes or introduce new revenue streams.

I expect it to be"negotiated" gesture in the upload. The Province funds more towards the subway, the City funds more towards this line. Ford happy, Tory happy, residents happy, other political parties have little wiggle room left to play on transit capital planning.

Considering this was the resolution in the Patrick Brown campaign and City is vocally keeping these lines as top priorities I cant see it not happening..

I doubt it considering the Province is asking the City to pony up cash for the Subway plan. Considering the City and Feds will be on the hook to fill in the remaining $17 Billion for the Subway plan I think we can be certain any contribution we make will eat into our finances to such a degree that funding the EELRT and Waterfront Lines will be out of the question for decades. If the City seeks to fund these projects themselves then we will have to make the unappealing choice to either raise taxes or introduce new revenue streams.

Its early in the upload process. Right now theres alot of poltical theatrics as the Province is flexing its muscles and the City (Tory) is standing firm on its commitments but knowing he has little say. When the final agreement is signed im sure their will be some good faith handshaking between Tory and Ford

Last edited:
These LRT lines are far from dead.

Tory Twitter

"I will also be asking our city and TTC staff to identify a way in which we can accelerate work on the Eglinton East LRT and Waterfront transit projects as a city. These are important community and employment connectors and I want to see us continue to move them forward. "
Oh I don't know Tory...raising taxes maybe? ;)

Its early in the upload process. Right now theres alot of poltical theatrics as the Province is flexing its muscles and the City (Tory) is standing firm on its commitments but knowing he has little say. When the final agreement is signed im sure their will be some good faith handshaking between Tory and Ford
That's fine and it would be nice, however I fear any Provincial involvment will come with strings attached, specifically reuiqring these lines to be built in the most unproductive way. Look at the Eglinton West extension, there is zero justification for that line to be underground yet the powers that be insist it must be for reason I don't think anyone will ever understand. Whats to stop the Province from doing this to the EELRT and Waterfront lines and inflating both the price and scope of the projects? I don't like the Cities or Provinces unhealthy obsession with everything needing to be underground, and I have no doubt that any cooperation from the Province will come with these ludicrous strings attached.

Back