News   May 31, 2024
 917     6 
News   May 31, 2024
 3.2K     2 
News   May 31, 2024
 1K     0 

Ontario Northland/Northern Ontario Transportation

I have been involved in initiatives and committees where we met with ministers at QP at our request, so there may not have been a summons. And we didn’t always get what we were looking for.

If only everyone got what they asked for from government, that would be a great world. Just saying here that as an agency of the Government of Ontario, this meeting was most likely at the behest of the government as part of transition. Let's hope Vic F is advocating for the right stuff. Fingers crossed.

Just saying that because there was a meeting doesn’t mean there will be an outcome! My concern is that they “restore” the Northlander but they do it half-assed. Then when no one uses it, they can cancel it and blame lack of ridership.

Someone posted to one of the Facebook groups that I belong to that it is coming, but had nothing more than "I heard from someone that the plans ans schedule are in the works". I highly doubt it is coming.
Schedules? To Toronto? I thought they no longer had the equipment, and that not all the the original alignment was still there!

Schedules? To Toronto? I thought they no longer had the equipment, and that not all the the original alignment was still there!

The gaps in the alignment will be filled back in using paper copies of press releases and studies. When there have been enough press releases and studies, the trains will start rolling.

Was there not a promise to do an EA first? That will delay things for a while.

- Paul

The gaps in the alignment will be filled back in using paper copies of press releases and studies
Oh my aching kidneys! lol...

Frankly, I don't see it, especially not a regime that claims to be elected "cut waste, taxes, the deficit and debt and belly-button lint".
Then when no one uses it, they can cancel it and blame lack of ridership
That's got to be the bottom line. And that's what got it cancelled in the first place.
Ontario PC leader Doug Ford said on Wednesday he would bring the train back, in a speech at the Northwestern Ontario Municipal Association conference in Kenora, Ont.

"It is time for real action, not more empty talk," Ford said in a Tweet on Thursday.

"I heard you loud and clear. You want the Northlander, and I will deliver it."

Doug Ford

✔@fordnation

It is time for real action, not more empty talk. I will bring back passenger rail service to the North. I heard you loud and clear. You want the Northlander, and I will deliver it. We're going to respect Northerners and work with Northerners. Relief is on its way. #onpoli #pcpo

8:38 AM - May 3, 2018
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/northlander-train-wynne-ford-1.4646789

He's going to be eating a lot of words. Mind you, he's got lots of room in his baggage compartment for them. He's going to need it.

Last edited:
Just saying that because there was a meeting doesn’t mean there will be an outcome! My concern is that they “restore” the Northlander but they do it half-assed. Then when no one uses it, they can cancel it and blame lack of ridership.

It'll depends what wins out. Finances/cost/cash flow versus symbolism and respect for the north. Maybe they get it up and running this term and cancel it midway through their second.

Yup, when they messed with the schedule and made it completely unattractive to potential and previous customers (I was one).

"Messed with the schedule and made it unattractive"?!? How much more attractive can a schedule with an 8am and 9am departure on a trip taking 10 hours can you get?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I don’t remember the times as it was quite a while ago but I was taking it from the North heading south. When they took away the original train which included a dining car and the overnight option with the sleeper car and replaced it with a less comfortable type of car and at different times, ridership dropped. Other transportation providers introduced more affordable alternatives that provided a more comfortable ride and a better schedule. Myself and many of my friends who were regular users stopped using it. To be fair, the widening of Hwy 11 also hurt ridership as it reduced driving time.

It used to be single lane, then they widened it to 4 lane. Saved me an hour when driving to/from Toronto.

"Messed with the schedule and made it unattractive"?!? How much more attractive can a schedule with an 8am and 9am departure on a trip taking 10 hours can you get?
I bet having Northlander occupying a platform at that time of day wasn’t popular with Metrolinx. Even if it is restarted, isn’t it likely that Metrolinx will want them to shift their departure to after rush hour?

Back