Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

I think developer greed has gotten out of control. The only reason they get away with selling such small units is people keep buying them. I think there will be a major backlash not too far down the road because the majority of units being resold are being resold because the owners found the units too small. The rest have been sold to investors who will rent them out and they will simply find new tenants. But clearly these units will not maintain any great degree of value and I fear these buildings will be the beginning of the “ghetto-ing†of downtown.

But clearly these units will not maintain any great degree of value and I fear these buildings will be the beginning of the “ghetto-ing†of downtown.

Ghettoing to some, Manhattanization to others.

Or perhaps people will start buying multiple units adjacent to each other when prices and availability get to that point and just demo the walls separating them...

Though, is that even possible in buildings here? I know it's a very common practice right now in Hong Kong.

^^But Manhattan is no ghetto.

At least to some. Not to others.

Or perhaps people will start buying multiple units adjacent to each other when prices and availability get to that point and just demo the walls separating them...

Though, is that even possible in buildings here? I know it's a very common practice right now in Hong Kong.

This seems like a very expensive proposition! - If you have the cash to take down the walls in your condo, you have the cash to get yourself a decent size unit in the first place.

well in HK and even Manhattan, this happens as land availability has approached zero, and location-location-location becomes a huge factor.. and the only choice you have for a larger unit is to buy a couple smaller ones and demo. How much would it cost to punch a hole through a concrete wall anyway?

and what if you were a millionaire, but horribly afraid of heights and wanted a penthouse-style unit on say, the tenth floor, instead of the 75th? :p

and what if you were a millionaire,...

Then you probably wouldn't be buying a condo at the corner opposite Big Slice. Unless you wanted dime bags of oregano to go along with your fancy shoes.

I still can't get over to craptastic magnitude of the floorplans. While I don't agree that this is a ghetto in the making I do wonder how someone can live so close the Eaton Centre (and, oddly enough, Lakeshore and Bathurst) and not require extra clothing storage.

Ghettoing to some, Manhattanization to others.

I do like the tall buildings - it’s the tiny, tiny apartments that will cause the problem. As more and more of them become rentals, the maintenance will slide big time and the area takes on a very different character. Remember St. James town?

Yeah, why would small units create a ghetto? Not all the units are 500 sq. feet.

Not all but most. They range from 500 to a staggering 931 square feet. Heres another one at 504 feet. You have to admire a designer that has the audacity to call a 9 foot by 9 foot a room a "master bedroom". I hope you dont have a dresser because you wont get it in here.

2291800163_6107b50ab0_m.jpg

I can’t even see how you might have guests over. In fact, where would you even put a table? Notice how they cleverly didn’t show furniture in this one - because furniture doesn’t work in this one.

Back