News   May 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 591     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Seeing the utilities hung like that is really weird and cool. These were things once in the ground and now they are hanging in the air.

Reactions: vic
Also interesting is how they would repair/replace those in the future.

Once the roof of the station box is complete (which will still be below these utilities, they start backfilling to the point where the sewers are sitting on new grade. They will either back fill around and move on, or - hopefully - replace the old infrastructure with new and then continue backfilling until the road surface can be installed.

It's standard cut and over practice to do that with buried utilities. They're moved if they can be, suspended in place if they can't. Freezing weather presents a challenge however.

Toronto Transit Commission/City of Toronto EGLINTON CROSSTOWN LIGHT RAIL TRANSIT TRANSIT PROJECT ASSESSMENT Environmental Project Report

http://thecrosstown.ca/sites/defaul...chapter-3-project-description-section-3-6.pdf
upload_2018-8-1_17-49-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-1_17-49-43.png
    upload_2018-8-1_17-49-43.png
    120.9 KB · Views: 519
Last edited:
On today’s edition of Stump Metrolinx Staff, how Eglinton Station is more comparable to St George than Bloor-Yonge. Link

I don’t quite understand the idea of emerge from stairs immediately on the platform. There is a lower concourse between the platforms.
9DA49D98-3ECC-4126-BBB4-74E7CFCF2E76.jpeg

Attachments

• 9DA49D98-3ECC-4126-BBB4-74E7CFCF2E76.jpeg
    9DA49D98-3ECC-4126-BBB4-74E7CFCF2E76.jpeg
    261.1 KB · Views: 797
On today’s edition of Stump Metrolinx Staff, how Eglinton Station is more comparable to St George than Bloor-Yonge. Link

I don’t quite understand the idea of emerge from stairs immediately on the platform. There is a lower concourse between the platforms.
View attachment 151973

You'd previously quoted the vid, the wording of which I've confirmed listening to it a number of times:
"...allows for a direct connection between Line 1 and Line 5, similar to St George Station"..."with the shortest average transfer times between lines of all the interchange stations on the TTC"
This doesn't seem right, how is this line change faster than St George Station? It's just one flight of stairs and you're on the other set of platforms, here you need to go through the lower concourse with 2 sets of stairs.

Your tweet might be ambiguous to the receiver:
I think you had it right as you posted the first time. The vertically separated parallel alignment of the island platforms at St George are the shortest transfer possible other than a 'cross-platform' island one.

I'd query them again!

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-1_19-15-43.png
    upload_2018-8-1_19-15-43.png
    126.2 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:
Crosstown legal update in this article.
I almost quoted some of the preceding text to this, the court will have to rule on that, but this continues to be a deeper question, one that's going to resonate a lot more as DBFOM (and some contracts already signed elsewhere on GO) becomes the norm:
[...]
Asked whether the legal dispute shows the P3 model hasn’t worked, Verster said disputes are inevitable with a project of the Crosstown’s size.

“No matter how clear contracts are, parties to the contract will still have claims,” he said.[...]
Yes and no. They probably will, but shouldn't if the contracts are well structured. For now, Crosstown has been a contract work in progress, some slack has to be allowed since ML is pretty green to this, but the nature of the delays shouldn't have been unexpected.

This issue is going to demand some answers for the contract model used.
Now the project is in jeopardy
Disagree vehemently. The understanding of the Contract(s) will have to be modified, and that may entail an overall delay, but there's no way for this not to be finished.

It's my view that this is the future for most transit in Toronto in terms of corporate structure and gov't contract, and indeed it will be for VIA on a national scale. It's already the norm in Montreal and elsewhere.

The question isn't if this will be finished, it will be, the question is 'how'? And how far will the risk be outsourced?

Last edited:

Back