News   Apr 19, 2024
 47     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 521     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     1 

John Street Revitalization

The article didn't specify the source of the funding, whether that amount is sufficient to complete the project, or if Council still has to vote for its approval.

I'd like to know the answers to those questions before I get too excited.

Section 37 Funds are providing $15M. The Entertainment District BIA is also contributing.

What's interesting is that Joe Cressy says that they're leaving the section from King to Adelaide for a phase 2 so that it can be done with the Gehry + Mirvish project. Thats the first real news I've heard on the Gehry towers in years.

which is of course the part that arguably needs to be done the most. If we wait for Mirvish-Gehry, we could be looking at another 5-6 years for it to be done, or more. It's not like the towers are even going up against John Street, the John frontage of the project is just a heritage restoration.

Starting from the premise that I'm very much in favour of this project, I'd still love to see the detailed costing breakdown.

40M is an extraordinary amount for relatively short stretch of road.

I believe this exceeds the Bloor St. budget, even adjusted for inflation.

My concern is that if projects of this type eat up 40M a pop, we won't see too many more.........

which is of course the part that arguably needs to be done the most. If we wait for Mirvish-Gehry, we could be looking at another 5-6 years for it to be done, or more. It's not like the towers are even going up against John Street, the John frontage of the project is just a heritage restoration.

Between the Gehry towers, PJ condos and the Hooters site, there's going to be some significant construction heavy work going on in that stretch. I can see why they'd leave the public realm and finishes to be completed after that work is complete.

This thread started in June 2009. What are the odds this project will be considered complete before June 2029?

Toronto Hydro work begins this month.

Ack! They are talking about a construction timeline of 2018-2023.

That's six construction seasons! That's insane, this is about 1.5 km of road.

There's no way this should drag on that long.

My understanding is that it is going to be done with less - but the stretch between Duncan and King is going to wait for Mirvish-Gehry to be done.

Essentially my timeline understanding is as follows:

2018: Utility relocations north of Queen
2019: reconstruction north of queen, utility relocations south to King St.
2020: reconstruction from Queen to Duncan, utility relocations from King to Front
2021: Construction from King to Front
2022: nothing, waiting for Mirvish-Gehry
2023: completion between Duncan and King.

So to be clear, they expect the Mirvish-Gehry project and the hooters site to both be redeveloped within the next 5 years?

My understanding is that it is going to be done with less - but the stretch between Duncan and King is going to wait for Mirvish-Gehry to be done.

Essentially my timeline understanding is as follows:

2019: reconstruction north of queen, utility relocations south to King St.
2020: reconstruction from Queen to Duncan, utility relocations from King to Front
2023: completion between Duncan and King.
Not sure what you mean by he Duncan references. Duncan is parallel to John…

So…

the stretch between Pearl and King is going to wait for Mirvish-Gehry to be done.

2019: reconstruction north of Queen, utility relocations south to King St.
2020: reconstruction from Queen to Pearl, utility relocations from King to Front
2023: completion between Pearl and King.​

Back