News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

miWay Transit

Dundas Street West is being closed for filming just east of Kipling Avenue on February 14, 15, 16 from 7pm to 6am next day. This is unrelated to the Six Points construction. Almost all eastbound MiWay buses to Islington and TTC 30 Lambton will be detouring.

104 Derry Express will start operating effective April 30, every 16 minutes during AM/PM peak.
http://www.miwayblog.ca/2018/04/new-limited-stop-express-service-starting-april-30-on-derry-road/

104_NAV_Apr30_2018_M-F_Print_ExpressStops-e1523285336353-1021x1024.jpg

I figured out what is bugging me about this map. It's slightly incorrect.
I believe that Torbram Rd is the WB stop and Cattrick is the EB stop, because there is no place for a stop EB at Torbram, and Cattrick is the nearest one, although it's halfway to Airport Rd. It's a little awkward, but can't exactly be helped.
And... the Argentia Rd stop is shown at the wrong spot.

And, that's quite the gap in stops between Mavis and Financial.

I believe that Torbram Rd is the WB stop and Cattrick is the EB stop, because there is no place for a stop EB at Torbram, and Cattrick is the nearest one, although it's halfway to Airport Rd. It's a little awkward, but can't exactly be helped.
No it isn't, the closest EB stop to Torbram is the preceding one at Vanguard. It's a 450 meter walk to Torbram from there compared to 700 meters from Cattrick. To make matters worse there's no sidewalk from either stop to Torbram. However, from the Vanguard stop there is a catwalk to Fir Tree Drive and Lucknow Drive which both have sidewalks and both lead to Torbram without much backtracking at all. Staff really screwed up on that one and I'll be writing to them about it because there's simply no reason for it.

It should be noted that there is no stop at Edwards for Transfers to the 53 Kennedy and the lack of a stop at Derry and Mississauga Road means there is no direct connection to Brampton's 51, the 58 and 60 connect at RBC however.

I strongly suggest people compare the route schedules of the 42 and 104, you can do this by going here http://www4.mississauga.ca/planatrip/ and selecting Route Schedules. You have to select a weekday starting from April 30th. There's an option to only display stops you select to help narrow down the run times. I've added some screenshots which show WB times for the PM rush for the two routes.

In terms of WB run times in the PM, there is a mere two minute savings for the entire journey from end to end versus the 42. I laugh because I was talking to the head of Service Development back in October 2016 and when she told me they were considering express service on Derry my jaw dropped and I assured her it was completely unnecessary on a corridor like Derry because stop spacing is already quite generous and the route travels at a decent clip. This past fall I challenged Transit Planning's Team Leader and her response was that they need to provide more capacity on Derry and that if they added any more buses to the 42 they would just bunch and that's why they need to introduce a new level of route hierarchy (her exact words). Keep in mind the 42 only runs every 10 minutes and if they think they can't manage a service that runs anymore frequent than that then what does that say about their ability to manage service?

Now I don't think MiWay's planning staff are idiots, but the 104 is absolutely idiotic and I think it speaks to the dogmatic approach to service planning that comes from higher up in the organization. It seems they are only interested in adding services that they think they can market better, rather than services that will simply be more useful for everyone.

The 104 chews up a great deal of resources, it requires 8 buses and in the AM rush uses 33 service hours (average block length of 4.125 hours) and in the PM it uses 34.35 service hours (average block length of 4.3 hours). Annually it consumes 16.9 thousand hours, approximately 1/3 of the total hours being added this year. It's slightly offset by the reduction of two buses from each peak period of the 42, resulting in daily savings of 12 hours, 3 thousand annually.

To add insult to injury the 42's frequency drops down from 10 minutes to 12 minutes in the PM rush, while the 104 will run every 17 minutes and the changes come with no off-peak service improvements for the 42, all while adding excess capacity to the shoulder periods of the rush hours.

The original MiWay 5 Plan called for significant off-peak improvements for the 42 come September 2018. The original MiWay 5 plan did not include a Derry Express, but it included improving midday service to every 12 minutes (from 20), evening service to 20 (from 27), Saturday service to 20 (from 27) and Sunday service to 30 (from 36). It would appear that these off-peak improvements have been shelved.

So what could MiWay have done with the amount of hours being added for the 104? Well we could have added 4 buses during the peak periods to the 42 to get 8 minute peak service (from 10), at a cost of 3 hours per additional bus per additional period, that brings us up to 24 daily hours. By adding two buses to the midday period we could get 15 minute midday service (from 20) at a cost of 12 hours. By adding an additional bus to the evening we could get service to every 20 minutes at a cost of 5 hours. So to improve the 42's weekday service at all times, it only would have costed us 41 daily hours (Vs 104's 67.35) and thus leaving more than enough hours to bring the 42's weekend service levels with those envisioned by the original MiWay 5 Plan.

The 104 Derry Express truly is the Scarborough Subway of transit planning in Mississauga, only problem is no one is paying attention in Mississauga and how the 104 came to be in the first place is completely unclear.

Attachments

• 42WBRunTime.png
    42WBRunTime.png
    199.9 KB · Views: 466
  • 104WBRunTimes.png
    104WBRunTimes.png
    204.6 KB · Views: 479
  • 42DerryPlannedFrequency.png
    42DerryPlannedFrequency.png
    55.2 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
A Derry Road LRT could provide a continuous link between the Finch West LRT in the east and a LRT/BRT system in Milton to the west

Celebrating the Power of Public Works

May 15, 2018

Join us for National Public Works Week at Family Fun Day on May 26
We can often take our roads, traffic and street lights for granted. For one day each year you have the chance to learn what it takes to keep City services operating smoothly. On May 26, come to Mississauga Celebration Square to celebrate National Public Works Week – Family Fun Day.

Members of the Road Safety Committee will be onsite to kick off their Please Slow Down campaign. Drop by, get your free lawn sign and support safe driving in your neighbourhood.

Family Fun Day

Where:

Mississauga Celebration Square
300 City Centre Dr.
[MAP]

When: Saturday, May 26, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Details:
• Get up close and personal with a snow plow or front end loader
• Ramp up your creative juices at the ArtWorkX exhibit that merges art with infrastructure
• Gear up in public works safety wear, have your photo taken and tweet it out with hashtag #NPWW
• Hop on a MiWay bus and take a guided tour of the Mississauga Transitway or have a look at how we monitor the city’s traffic network
• Road Safety Committee – Please Slow Down campaign launch at 1 p.m.
• Be amazed by a Mississauga Fire and Emergency Services rescue at 1:30 p.m.
• Savour a barbecued burger to support Engineers Without Borders
• Enjoy a free bag of popcorn
• Kids can bounce in a castle and play soccer, baseball or basketball in a sports dome

School Tours
In addition to Family Fun Day, local schools will visit and learn more about public works with tours of the Mavis Works Yard on May 24.

Leave your car at home and take MiWay to Family Fun Day at Mississauga Celebration Square by visiting Trip Planner.

For more information visit mississauga.ca/roads.

Why is there still no GPS tracking of Mississauga Transit buses? I've got TTC tracking on the Transit App, and Transit Now. But here in Mississauga there's nothing but a number of the stop post that you have to call to get the scheduled arrival - no texting even.

And the damn sign on the post instructs to you call 905-614-4BUS.

MiWay_BusStopSignage_Image_145x175.png

But what is 4BUS? I think to myself, surely they don't think people have alpha numeric keypads - so I tried texting ...4BUS. But nothing. No, I think they actually want me to figure out what number corresponds to 4BUS, and then phone, not text that number, to listen to a scheduled stop. JMFC!

On the TTC, I open up Transit Now, and can zoom into my stop and see where the bus is in real time. Come on Mississauga Transit.

Why is there still no GPS tracking of Mississauga Transit buses? I've got TTC tracking on the Transit App, and Transit Now. But here in Mississauga there's nothing but a number of the stop post that you have to call to get the scheduled arrival - no texting even.

But what is 4BUS? I think to myself, surely they don't think people have alpha numeric keypads - so I tried texting ...4BUS. But nothing. No, I think they actually want me to figure out what number corresponds to 4BUS, and then phone, not text that number, to listen to a scheduled stop. JMFC!

On the TTC, I open up Transit Now, and can zoom into my stop and see where the bus is in real time. Come on Mississauga Transit.
I have two phones....an android and an apple.....both have alphanumeric keypads........is it really that uncommon?

There is GPS tracking of Mississauga vehicles - TransSee for one gives you the ability to do so. I suspect that there are others as well.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back