Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

^they kicked out Air Canada?

Air Canada had abandoned service.........but wanted back into the new revitalized and expanded terminal.

Air Canada's schedule from YTZ is limited to hourly service to Montreal and back....no other destinations. If you are an AC customer, it is a good deal because they seldom (ever?) fill their planes there and have to offer similar pricing and services (ie. you can get free beer or glass of wine) as Porter for competitive reasons.

They kicked out Air Canada?

Air Canada had abandoned service.........but wanted back into the new revitalized and expanded terminal.

Nope. The owners of the old terminal (i.e. the holding company soon to become Porter Airlines) evicted Air Canada to make room for Porter.

I've always wondered if the AC customers get to eat the Porter snacks in the waiting area?

It's pretty hard to make a separate lounge area there; however, in Ottawa, there is a separate Porter lounge, so no sharing the cookies there!

It's pretty hard to make a separate lounge area there; however, in Ottawa, there is a separate Porter lounge, so no sharing the cookies there!
At the other end of the trip (eg Ottawa/Montreal) the frequent AC customers are in the Maple Leaf lounge anyway enjoying cookies and more ;).....that is not possible at YTZ.

So, AC only flies to Montréal from here? ....that's a bit bunk, but explains the limited options I've been presented with when trying to book flights online.
Didn't help competition much the last time I landed at YUL from Frankfurt and wanted a flight home. Exact same price from both these bastard airlines. 430$(!)

There was a capacity allocation to Continental at one point but that was around the time of the United merger and was not taken up.

The narrative that Air Canada was kicked out of YTZ is frequently offered by airport opponents and by Air Canada. Before Porter, AC charged $400-600 to fly to Montreal from YTZ on a slow Dash 8, and nowhere else. They had a monopoly and served the business community - at least those who could justify the expense. Porter came along and AC threatened jet service which David Miller seized on to inflame opponents, while Westjet said people didn't like propeller planes - now of course they fly Q400s too, albeit not from YTZ. At the same time northern Ontario communities were receiving the same "service" from AC and are now able to fly on better and cheaper service because Porter decided to challenge AC on them.

While Deluce has pulled several fast ones, that the Toronto traveller has benefited from AC "being kicked out" is my belief.

I am wondering does only Porter Airlines operate in Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport? I checked out the departures and I only did see Porter Airlines. I wonder why only Porter Airlines operate in Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport?
There are at least two other commercial passenger services operating out of YTZ

https://www.flygta.com/flights/
https://www.pascan.com/en/flights/tickets/

I wonder why neither of the above are included on the Billy Bishop website? They both offer scheduled, pre-booked service, as opposed to (solely) private charters.

FlyGTA! Forgot about them. I'm going to Niagara Falls in a couple of weeks, maybe I'll fly there. 12 minute flight, apparently. 99$. Beats the transfer to bus in Burlington with GO.

Check out pascan. They fly to Îles-de-la-Madeleine. If only that was a direct flight from YTZ. Sigh....reminds me of the dream of flights to Vancouver on the new Bombardiers. Dream on, little buddy, dream on.

Back