News   Mar 28, 2024
 51     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 215     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.2K     1 

Jennifer Keesmaat's Toronto

But she still have to demonstrate her ability to deal with some fairly ruthless competitors.

AoD
You've lost me:
shrill
SHril/
adjective
  1. 1.
    (of a voice or sound) high-pitched and piercing.
    "a shrill laugh"
    synonyms: high-pitched, piercing, high, sharp, ear-piercing, ear-splitting, penetrating, screeching, shrieking, screechy
    "that shrill voice gives me a headache"
She'll certainly have to stand her ground, that's goes without saying, but I don't expect a hissy fit. That's the Ford brothers.

A couple of things: I don't know where you get the notion that suburbanites are worried about garbage pick up. We are smart enough to know that if our street is skipped, we just call or tweet 311 and tell them. Also, forgetting to pick up rarely happens.

The issue I think most of us in Scarborough have is adding bike lanes. There isn't the demand for them like there might be in other areas. She will definitely face resistance if she tries to force them on us. I know cyclists on social media have a very loud voice but out here, it's more about cars.

The LRT vs Subway: I would love to see her go back to the 7 stop Scarborough LRT but I can't see DoFo funding it. He's backed off a bit on Sex Ed in schools and on allowing building in the Greenbelt but I think this is the hill he dies on. He is way too in love with subways, subways, subways to let anything stand in his way.

You've lost me:
shrill
SHril/
adjective
  1. 1.
    (of a voice or sound) high-pitched and piercing.
    "a shrill laugh"
    synonyms: high-pitched, piercing, high, sharp, ear-piercing, ear-splitting, penetrating, screeching, shrieking, screechy
    "that shrill voice gives me a headache"
She'll certainly have to stand her ground, that's goes without saying, but I don't expect a hissy fit. That's the Ford brothers.

Politics is also about perception - and women are at a severe disadvantage here in that regard. You don't have to be a shrill to be branded as one - and I am sure that isn't beneath his worship's (or any other competitor's) brain trust.

AoD

Last edited:
I would love to see her go back to the 7 stop Scarborough LRT but I can't see DoFo funding it.
Ah! But there's the opportunity for a crafty tactician. IIRC, it is still 'on the books' as fully funded by the Province, and the SSE isn't, at least not technically.

I think you just might get your wish.

Politics is also about perception - and women is at a severe disadvantage here in that regard. You don't have to be a shrill to be branded as one - and I am sure that isn't beneath his worship's (or any other competitor's) brain trust.

AoD
If that's a factor, then it's outweighed by her demeanour, candour, intellect and poise. It didn't work against Mulroney or Elliot. Elliot actually got more votes than what's his name, the one with "my wife is Jewish".

Fact #40: Doug Ford claims that his evangelical Christian wife and kids are Jewish

If that's a factor, then it's outweighed by her demeanour, candour, intellect and poise. It didn't work against Mulroney or Elliot. Elliot actually got more votes than what's his name, the one with "my wife is Jewish".

Fact #40: Doug Ford claims that his evangelical Christian wife and kids are Jewish

This photo makes me cringe. It's like all of them were forced to be in it. The smile really doesn't reach any of their eyes except for the K girl next to her mom.

Describing an assertive, confident woman as “shrill” doesn’t advance the discussion. Of course, I’ve called Mammoliti batshit, but that’s a scientific observation.

I'm in complete agreement but wanted to add. I don't see how Keesmaat meets any of the definitions of shrill, pejorative or otherwise.

That comment made me go back and listen to her.

She certainly does not have a high-pitched voice which is one definition.

The other is
  1. betraying some strong emotion or attitude in an exaggerated amount, as antagonism or defensiveness
I don't think that's reasonable either, she comes off as professional, mild mannered, with carefully chosen words.

There may be fair critiques of the way she presents, as there may be of any candidate; but shrill doesn't strike me as one.

This photo makes me cringe. It's like all of them were forced to be in it.
I know exactly what you mean, but lacked the words to say it. Yours now allow me to add this: (and this is a broad generalization, but true in many cases). It's so *American*...it's the perfect teeth, as if that's convincing to the Hoi Polloi. Nice teeth, too bad about everything else. "K" girl excepted. I can only vet that pic for so long, it's like something out of Huntley Street. "Trust me...for we shall all come unto Him..."

'm in complete agreement but wanted to add. I don't see how Keesmaat meets any of the definitions of shrill, pejorative or otherwise.

That comment made me go back and listen to her.

She certainly does not have a high-pitched voice which is one definition.
I did too! I thought "waaaht?" She is nasally, but certainly not shrill. I've listened to her presentations online. If anything, it's her positivity that I find off-putting. I tend to relate to cynics as I take it as honesty. That's my failing, not hers.

Describing an assertive, confident woman as “shrill” doesn’t advance the discussion. Of course, I’ve called Mammoliti batshit, but that’s a scientific observation.
She is all those posits things. But put a rookie in the line of fire and it can quickly reduce you to “batshit crazy” or worse.

Back