News   May 08, 2024
 431     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 747     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.7K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Even the Georgetown Corridor had plenty of jointed rail between Bramalea and Parkdale before work started on the GTS/UPX project.
Am I the only one who remembers jointed rail on the Kingston sub?

Used to be able to tell from my homework in high school, when I'd transitioned from jointed to welded, just from the change in the legibility of the text.

Heck, it's been barely a decade since major streetcar lines stopped being jointed.

No way of saying for sure if the announcement is narrowly about UPX, so cross-posting to this thread (and UPX)

https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2018/02/minister-of-transportation-to-make-an-announcement-43.html
Probably she's just there to thank media, for finding the location, which is a long, long way from from 61 Front Street West - which is the address of the EAST wing of Union Station. Might be closer to Torstar building than the UP platform.

Poor generation Z media will be hiking for miles from where their uber leaves them.

151 Front Street West would be closer. But gosh, why not give them something that Google's well. Like 7 Station Street.

A Wi-Fi announcement? Really?

https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2018/02/wi-fi-coming-to-go-transit.html

"Ontario is introducing Wi-Fi on GO trains and buses, and launching an improved GO Transit website and trip planner, making it easier and more convenient for commuters and families to use GO Transit.

As a first step towards introducing Wi-Fi service on all GO Transit vehicles, Metrolinx will test the service on two GO trains and four GO buses to examine service quality and collect feedback from transit users. Free Wi-Fi is already available at the majority of GO stations and bus terminals across the system.

This March, Metrolinx will also launch a new, easy-to-use GO Transit website. The website will provide a better customer experience through new features including an improved trip planner, updated fare calculator, and enhanced service and station information to help people plan their trips."

A Wi-Fi announcement? Really?

https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2018/02/wi-fi-coming-to-go-transit.html

"Ontario is introducing Wi-Fi on GO trains and buses, and launching an improved GO Transit website and trip planner, making it easier and more convenient for commuters and families to use GO Transit.

As a first step towards introducing Wi-Fi service on all GO Transit vehicles, Metrolinx will test the service on two GO trains and four GO buses to examine service quality and collect feedback from transit users. Free Wi-Fi is already available at the majority of GO stations and bus terminals across the system.

This March, Metrolinx will also launch a new, easy-to-use GO Transit website. The website will provide a better customer experience through new features including an improved trip planner, updated fare calculator, and enhanced service and station information to help people plan their trips."

Del Duca would be proud.

I think that's worthy of a presser, FWIW.

They were already installing WiFi capable infrastructure on trains because of the electronic mew-station arrival signs. So the cost of activating WiFi is relatively low on those upgraded coaches.

My data plan will thank me - I keep going over on my 12GB LTE.

GO WiFi will probably be slower serving 2000 commuters on my train, but I hope they use really good nifty multi-homed system that uses both Rogers, Bell AND Freedom simultaenously as backhauls, with a satellite failover for rural parts of Barrie and Kitchener line,

News Release

Wi-Fi Coming to GO Transit
February 21, 2018

Province Improving Customer Service and Convenience This Spring
Ontario is introducing Wi-Fi on GO trains and buses, and launching an improved GO Transit website and trip planner, making it easier and more convenient for commuters and families to use GO Transit.

This March, Metrolinx will also launch a new, easy-to-use GO Transit website. The website will provide a better customer experience through new features including an improved trip planner, updated fare calculator, and enhanced service and station information to help people plan their trips.

These improvements will make using public transit easier and more convenient for commuters and families. Increasing public transit ridership also plays an important role in reducing greenhouse gas emissions and managing congestion on Ontario roads.

Making public transit more convenient is part of Ontario's plan to create fairness and opportunity during this period of rapid economic change. The plan includes a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, easier access to affordable child care, and free prescription drugs for everyone under 25 through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation.

QUICK FACTS
  • Signage will be used to identify which vehicles offer the Wi-Fi service.
  • Ontario is investing $21.3 billion to transform GO Transit from a commuter transit service to a regional rapid transit system. Weekly trips across the entire GO rail network will grow from about 1,500 when the program began in 2015 to nearly 6,000 by 2024-25, with more all-day service across the system.

Two announcements for the price of one, both on improvements to service. Unlike the former announcements to announce that they are planning to announce an announcement.

It would have to be a profit venture, not something as a customer service iniative. If Tims thinks they could make a profit doing it and they were willing to pay for it, why not?

It would have to be a profit venture, not something as a customer service iniative. If Tims thinks they could make a profit doing it and they were willing to pay for it, why not?
  • It's space and tractive effort taken away from seating and hauling passengers.
  • Long line-ups/excessive movement impacting flow on/off/within the train.
  • Why can't we leave the burden to passengers to get their coffee before/after the train ride?
Let's keep the GO simple people.

Too bad he never got around to announcing Tim Hortons on GO trains.

He would have made a separate announcement for each train and each bus. The new Minister is consolidating 100+ press junkets into one. What is she thinking???? :D

Back