A1.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 956
  • A2.jpg
    A2.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 972
  • A3.jpg
    A3.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 962
Some good news on the window film front... The film on the Yonge Street frontage of Canadian Tire at Davenport has been removed and is not being replaced. The facade is also getting an upgrade to respond a little better to the street.

Some of the worst perpetrators of window film are doctors offices and walk-in-clinics. What is it with crappy stock photo window film and medical buildings?

The spaces (in this case, dentist's offices) are designed on the assumption that they can block all the windows. It's infuriating.

In a similar manner, I note that the Ten Spot nail chain appears to have covered the windows of all of its locations with window film.

Retailers are increasingly treating the windows as billboards, with negative impacts on the pedestrian experience and the streetscape.

I am not sure how window film escaped the signage by-laws.

AoD

It didn't.

The by-law regulates "window signs", which are defined as "a sign erected, painted, attached, etched, inscribed, or projected onto the inside or outside of any part of a window in a wall, a sign located within or in place of the glass of a window, or any other sign erected or displayed in a manner so as to be visible through the window from the exterior of the building but does not include a sign that forms part of a window display." (There are also controls on electronic window signs.)

Outside of residential areas, "first party" window signs (i.e. signs directing attention to goods and services available on the premises) are automatically allowed, as long as the signs do not take up more than 25% of the window area (excluding the frame), among other controls. Most window film signs blatantly exceed this 25% limit.

The terms "signs" and "sign copy" are both very broadly defined, so just about all kinds of graphics (even the Shoppers Drug Mart stock images of happy people) would appear to constitute signs.

Yet enforcement, or even concern, seems to be lacking.

@Skeezix Exactly - I have read the bylaw and it is pretty clear that window film as applied right now would be in violation in many of the instances. Another case of why bother having laws if you don't intent to enforce them.

AoD

Back