News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 531     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Kind of an random question, but why is this subway extension called the "Scarborough Subway Extension", when it would make a lot more sense as the "Danforth Subway Extension"?
Rainforest also left out pure politics. Lets not forget this entire issue is supposed to be about how "Scarborough deserves a subway" so you can bet your ass they would plaster the word "Scarborough" all over this project to sell this to the residence. It's all about marketing. This is not a knock on the SSE by the way as we did the same thing with the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension, and the Downtwon Reliefe Line. I wouldn't be surprised if the TYNSE ends up getting renamed the Toronto-Richmond Hill Yonge Subway Extension.

Something like Danforth-McCowan Subway Extension doesn't have the political sex appeal that "Scarborough Subway Extension" does. Only the latter will effectively rile up the local tribalism. Populism 101.

Last edited:
Rainforest also left out pure politics. Lets not forget this entire issue is supposed to be about how "Scarborough deserves a subway" so you can bet your ass they would plaster the word "Scarborough" all over this project to sell this to the residence.

I think adding "Scarborough" is politicizing it to an extent. It would sound far less controversial if it was called the "Bloor-Danforth East Subway Extension". But SSE is just fine for what it is. Tells you where or what area the project is serving. And tells you what is being built. More government should be labelled as well.

This is not a knock on the SSE by the way as we did the same thing with the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension

Not quite. Calling it Toronto-York makes sense because those are literally the two municipalities involved in this project. On the other hand, we didn't call the Sheppard Subway, the "North York Sheppard Subway" because the name of the community was irrelevant.

Wow, the station, signage and even Powerpoint slide design looks exactly like the TTC used recently under Byford.
Hello New to this forum, I am wondering what the vision is for transit in and out of the Scarborough Center. Are they planning enough space for buses, cars and bikes? Is there a plan for special routes or LRT to get to Scarborough Center? Any ideas?

Hello New to this forum, I am wondering what the vision is for transit in and out of the Scarborough Center. Are they planning enough space for buses, cars and bikes? Is there a plan for special routes or LRT to get to Scarborough Center? Any ideas?

Given that it's the STC, there will be plenty of room for cars, and given that there will be a two-level 30+ bay bus terminal, transit is definitely the biggest item for the STC. I'm sure they'll build bike parking there given bylaws. If the Sheppard East LRT/Sheppard Subway east extension is ever built, it will likely intercept with the BD line at the STC.

Some background reading:

https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...s-initiatives/scarborough-centre-on-the-move/

Scarborough Centre Secondary plan report

The City is providing the framework surrounding the Centre but Oxford Properties privately owns much of the land around the mall and similar to the guidelines laid in in the Citys planning they will likely redesign it for density as that have recently applied to around Yorkdale.

Public funds are gong towards the subway connection(s) (w/large bus terminal), and the Scar-Durham BRT on Ellesmere. Not in the que yet but depending how the Sheppard subway is designed Id foresee the EELRT could either end in Malvern as currently planned or loop back down thru the Centre in the future.

Similar to the RT, I don't imagine there will be parking provided (which I think is a short-sighted integration flaw at a main suburban-urban terminus), but cycling and walkability will become vastly improved.

Last edited:
Some background reading:

https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...s-initiatives/scarborough-centre-on-the-move/

Scarborough Centre Secondary plan report

The City is providing the framework surrounding the Centre but Oxford Properties privately owns much of the land around the mall and similar to the guidelines laid in in the Citys planning they will likely redesign it for density as that have recently applied to around Yorkdale.

Public funds are gong towards the subway connection(s) (w/large bus terminal), and the Scar-Durham BRT on Ellesmere. Not in the que yet but depending how the Sheppard subway is designed Id foresee the EELRT could either end in Malvern as currently planned or loop back down thru the Centre in the future.

Similar to the RT, I don't imagine there will be parking provided (which I think is a short-sighted integration flaw at a main suburban-urban terminus), but cycling and walkability will become vastly improved.

What is the Scar-Durham BRT?

What is the Scar-Durham BRT?

*Durham-Scarborough BRT

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/news/announcements/201608_Durham_Bus.aspx

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2018/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-114866.pdf

This line will provide efficient access to the SSE and to the Centre for residents in the East Scarborough/GTA. More importantly it will be a great public transit connection for students coming from Durham and the downtown/west end of TO (once the subway is built) for accessing UTSC efficiently

Last edited:
SSE.jpg

Attachments

• SSE.jpg
    SSE.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 810
Great. I will be happy to get shovels in the ground on this and leave the perpetual debate in the rear view mirror.

We debate the appropriateness of both the Sheppard line and Spadina extensions on a regular basis.

The extension being constructed doesn't change the business case; nor remove future tax subsidies for operations (a pet-peeve to me since the conservatives will demand closing libraries, etc. to fund the extension).

Last edited:
We debate the appropriateness of both the Sheppard line and Spadina extensions on a regular basis.

There's a big difference between what the public debates and what transit nerds debate. The only complaints I ever hear from non-transitfans about Sheppard is the lack of completeness....that it is "a subway to nowhere". And on TYSSE, I've literally never heard a single person in real life make a negative comment about it.

The SSE if built would be just like that. The public will stop debating it the date after service launches and move on. I predict a nice groundswell of support for adding in-fill stations too after launch.

Back