Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Units start at $750,000....for 591 sq ft. Floor premiums are $5,000?

What sort of market is that trying to target? The rent on that would be at least $3,000 to allow the owner to break even on the purchase.

Just a guess but probably going after the money laundering specuvestor crowd who doesn’t mind purchasing from a no name developer who ripped down a heritage building in the middle of the night.

By the way this isn’t Yorkville, it’s Yonge and Bloor. Big difference.

Just a guess but probably going after the money laundering specuvestor crowd who doesn’t mind purchasing from a no name developer who ripped down a heritage building in the middle of the night.

broken-record.jpg

You really can't help yourself, can you?

Yorkville was once a row of single family houses. Things change. The area is growing and spreading in all directions. Including here.

It isn't a big difference. It's Bloor-Yorkville. Drop it.

Nice to know, so it really does have a bit of HK HSBC pedigree to it then.

AoD

One of the nice things about Foster is that his designs age exceedingly well. I was recently in Hong Kong and marvelled at how futuristic the HSBC tower still feels, at least from the outside and in the publicly-accessible ground floor zone. If you didn’t know, you could believe it was built yesterday, rather than the early 1980s. Same goes for the airport. It could use some new carpets, but apart from that it remains incredibly fresh.

One of the nice things about Foster is that his designs age exceedingly well. I was recently in Hong Kong and marvelled at how futuristic the HSBC tower still feels, at least from the outside and in the publicly-accessible ground floor zone. If you didn’t know, you could believe it was built yesterday, rather than the early 1980s. Same goes for the airport. It could use some new carpets, but apart from that it remains incredibly fresh.

HSBC was supposed to be even more spectacular - the street level plaza was originally desighed to have glass flooring with lighting underneath. Foster ran out of time and budget to work that out.

AoD

HSBC was supposed to be even more spectacular - the street level plaza was originally desighed to have glass flooring with lighting underneath. Foster ran out of time and budget to work that out.

AoD

Perhaps for the better. Glass flooring + underfloor lighting is easily damaged.

Here’s a documentary I came across capturing Sam Mizrahi’s visits to Foster + Partners in London. I highly recommend viewing it (it’s short). I screencapped a few images from the documentary that show detailed close-ups of a scale model.
Also, you will notice models of prototypes from the early design phase featuring some very interesting diagrid patterns.

9542BFA2-21C8-4FBF-AC67-A15EA0C34BD2.png
BC1EA400-08B2-4A93-B2DB-00B74A134D43.png
CFA3FDFB-C391-4671-ACAC-151E10F7F67C.png

Attachments

• 9542BFA2-21C8-4FBF-AC67-A15EA0C34BD2.png
    9542BFA2-21C8-4FBF-AC67-A15EA0C34BD2.png
    562.4 KB · Views: 492
  • BC1EA400-08B2-4A93-B2DB-00B74A134D43.png
    BC1EA400-08B2-4A93-B2DB-00B74A134D43.png
    853 KB · Views: 489
  • CFA3FDFB-C391-4671-ACAC-151E10F7F67C.png
    CFA3FDFB-C391-4671-ACAC-151E10F7F67C.png
    763.3 KB · Views: 483
Here’s a documentary I came across capturing Sam Mizrahi’s visits to Foster + Partners in London. I highly recommend viewing it (it’s short). I screencapped a few images from the documentary that show detailed close-ups of a scale model.
Also, you will notice models of prototypes from the early design phase featuring some very interesting diagrid patterns.

Those were at the Toronto of the Future exhibition back in the summer

20170629_183308.jpg

Back