News   May 02, 2024
 484     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 296     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 259     0 

Toronto Bike Share

Details? I've been looking for one.

There's a company in Burlington that imports them called Urkai ( https://www.urkai.com/ ). I got their cheapest proper Dutch model ( Eendracht Dutch Commuter 3 speed ). The weatherproofing and drivetrain seemed to be more authentically Dutch (vs. a Linus or Simcoe) and would stand up to being left outside and used year round. It was about $1000.

Last edited:
My wife's Linus Dutchie has the same Shinano Nexus gear set, except her's is 8 speed, with a top ratio that allows her to go much faster. I'm thinking of buying one of these with expanding drum brakes, just like on my old 1960s motorcycle.

http://simcoebicycles.com/bike/roadster-signature#.Wir8_VWnHIU

That looks great - I really like the Simcoe models plus it's a Canadian company.

I chose the Urkai Dutchie because of the fully enclosed drivetrain (chain case), and the frame/metal bits are apparently rustproofed very well (we'll see, I ride year round and leave the bike outside). It looks like the Simcoe has the same or similar roller brakes, I like the Simcoe rear carrier, and those Schwalbe tires are fantastic.

I will say that the gear ratios on my 3 speed are fine, with the top gear being "too tall" on flat ground with a headwind.

Last edited:
I chose the Urkai Dutchie because of the fully enclosed drivetrain (chain case),
I do wish more bikes were available with fully enclosed chain case. It's difficult with a derailer system, but with enclosed hub and fixed geometry chains an enclosed case shouldn't be difficult or costly. I suppose there are DIY options https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-...fully-enclosed-chaincase-recommendations.html

I'd like my next vintage motorcycle to have an closed chain case, or shaft drive. Back to bikes, the IKEA bike has a rubber belt drive, so no need for the enclosed chain case, as no rust or oil splatter. Maybe I should buy one of those?

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/30326728/

I have not seen winter usage stats, but I assume like with private cycle usage, Bikeshare usage drops significantly when it's icy and snowy. But how many icy or snowy days is urban Toronto likely to see? I'd think we're likely to have about 30-40 days a year with significant snow.
I actually switch from my using own bike to using Bike Share exclusively at this time of year since the salt on the roads would ruin my bike, and I don't have to worry about that with Bike Share.

I do wish more bikes were available with fully enclosed chain case. It's difficult with a derailer system, but with enclosed hub and fixed geometry chains an enclosed case shouldn't be difficult or costly. I suppose there are DIY options https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-...fully-enclosed-chaincase-recommendations.html

I'd like my next vintage motorcycle to have an closed chain case, or shaft drive. Back to bikes, the IKEA bike has a rubber belt drive, so no need for the enclosed chain case, as no rust or oil splatter. Maybe I should buy one of those?

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/30326728/

I've heard bad things about it with respect to its gearing system. I think it's automatic but only has two gears, and they're fairly low, so it's really only good for going slow, it gets very frustrating to try to speed up. I feel like I remember you complaining about the bikeshare bikes not having a slightly higher top gear so that may not be a good idea for you.

It's a shame, it seems like such a winner of a bike in every way except the gears.

As it stands, Bixi (or the latest TO iteration of it) has little to nothing to offer me for cycling in snowy, icy weather.
I actually switch from my using own bike to using Bike Share exclusively at this time of year since the salt on the roads would ruin my bike, and I don't have to worry about that with Bike Share.
I had a great ride on Bixi this morning from Riverdale Farm to Union Station. I get a child-like thrill by splashing though the slush and staying dry and upright due to deep fenders and fat tires, whilst passing gridlock traffic on Richmond.

It seems like a great way to move through the ice and snow and get to the destination quickly. I don't see the downside of Bixi for the winter ice and snow. But then again I'm not some mad max cyclist; I'm more the steady tortoise than the hare. I dismount to cross when I'm at a pedestrian crossing, I stop (not slow) at all stop signs, red lights (even when turning right) and especially open streetcar doors. I don't need an agile or fast bike for my commute.

The convenience of dropping the bike at Union is great.

Last edited:
I had a great ride on Bixi this morning from Riverdale Farm to Union Station. I get a child-like thrill by splashing though the slush and staying dry and upright due to deep fenders and fat tires, whilst passing gridlock traffic on Richmond. I don't see the downside of Bixi for the winter ice and snow. It's certainly a better ride than my mountain bike, and the convenience of dropping the bike at Union is great.

I actually wish the rear fenders were a bit longer or had mudflaps. Last time I rode in slushy weather I was happy that the backpack I was wearing took the brunt of the slop on my back. But yeah, otherwise an excellent winter bike.

I'm beginning to notice more of my Bikeshare bikes are worn out or damaged. Bells that stick are common, also loose head stocks, lights that stop immediately when bike stops (failed capacitor?), and increasingly bald tires.

I haven't seen a bike bad enough yet to press the "fix bike" button on the station.

The bells are my biggest problem. I like the circular ringer instead of the flicking knob, but the former is prone to breaking in a manner that it doesn't make a clear loud ring to warn people; it just makes a dull quiet muffled clink.

reviewed the August expansion map... https://bikesharetoronto.com/news/bike-share-toronto-august-2017-expansion/

They never ended up putting a bike station at the west end of union station at Front and York/University... really disappointed about that. It would really help commuters coming to union from the northwest

I've been working on a map of the Bikeshare system, and there's a few stations they ended up not putting in from the August expansion:
  • Richmond/Peter
  • Portland/Adelaide
  • River/Shuter
  • Bloor E/Park
  • Bloor W/Delaware
  • Dundas W/Dufferin
I report that with full knowledge that annaounced expansions are always 'subject to change.' But they are unfortunate.

My experience on Saturday. No reply yet.

Attachments

• bike1.JPG
    bike1.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 280
  • bike2.JPG
    bike2.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 266
Rode home from Union to Riverdale Farm at 6:30pm today. Cold for sure, but manageable for this ex-New Brunswicker. The fat tires and heavy weight were ideal for keeping me upright. The poor chap in front of me looked to be riding a speed bike with very thin wheels, where he almost fell.

Rode home from Union to Riverdale Farm at 6:30pm today. Cold for sure, but manageable for this ex-New Brunswicker. The fat tires and heavy weight were ideal for keeping me upright. The poor chap in front of me looked to be riding a speed bike with very thin wheels, where he almost fell.
Credit to you, but don't think there's an advantage to fatter tires and greater weight for successful and safer riding in the snow. This is something I quickly learned years back when I thought cycling through the winter was a good thing. There's a lot to winter cycling that's counter-intuitive.

I've purposefully chosen Dandyhorse, as it's local, but this issue has been discussed extensively for years on the internet and in bike shops:
Fat vs. skinny: Picking the right winter tire
Posted on February 14, 2015 by Jeff Carson

A round-up of the best winter bike tires

Story by Jeff Carson

Overcoming the cold is one of the main challenges cyclists face in winter, but that mental fortitude can be all for naught if you can't stay upright on your bike.

The first line of defense against the snow and the slush and the ice is a good set of winter tires. But which tread is best? Studs or no studs? Fat or skinny? We talked to the fine folks at three of our favorite bike shops to get the goods on good winter tires.

Jill Allen of Sweet Pete’s

dandyhorse: What tires do you recommend for winter riding?

A: Tires can be a very personal preference. That said, good rubber in the winter is worth every penny. We carry a variety of brands that can serve the variety of cyclists that ride all year. Some riders feel more confident riding studded tires all winter long. Others like the benefits of a very puncture-resistant, sticky rubber tire. We tend to recommend the following as a good cross section of tires:

For studded tire enthusiasts you can get either the Schwalbe Marathon Winter (4 rows of studs) or the Schwalbe Winter Tires (2 rows of studs). You can get these tires in 26" or 700c in a variety of widths. Great for a commuter.

For a slicker, sticky rubber, puncture-resistant tire we recommend Continental Gator Skins in folding or wire bead, or, the Bontrager AW1 tires. Both come in a wire bead, helping to keep the cost down. They also come narrow enough to run on a road bike. The greatest thing about either of these tire options is that you can run them all year. They are smooth enough and relatively light compared to other winter-worthy tire options to keep on your summer ride.

One of our most durable winter tires of all time is the Schwalbe Marathon or Marathon Plus. These are tried-and-true tires, ideal for winter. They offer incredible durability and grip, with just enough tread. Or go with a classic winter tire, Schwalbe's Top Contact Winter.

Lastly, if you want a folding tire, thin, lightweight and grippy tire, The Continental Grand Prix 4 Season is a good way to go.

Do you prefer fat or skinny tires for winter riding?

Having tried both, I prefer skinny tires for winter riding. Wide tires tend to gather snow in their treads, which inevitably end up becoming slick, hard rocks as a result. The skinny tire will cut through the snow far better than its wider companion. By cutting through the snow faster, the tire will be able to grip the ground below sooner. I'm personally riding Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires sized at 700 x 25. Only on a select few days did I wish I had studs on my tires.

Martin Neale of Hoopdriver

A: On city streets, conditions vary so drastically over short periods of time (due to snowfall, plowing, temperature changes, etc.) and from street to street, that there isn’t one that’s ideal. It’s also dependent on the rider’s comfort and experience level. In general, I recommend the widest tire that will fit (allowing for some snow build up under fenders), at the lowest recommended pressure (increasing the size of the contact patch), and a tread pattern with a bit of bite for loose conditions. I don’t recommend studs for most people, but there are winter specific rubber compounds and treads, such as the Continental Contact Winter, available in 4 sizes. We stock 37-622 at $72 each and can order the others.

If you do want to try studs, which are expensive, consider just one on the front for positive steering: saves money and you can mount it on a separate wheel for easy weather-dependent swaps. Unlike regular tires, they should be run at higher pressure to push the studs out in icy conditions and softer otherwise so the studs depress a bit and wear less.

Fat or skinny? Neither for city riding. Depending on the bike, I use tires between 28mm and about 37mm for urban riding year round. I’ve been winter riding for at least 25 years and don’t use winter specific tires, but I do let the pressure down to minimum if conditions are slippery (increasing the size of the contact patch). There’s also no shame in taking the occasional day off the bike!

Kathleen Banville of Urbane Cyclist Co-op

Honestly, it depends on the bike and the rider. Some bikes will only accommodate a skinny tire and mountain bikes require fat tires. The two main qualities I recommend is a light tread that will shed water and provide grip over uneven surfaces, and a high-quality rubber compound designed for wet/cold conditions. If someone has a road bike and can only run 700x23 [tires], then I would recommend the Continental grand prix 4 seasons, because they have a black chili compound which grips better in all weather. If they can take a 700x37, Continental makes a winter specific version of the Contact tire that comes in that size as well as 26".

I use Continental Contacts in 700x28 for my rainy day/winter bike because I can't fit a wider tire and I find the grip and tread great, even over ice. I run the tread on my front tire backwards for extra traction.

Related on the dandyBLOG:

Don't call it a spin class: Indoor cycling at Sweet Pete's

Cyclists bundle up for the Coldest Day of the Year Ride

Review of Frostbike: New book about winter cycling from Calgary

http://dandyhorsemagazine.com/blog/2015/02/14/fat-vs-skinny-picking-the-right-winter-tire/

Consider this: What would you rather have to skate on snow covered ice? Skinny blades or a toboggan?

Last edited:
So... a few days back, someone commented that now that the slush and salt had arrived he had put his good bike away for the season and he used Bikeshare. Does anyone know what the lifetime of a Bikeshare bike is? I am (apparently) quite protective of my bike. It's rarely if ever been wet and not out in the winter for certain. How long does a bike left out in the elements and used in all seasons last?

How long does a bike left out in the elements and used in all seasons last?
One. If that. There are all sorts of claims otherwise. Discussing this just a few hours ago with my regular distance cyclist partner and unrelated others. All very serious cyclists.

When asked "Are you still riding now that the salt and snow is down?"...all proffered versions of "Are you crazy? Of course not." I leave it at that on that line of rationale. Number one reason is accidents.

The Bixis, for the massive 42 freakin pounds they weigh, are *Aluminum*! Their website boasts as to how (gist) "it means they don't rust". LOL...of course not...it *corrodes*....and faster than steel rusts. And more insidiously, as anyone with a modicum of mechanics will attest to.

They claim to keep them in tip-top shape. Whatever....At $4000 bucks a shot, and not their money, it matters little.

As much as couriers are at least part crazy, they know what kind of machines to ride this time of year, and how to take care of them as best possible. None of them ride anything close to a Bike Share type.

I wonder why....?

Back