Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
From the article, nice to see we can expect more announcements on the Quadreal development up the street in 2019. Also 10.1 mill sq ft is just wild for Toronto, not to mention a still sensible vac rate after all current builds are done.

And a welcome back from 2019

hySE7Ev.jpg

Interesting, still can"t figure out how they lost out to Larco on purchasing the Dominion of Canada building, that was to be their phase 3,
don't see anywhere else nearby where they could build phase 3 unless they built over top the tracks or a Gardiner ramp.....haha

Toronto can’t build office towers fast enough
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/bus...toronto-cant-build-office-towers-fast-enough/

“If we had room for a Phase 3, I think we’d be looking at that very seriously,” says Jonathan Pearce, Ivanhoé's North American executive vice-president for leasing.

Ugh? i think for 275 million it was a bargain, have you looked around and seen what developers are paying for lots around the core these days

I think if we want to carry on this discussion, we should do so in the Dominion thread, but in short, yeah, I haven't seen Larco's pro forma, but I think $275M is a wild price to pay for a site with somewhat limited development potential, a constrained servicing/construction staging arrangement, and what is sure to be an extremely expensive heritage restoration component.

What's more, given the site constraints and looking at the massing that Larco has proposed for the site, I'd be surprised if IC thought it could get approval for a large enough/not weirdly shaped floorplate of the type that major office tenants generally find desirable.

Interesting, still can"t figure out how they lost out to Larco on purchasing the Dominion of Canada building, that was to be their phase 3,
don't see anywhere else nearby where they could build phase 3 unless they built over top the tracks or a Gardiner ramp.....haha

Toronto can’t build office towers fast enough
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/bus...toronto-cant-build-office-towers-fast-enough/

“If we had room for a Phase 3, I think we’d be looking at that very seriously,” says Jonathan Pearce, Ivanhoé's North American executive vice-president for leasing.

Yeah, it's a shame they couldn't do the Phase 3 that was originally planned for the Dominion Building, it would have been pretty nice, despite being shorter. It also looked like they planned a building in the middle over the tracks before it became a park.

urbantoronto-5750-37284.jpeg

Yeah, it's a shame they couldn't do the Phase 3 that was originally planned for the Dominion Building, it would have been pretty nice, despite being shorter. It also looked like they planned a building in the middle over the tracks before it became a park.

urbantoronto-5750-37284.jpeg

I wonder if they'll try to build above the rail corridor for another tower, behind the park.

that would never work structurally. Even the Hudson Yards has placed all its towers around the edges of the rail yard so that their cores can go into ground.

may be 20-25 years from now they will have the technology and engineering to build on the rail yards and then hines and Ivanhoe might think of another tower.
that would never work structurally. Even the Hudson Yards has placed all its towers around the edges of the rail yard so that their cores can go into ground.

may be 20-25 years from now they will have the technology and engineering to build on the rail yards and then hines and Ivanhoe might think of another tower.
It's about the economics of it too. You could do it now technically, but could you do it in such a way that would compete with the building constructed on the vacant plot next door that didn't have to overcome any of those problems?

The only place that sort of thing stacks up is where being in a particular address or locale is extremely desirable for a business, and there is no easy vacant plot next door to undermine you - which is why asides from Manhattan, London or some of the denser Japanese cities for example, that sort of construction almost never happens. Even in those places you have to work pretty hard to make both the engineering and the costs it stack up.

Freezy Friday

Westside Story: not much change to the upper half this week. A lot of forming panels have been removed and have been transported off-site

IMG_1471.jpeg

The lower half of the core has had a new floor installed, and new steel risers are beginning to form the next level

IMG_1472.jpeg

Eastside Story:

General photo of the east side at the same zoom as the two previous photos might help out the 'mad stitcher' do his magic

IMG_1473.jpeg

A closer look shows the new formwork being added along 18 Yonge St building

IMG_1474.jpeg

And finally another look at the north wall that includes a new wall being formed just south of the train crash wall.

IMG_1475.jpeg

Back