News   May 07, 2024
 471     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 422     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 908     3 

Waterfront Transit Reset Phase 1 Study

How should Toronto connect the East and West arms of the planned waterfront transit with downtown?

• Expand the existing Union loop

Votes: 200 73.0%
  • Build a Western terminus

Votes: 10 3.6%
  • Route service along Queen's Quay with pedestrian/cycle/bus connection to Union

Votes: 29 10.6%
  • Connect using existing Queen's Quay/Union Loop and via King Street

Votes: 19 6.9%
  • Other

Votes: 16 5.8%

• Total voters
Hey Mom!!, They have replace the streetcars at Union Loop with a ski left to get use down to the ferry docks and the streetcar line on the Queens Quay.

They could replace Queens Quay streetcar lines with something like this :

IMG_0378.JPG

The moving walkway is off the table and you will see the People Mover and the expansion of the existing loop plans at the public open house up coming.

Only some minor changes to the 2 plans from the last open house, with a large scale drawings for the loop and how they will connect to Queens Quay for each proposal.

Cost to do either plan as well Queens Quay E is between $550-$600 million now. No time frame when it will happen, other that it in the 10 year capital budget now. Regardless which plan is used, the QQE tunnel will be built up to the portal first, with all track equipment in place. Once the removal and rebuilt of the existing portal, it will be connected to the new tunnel. This will allow faster access to streetcar service east-west while the loop and tunnel work is taking place. No time frame or length of time the loop will be out of service as it will depend which plan is going forward.

Opposed the people mover plan in 2008, 2017 and today.

TTC has lower the ridership numbers from the past to 4-8,000 per hour due to higher quality service by RER and the DRL to the point I said they are low balling it and will be higher than the plan 12,000.

The people mover will see a train every 60-90 seconds. Have a lot of issues how this will operate, be maintain and being out of service.

Streetcar service is pig a 1 minute headway for both routes that will have 2 minute headway each. Good luck on doing that.

A couple good questions were asked and no one had the answer. Is there going to be knockout panel/connection to CIBC tower 2 and 1 Front St new development?? I think they should plan for it.

Regardless which plan is chosen in the end, time to bit the bullet and build it ASP, since the EA was approved in 2008.

The other issue I have is, where did $40 million out of the $90 million for Transit by Waterfront Toronto go too???

Lots of unknown on cost, time frame, operation as well the report itself.

The best I can take, the report will go to TTC in April/May and then onto council for final approval.

The moving walkway is off the table and you will see the People Mover and the expansion of the existing loop plans at the public open house up coming.

Only some minor changes to the 2 plans from the last open house, with a large scale drawings for the loop and how they will connect to Queens Quay for each proposal.

Cost to do either plan as well Queens Quay E is between $550-$600 million now. No time frame when it will happen, other that it in the 10 year capital budget now. Regardless which plan is used, the QQE tunnel will be built up to the portal first, with all track equipment in place. Once the removal and rebuilt of the existing portal, it will be connected to the new tunnel. This will allow faster access to streetcar service east-west while the loop and tunnel work is taking place. No time frame or length of time the loop will be out of service as it will depend which plan is going forward.

TTC has lower the ridership numbers from the past to 4-8,000 per hour due to higher quality service by RER and the DRL to the point I said they are low balling it and will be higher than the plan 12,000.

The people mover will see a train every 60-90 seconds. Have a lot of issues how this will operate, be maintain and being out of service.

Streetcar service is pig a 1 minute headway for both routes that will have 2 minute headway each. Good luck on doing that.

A couple good questions were asked and no one had the answer. Is there going to be knockout panel/connection to CIBC tower 2 and 1 Front St new development?? I think they should plan for it.

Regardless which plan is chosen in the end, time to bit the bullet and build it ASP, since the EA was approved in 2008.

The other issue I have is, where did $40 million out of the $90 million for Transit by Waterfront Toronto go too???

The best I can take, the report will go to TTC in April/May and then onto council for final approval.

Interesting idea for a People Mover. Likely one of the first in Toronto.

At least we know that certain individuals in this city in the transit planning area have an ounce of common sense left in them. It's about time the delusional moving walkway idea was canned for good.

Now if only if they could go the full mile and get rid of the pathetic people mover idea, and we'll finally be back to where we were 10+ years ago. Here's a perfect example of how this city has to go back in time 10+ years in time with nearly every major transit project just to make any progress whatsoever.

At least we know that certain individuals in this city in the transit planning area have an ounce of common sense left in them. It's about time the delusional moving walkway idea was canned for good.

Now if only if they could go the full mile and get rid of the pathetic people mover idea, and we'll finally be back to where we were 10+ years ago. Here's a perfect example of how this city has to go back in time 10+ years in time with nearly every major transit project just to make any progress whatsoever.

It ain’t dead just because the bureaucrats aren’t recommending it; anything can happen once it hits the floor of Council.

^Knowing what goes on in this city, council will probably just delay the whole thing and send it back to be studied further as they do with 90% of proposals. Sometimes I wonder if they can even make decisions with their own personal lives just based on the amount of times they defer things in their work lives and just how indecisive they are in general.

Maybe this goes back to 2011.
Ford doesn't like transfers (i.e. @ Kennedy).
Thus TTC must have s big a transfer as possible.

Something tells me the streetcar might have constructability issues, working under the rail corridor and all. The people mover may be the only way to get something built.

I don't understand why we always have to go back 10 years each time either.... you're not alone

Something tells me the streetcar might have constructability issues, working under the rail corridor and all. The people mover may be the only way to get something built.
What kind of ;'something' do you sense? The streetcar track already goes below the rail berm and the major issues are expanding the loop at Union to handle more people (something that would presumably be necessary if it is a streetcar, gondola, moving walkway or hyper-loop) and dealing with the T junction at Queens Quay where there are apparently beams etc in difficult places.

One thing this city really needs to start considering is ferries. It was talked about years ago and they just dropped the idea all together; however, it would at least provide a reliable option that wouldnt be crippled by delays for whatever X amount of reasons the other modes suffer from. If we actually had a non-status quo mayor, i'm sure the idea would be considered seriously today.

That or some private individual/company that would be ambitious enough to take the charge and just start providing service irrespective of what the city has to say about it.

One thing this city really needs to start considering is ferries. It was talked about years ago and they just dropped the idea all together; however, it would at least provide a reliable option that wouldnt be crippled by delays for whatever X amount of reasons the other modes suffer from. If we actually had a non-status quo mayor, i'm sure the idea would be considered seriously today.

That or some private individual/company that would be ambitious enough to take the charge and just start providing service irrespective of what the city has to say about it.
go and read the TTC report on ferries from a few years ago. The main point was that they would not actually bring people from where they are to where they want to go. Also not sure why you think ferries would be reliable, think ICE!

Back then, I agree it wouldnt have brought people to where the wanted/needed to go. But with the explosive growth that is due to take place along the waterfront (around Yonge St, the Portlands, and even more growth in Humber Bay), I guarantee you that a ferry would be very popular. Realistically speaking, ridership wouldnt really be significant until most of the development around those areas are close to completion.

During the winter time I concur that they probably wouldnt be very reliable; but on the other hand when is the bus, streetcar, and subway ever reliable in the winter?

Back