Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

B-D subway has over 500k riders per day.
You think its not possible that this new line will have 1/3 of that?
The DRL projections were about 20k per hour (per direction). You think 10x this in a day is not possible?

So in other words the existing plan to use current subway technology is capable of moving "hundreds of thousands of people" so why would Ford's jaw drop when presented an alternative that does the same except would create an orphan line, orphan trainsets, etc, etc, etc.

We are 50 years behind in building NEEDED transit infrastructure in the GTA. We need to build not come up with newfangled technologies.

So in other words the existing plan to use current subway technology is capable of moving "hundreds of thousands of people" so why would Ford's jaw drop when presented an alternative that does the same except would create an orphan line, orphan trainsets, etc, etc, etc.

We are 50 years behind in building NEEDED transit infrastructure in the GTA. We need to build not come up with newfangled technologies.

There is nothing particularly new about any of the technologies we have heard around here. I have no issue with orphan trainsets iff they are used extensively - the issues that concerns me are the alignment, the location of the stations - things that really determines the nature of this new "relief line"; and the finer details - who is paying whom, and what are the terms of those arrangements. The necessary details for a truly meaningful assessment that can't be communicated in a few tweets and vaguely worded letters.

AoD

If we go back 8 years, another Ford agreed to a combined Eglinton Scarborough LRT. We know Ford didn't come up with the idea, but we know it was the best means of serving STC. Metrolinx was behind that, and even completed a Benefit Case to confirm it was a better choice than either the "Transfer LRT" or the subway extension. The reason we got into this whole mess we are in is because Toronto (Council and MPPs at the time) decided it was more important to attack Ford, then to build good transit.
Here we are again. We know Ford didn't come up with this new plan, but it's easy to believe that there is a better plan than the DRL short. Although I don't like how Ford is being coy, it is likely that history will repeat itself and many will choose to attack Ford rather than have good transit.

Don't conflate history. The city had plans for the SRT (conversion to LRT) and it was Ford who threw that all out with his subways subways subway (tm) plan. Now the city is finally working on a DRL (subway!) line and Ford 2.0 wants to toss that out for his unspecified new technology.

Granted the Ford's are not the first to use this strategy of throwing out "the previous people's plan" in favour of beginning a study on their new plan, but let's not forget just how much the Ford's did toss out because it was not "their" plan. They are just as partisan as those who attack them simply because they are Ford's

Isn’t the point of using “newfangled technologies” that:

1. They’re only newfangled to Toronto (like the pantograph we’re finally implementing on our trams). For the rest of the world, they’re a standard that’s been in use for quite a while, so procurement and maintenance may be cheaper; and
  2. They’re more appropriate for surface operation in a regional network not unlike the Paris RER or Sydney Trains.

There is nothing particularly new about any of the technologies we have heard around here. I have no issue with orphan trainsets iff they are used extensively - the issues that concerns me are the alignment, the location of the stations - things that really determines the nature of this new "relief line"; and the finer details - who is paying whom, and what are the terms of those arrangements. The necessary details for a truly meaningful assessment that can't be communicated in a few tweets and vaguely worded letters.

AoD

But, the issue remains of a the need for a dedicated maintenance facility en route, if you can't connect to or repurpose the existing site.

That said the rest is TBD; but what I don't want to hear about is anything elevated or trenched in the Downtown or near downtown segments; there may be room to be more creative further out.

I also confess to loathing the perennial Toronto tradition of sinking 10s of millions of dollars (or more) plus countless hours by staff and the public; and then trashing it all for something new.

I will hold out hope that either A) this is all posturing BS or B) that there is a very real, very credible plan almost everyone can get behind, and its tendered and happening within the next 20 months.

But, the issue remains of a the need for a dedicated maintenance facility en route, if you can't connect to or repurpose the existing site.

That said the rest is TBD; but what I don't want to hear about is anything elevated or trenched in the Downtown or near downtown segments; there may be room to be more creative further out.

I also confess to loathing the perennial Toronto tradition of sinking 10s of millions of dollars (or more) plus countless hours by staff and the public; and then trashing it all for something new.

I will hold out hope that either A) this is all posturing BS or B) that there is a very real, very credible plan almost everyone can get behind, and its tendered and happening within the next 20 months.

True, they will have to pay for that - but that seems like an expense they won't be able to avoid one way or another. At this point, I am content with a wait and see approach - but iff only meanignful information is forthcoming (instead of hagiographic BS).

My main concern is dramatic shifts in alignment that does not serve the core (e.g. using a Don Valley alignment with stations that barely connect to anything)

AoD

[B]Lauren Pelley[/B]‏Verified account @[B]LaurenPelley[/B] 3h3 hours ago
More
Yurek says relief line would “intersect” with current system but probably would not be able to use the same train going on the track. Says province is trying to build a project that’s cost-effective to taxpayers, done faster.
so why would Ford's jaw drop when presented an alternative that does the same except would create an orphan line, orphan trainsets, etc, etc, etc.
See above. And it's the TTC gauge that's the orphan and highly problematic. If Toronto wants to the world to adopt TTC gauge, then Toronto can pay for it. "Newfangled technologies". Damn right! Why we didn't stick with the side valve engine and went for overhead cams and valves just boggles me...Please read the list of nations and cities posted above using "new fangled" technology like Alstom Metropolis or the many competitors. Note how many are in the second and third world, and how they're generations ahead of us. Welcome to Toronto...
If your right on RER, then two things become obvious.
  1. how lacking Toronto planning is;
  2. how uploading rapid transit to the province is the obvious best choice.
Agreed, but '2.' needs some clarification: Indirectly so. It wasn't QP that has come up with this, it's Metrolinx. Which brings me to Neutrino's point which is far more than just sarcasm:
I can't take the phrase "Fantastic bonanza" seriously.
lol...there's a bunch of those phrases being used. How about "bananas" instead of "bonanza"? Less bone, and high in nutrients. I was wondering last night why we're not hearing from any of the Metrolinx crew on this. Ford is the worst salesman for...well...anything! And Yurek is a bumbler. In the absence of someone intimately equipped to discuss minutiae, we're getting endless hype and prevarication. And where is Lindsay?

At this rate, this is going to go wrong politically. It might be the 'best plan in the world' but it's like having the Principle and VP at a school teaching sex-ed and auto-mechanics combined. Release the clutch! More on that later. I watched Ford on a number of interview segments last night, and I'm still washing out my ears and eyes. It was painful.

SmartTrack 2.0 it is...
You'd stated that yesterday as well as here now, and I'd at first glossed over it, until realizing today that what you mean by "SmartTrack 2" isn't explained.

Could you expand on that? I think I'm now getting your drift, that being (in effect) "RER with closer stops within the City".

If we go back 8 years, another Ford agreed to a combined Eglinton Scarborough LRT. We know Ford didn't come up with the idea, but we know it was the best means of serving STC. Metrolinx was behind that, and even completed a Benefit Case to confirm it was a better choice than either the "Transfer LRT" or the subway extension. The reason we got into this whole mess we are in is because Toronto (Council and MPPs at the time) decided it was more important to attack Ford, then to build good transit.
Here we are again. We know Ford didn't come up with this new plan, but it's easy to believe that there is a better plan than the DRL short. Although I don't like how Ford is being coy, it is likely that history will repeat itself and many will choose to attack Ford rather than have good transit.

To wit, we'd have a full "subway" from Mount Dennis to McCowan along Eglinton and the SRT corridor nearing completion by now if not for backstabbers and entitled snobs on City Council obstructing what Ford was trying to accomplish. They just couldn't give him a win.

Perhaps it will be like Line 5 with LRTs in tunnels up to Overlea Blvd, and then in the middle of the street all the way from there up to Don Mills and Steeles.

See above. And it's the TTC gauge that's the orphan and highly problematic. If Toronto wants to the world to adopt TTC gauge, then Toronto can pay for it. "Newfangled technologies". Damn right! Why we didn't stick with the side valve engine and went for overhead cams and valves just boggles me...Please read the list of nations and cities posted above using "new fangled" technology like Alstom Metropolis or the many competitors. Note how many are in the second and third world, and how they're generations ahead of us. Welcome to Toronto...

I don't think Toronto's track gauge is such a problem that it would cost billions to retrofit new subway trains (see the T1) to the track gauge. Just adjust the trucks that the trains ride on. When I speak of newfangled technology I am more specifically referring to other options such as co running with GO RER trains, using hydrogen, etc.

True, they will have to pay for that - but that seems like an expense they won't be able to avoid one way or another. At this point, I am content with a wait and see approach - but if only meaningful information is forthcoming (instead of hagiographic BS).
I'm also putting aside bias against Ford et al, although politically, that endures. And to facilitate doing that, I have to keep reminding myself and others that this isn't a Ford Fandangle...it's a Metrolinx manifestation. And oddly, we're hearing nothing directly from them. Quick thought on that: Are they miffed that this has been blabbed to the public prematurely purely for political points? What's clear to me is that without this initiative (whether technically good or not) nothing was going to happen with the status-quo. The City just doesn't have funding for a City plan. On this and many other things.
My main concern is dramatic shifts in alignment that does not serve the core (e.g. using a Don Valley alignment with stations that barely connect to anything)
I suspect the present work done on alignment and route will be retained, albeit some of the curves might have to be of a greater radius and platforms lengthened. The southern "Don Valley alignment" is valuable not as the prime route, but as an adjunct to it, even as single track, as a by-pass for double-decker 'express' from Don Mills south non-stop to Union in peak to allow a more direct connection to other GO routes. Off peak, RER single deck EMUs off of the northern reaches in Markham would take the Relief Line route to the core, with a transfer at Gerrard or the subway to continue to Union if wanted. The line would still head to Osgoode and then later, west to rejoin extant RER corridors.

I do take issue with the assumption that "all the work the City has done so far will be wasted". It doesn't help that the 'engineers' aren't the talking heads on this. I suspect at least half of the preliminary work can and will be used.

What's only being hinted at so far is the 'private investment' aspect. I suspect it's a lot more than just DBFOM. And if so, the claim that 'this will be built much faster' is correct. It could be built in a decade, and some segments up and running in half that time. The template in Canada? REM. It can be done.

You can't be serious...I give you, as an example...The World. TORONTO is the exception, not the other way around.

NYC DOES NOT run commuter trains on the same tracks as it does it's subways, nor do they go looking for hydrogen or battery powered subway trains for it's system

Back