937     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 646     0 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Estée Lauder sues founder of Toronto-based skin care company Deciem following his sudden closure of business

By HENRY STANCU Business Reporter
Thu., Oct. 11, 2018

Estée Lauder, owner of 28 per cent of Toronto-based Deciem skin care firm, filed a lawsuit against its founder Brandon Truaxe in Toronto Thursday morning, applying to prevent him having further involvement with the company.

In its court filings, the cosmetics giant sought to prevent Truaxe from having contact with the company, its activities and assets, and to have him replaced as Deciem’s head by co-CEO Nicola Kilner.

https://www.thestar.com/business/20...following-his-sudden-closure-of-business.html

Estee Lauder was successful - Brandon Truaxe has been removed as CEO of Deciem on an interim basis.

https://business.financialpost.com/...cessful-intervention-by-investor-estee-lauder

Game Shack in the Atrium on Bay concourse has closed. The store has moved up to Orfus Road. I wonder what Atrium will do with that space?

Game Shack and Gamerama (near Yonge & Eg) are a rare breed in this city. Haven't personally bought a console game in years but definitely good memories of these places.

Ooohh..

Love their stuff. I have family in New Brunswick and always find my self stopping at an LL Bean in New Hampshire on the drive there to make a couple of sales-tax free purchases from them.

BiWay is set to be resurrected in 2019 with new store

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/biway-...7z6rFjlWFg69Tf_cZNUWVhrTFQ2NYsuc47BmRRArq-HlA

Defunct discount chain BiWay is set to make a comeback of sorts in 2019.

BiWay had around 250 shops across the country and operated for more than 30 years before shutting down in 2001.

Retail veteran Mal Coven, 89, who helped build the brand, hopes to resurrect the name with a new 7,500 square feet "BiWay $10 Store" scheduled to open in August in Toronto.

BiWay is a legacy brand,” Coven told CTV News.

“We carried a lot of brands, but never junk. This will be a new concept store with branded, quality goods.”

Coven, who lives in Toronto, hopes the BiWay name will give him a competitive advantage in the new retail landscape.

“One of my rules was that I never bought anything that I would be ashamed to bring home to my family,” Coven said, The new chain concept will see everything in stock sold for $10 or under.

With tens of thousands of dollars worth of goods ready and the backing of investors, Coven aims to open four more stores by the end of 2020.

“We’ve never had preparation like this for any BiWay store,” he told CTV News.

“I’m excited about this. The store will be a success, no question.”

The stores will stock children’s wear, household furnishings, mens and ladies wear, toys, toiletries and food.

Coven, the son of Russian Jewish immigrants, grew up in Boston and his late wife Miriam was from Montreal.

In 1961, he received a lucky break when his brother-in-law Abe Fish invited him to Toronto to become a partner in two stores, which would lead to the creation of BiWay.

West end gourmet doughnut emporium Gloryhole is opening an east end outpost, roughly at Gerrard and Coxwell.

McEwan's Bloor Street location at One Bloor opens next month!

https://www.styledemocracy.com/mcewans-yonge-bloor-january-2019/

Features:

McEwan’s Cafe
Fabbrica Pizza,
carving station and rotisserie (offering prime rib, porchetta, brisket, and more)
sushi bar,
hot and cold table,
salad and sandwich station
dry ageing room.

From the toronto Star

Tokyo Smoke plans to open pot shop in former HMV flagship on Yonge St.

The site of Toronto’s former flagship HMV store, which played host to some of the biggest names in music, could soon serve up a different kind of high.
The sprawling building at 333 Yonge St. where music lovers once went for DVD’s, CD’s and performances from bands such as Green Day, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Guns ‘N’ Roses is earmarked to become one of Toronto’s first cannabis stores.

Tokyo Smoke, which operates cannabis retail stores in Manitoba and coffee shops in Toronto, and is operated by Canopy Growth Corp., is teaming up with a winner of the cannabis retail store lottery to sell pot in the heart of arguably the most storied strip in Canada.
“Tokyo Smoke has come to an agreement with one of the Ontario lottery winners to utilize our brand for their Toronto store,” said Canopy Growth’s communication co-ordinator D’Arcy McDonell in an email. “We are excited that the Tokyo Smoke brand will continue playing a role in Torontonian’s legal cannabis experience.”
He added that “The lottery winner will have full ownership and control over the Toronto store.”
The operator is listed as Colin Campbell on the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario website.

It is not an inappropriate location from a business perspective.

But chalk it up as another reason why I would like to avoid Yonge+Dundas as much as possible.

After almost 60 years Roberts Gallery at Yonge & Isabella is moving. They're going over to Dupont & Christie. It's interesting that the building on Yonge has been sold. Wouldn't mind seeing a condo here that incorporates the heritage building next door at the corner of Yonge & Isabella which is the old House of Lords hair salon. It was also the site of the first Canadian Tire.

From their blog;

We are very excited to finally announce that Roberts Gallery will be moving to its 6th location in our more than 175 year history.

We will be moving our gallery to 631 Dupont Street. This new location is east of Christie, on the south side of Dupont (across from the Loblaws). The new space is actually three buildings we are converting into one. The size will be roughly the same area as the main floor of our current gallery. We are currently doing a major renovation of the new space and hope to be ready for occupancy sometime late this year or early 2020.

Access to the Dupont /Christie area is quite good for TTC users and very good for street parking. We hope to have a space or two for customer parking behind our building.

Our current agreement with the new owners of 641 Yonge (our current location) ends July 31st so we have leased an interim space at 300 Campbell Avenue, Suite 203. This is in the Clock Factory Building near the Junction at Dupont, west of Lansdowne. It will be a smaller space but it will be ideally located for us to check in on the renovation project over those 4 – 6 months.

We will keep you informed of the progress. If you would prefer to move to our email list, please do not hesitate to contact us at 416 924 8731 or info@robertsgallery.net.

We look forward to seeing you in our new gallery.

Paul Wildridge

Last edited:

Back