Toronto Lower Simcoe Ramp | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

Earlier tonight...

Pretty short ramp indeed, moreso with the traffic light around the bend. If in a 400-series mindset and speeding, could be overshot by novice drivers I think.

So does anyone have a solid reason why there's been no plan to outfit the entire Gardiner with de-icing mechanisms? With the major overhaul I think it could've and should've been planned. Not exactly much space to plow snow to, and being an elevated structure obviously ices worse than surface highways.

Pretty short ramp indeed, moreso with the traffic light around the bend. If in a 400-series mindset and speeding, could be overshot by novice drivers I think.

So does anyone have a solid reason why there's been no plan to outfit the entire Gardiner with de-icing mechanisms? With the major overhaul I think it could've and should've been planned. Not exactly much space to plow snow to, and being an elevated structure obviously ices worse than surface highways.

These systems are expensive and they require maintenance. Naturally, if they were more cost effective/reliable than snowplows, they would be in widespread use.

These systems are expensive and they require maintenance. Naturally, if they were more cost effective/reliable than snowplows, they would be in widespread use.

Fair enough. A couple salters spraying beet juice should solve the problem. Still though, it's getting a pretty serious overhaul meant to last awhile. And it's not exactly a typical highway. Watching the video @TransitBart posted, with snow on the highway, I'm reminded about how much I'd genuinely like to see a situation where a highway has zero snow on it. It's 2018, surely there's something that can reliably offer this. This one should be easy to make it happen.

I drove it yesterday. It's nice. Wide and smooth. Not excessively steep. Those hoping an exit called SIMCOE will mean they can drive north up Simcoe, however, will be sadly mistaken.

495BD5B9-9096-4E6E-B9C6-BA1FEC396133.png

What is this about? The Spadina ramp is not closed and has never been closed.
Let’s all report this as in error.

Attachments

• 495BD5B9-9096-4E6E-B9C6-BA1FEC396133.png
    495BD5B9-9096-4E6E-B9C6-BA1FEC396133.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 490
It's an error. They closed the ramp for a few hours on sunday to stop allowing cars to travel straight on lake shore from the ramp, and google maps didn't quite figure out that it was for a few hours, not a few months.

Not really - it just tells you that no one read signs - which I think is a requirement for passing driving exams the last time I checked.

AoD
You mean the driving exam they make you take once when you're like...17? Doesn't seem to hold up for most people I'm afraid.

Not really - it just tells you that no one read signs - which I think is a requirement for passing driving exams the last time I checked.

AoD

Even TTC riders don't read signs. The bus could pull up and say "to Kennedy Station" and the passenger would still ask the driver if the bus is going to that station. (lol)

Even TTC riders don't read signs. The bus could pull up and say "to Kennedy Station" and the passenger would still ask the driver if the bus is going to that station. (lol)

How about all of the times I'm riding southbound on Spadina and the streetcar says "To Spadina Station" when southbound cars can only be heading to King St, Queen's Quay, or Union station?

Lots of TTC operators are extremely negligent in setting their destination signs correctly.

Back